IGNORED

'Jewish Taliban' flees Quebec for Ontario

memmy

OIIII

This story keeps showing up for me everywhere I look so I thought I should share it.

Jewish extremists fled Quebec just before they were to go court on allegations of child abuse.

cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013/11/22/21288371.html

What is the Taliban connection?

Just that they are fundies?

Taliban are in a league of their own way past regular fundies we snark on.

The press has been calling them the Jewish Taliban, I'm not sure the exact reasoning for that or whether they are borrowing the term from someone else. Here's what the Toronto Star article says about it:

“We are not ashamed of this name,†said Nacham Helbrans, 31. “Just as orthodox is a name for non-Jews beating up on the Jewish path of religion, they do the same thing today with the Taliban.â€

The only problem, he conceded, is that the Taliban brand is shifted from fundamentalist faith to the terrorist fight in Afghanistan.

“This is the only reason we are not happy with this name,†said the father of eight children, who range in age from 3 months to 12 years.

It doesn't sound like a very good situation.

There's a new article out that a judge has ordered two of the families back to Quebec to go to court (they were the only ones under investigation, I guess?). The parents will go head back to Quebec but not the kids, apparently.

www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/11/25/ ... uebec.html

And the first article: thestar.com/news/canada/2013/11/22/jewish_sect_says_exodus_from_quebec_tied_to_clash_with_education_authorities.html

What is the Taliban connection?

One article I read said it was because the way the women dress resembles the way the Taliban has women dress.

We discussed the group here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17540&p=558696&hilit=lev+tahor#p558696

We also speculated that "Dina" from the "Married at 12" blog might have been part of this group as well.

They are called the "Jewish Taliban" because the women practice veiling (no other Jewish group does face covering) and wear burka-like garments, and because they are so extreme that other ultra-Orthodox groups call them a crazy cult. There have been allegations of child abuse and child marriage.

I've dealt with the odd case where parents cross provincial borders while under investigation by child protection officials. [NOTE] What generally happens is that the local child protection agency in Quebec would contact the local child protection agency in Ontario to make a report, the local Ontario agency would open a file and start an investigation, and the Quebec agency would pass on whatever information it has. If the Ontario agency does find that the children are at risk, the would consider the risk of the parents fleeing the jurisdiction when deciding whether to apprehend the children into foster care. Lower-risk cases are often managed by a supervision order or by placing the children with someone in their extended family or community, but if they are higher risk the agency may decide that foster care is the safer option.

We discussed the group here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17540&p=558696&hilit=lev+tahor#p558696

We also speculated that "Dina" from the "Married at 12" blog might have been part of this group as well.

They are called the "Jewish Taliban" because the women practice veiling (no other Jewish group does face covering) and wear burka-like garments, and because they are so extreme that other ultra-Orthodox groups call them a crazy cult. There have been allegations of child abuse and child marriage.

I've dealt with the odd case where parents cross provincial borders while under investigation by child protection officials. [NOTE] What generally happens is that the local child protection agency in Quebec would contact the local child protection agency in Ontario to make a report, the local Ontario agency would open a file and start an investigation, and the Quebec agency would pass on whatever information it has. If the Ontario agency does find that the children are at risk, the would consider the risk of the parents fleeing the jurisdiction when deciding whether to apprehend the children into foster care. Lower-risk cases are often managed by a supervision order or by placing the children with someone in their extended family or community, but if they are higher risk the agency may decide that foster care is the safer option.

What happened to Dina's blog? I vaguely remember her blog.

I would love to know why they chose Chatham. And yeah, Quebec has stricter laws, but Ontario isn't the wild west... they're going to have to comply with the laws here, too, which I'm pretty sure include educating your children to a certain standard, not beating them or neglecting them, and not forcing them into underage marriages...

This is regarding the U.S. and individuals, not a large group in Canada, but the reasoning might be the same. In my experience, people under investigation for child abuse will sometimes move from one state to another in hopes that the case will get lost in the administrative black hole, which frequently happens. There are also big differences in what is considered abuse from state to state and they might move to a state which tolerates more abusive practices.

Archived