IGNORED

FRC: 'Nothing More Christian' Than Massive Food Stamp Cut -

I was thinking of donating Nutella to some food shelves as a "treat", along with the normal tuna fish pouches, peanut butter, jelly, rice, chili stuff, pasta sauce...

My mom (who runs a food shelf in northern Minnesota) said "no one knows what Nutella is and they won't want it." I highly doubt this. Just because SHE doesn't know what Nutella is, this doesn't mean her corner of the iron range doesn't know what it is...

I get it has marginal food value, but it is something poor people probably don't buy, and it isn't outright horrible, like Top Ramen.

I don't want to give it if it won't get eaten, but would love to make someone really happy if they do.

Opinions?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking of donating Nutella to some food shelves as a "treat", along with the normal tuna fish pouches, peanut butter, jelly, rice, chili stuff, pasta sauce...

My mom (who runs a food shelf in northern Minnesota) said "no one knows what Nutella is and they won't want it." I highly doubt this. Just because SHE doesn't know what Nutella is, this doesn't mean her corner of the iron range doesn't know what it is...

I get it has marginal food value, but it is something poor people probably don't buy, and it isn't outright horrible, like Top Ramen.

I don't want to give it if it won't get eaten, but would love to make someone really happy if they do.

Opinions?

Go for it. I would assume the popularity of Nutella varies by area, but I'm sure someone would love it. And it's really nice for people to get treats as well as basics.

May attitude about donating food is this: If you won't eat it, then don't donate it. I try to donate to my local food bank as much as possible. In fact, my alma mater is collecting food. And I'm going to donate some non-perishables. When I do donate I usually give canned soup, canned veggies, peanut butter, apple sauce, rice, etc. This stuff may not be gourmet or fresh but it's better than canned brains or expired spices.

I also donate clothing to a local thrift store (which reminds me-I have to do this shortly). But stained panties? That is just disgusting.

You're better off donating money. Cent for calorie, they get more bang for their buck from money. Why pay tax and supermarket markup when the food bank gets it wholesale?

I try to donate cash to most of the food banks or shelters I support, although will participate in the occasional "drive" (coats, blankets, OTC meds (new in the box) etc. We work with emergency managers and managing donations after an event often results in storing truckloads of out of date, unsorted clothing. If you have a mobile hospital with staff and supplies, certainly talk to emergency managers about sending that (if it is needed--Haiti earthquake type incident) otherwise, cash is king in donations. After the 2004 tsunami, people in Sri Lanka got boxes that included outdated food, spike heeled shoes and fur coats---so someone had to spend time sorting that instead of actually helping.

Also, when you send items overseas, you're not helping that much. It takes longer, it costs more, it requires a lot of man-hours to sort through, and you destabilize the local economy because the farmers and shopkeepers and whatnot no longer have anybody to sell to!

Send cash. They can buy food and clothes and what-not close to home.

My mom does the buying, and food shelves don't buy Nutella. Peanut butter? Yes. Tuna? Yes. But not "expensive" things like Nutella. I guess I could donate Nutella and some cash. I just want someone to have a really nice Christmas. I have been broke, and Nutella is the first thing to go. I missed it.

I don't donate anything I wouldn't wear or eat. No brains from me. :) My mom (when talking about the Nutella) said their organic spaghetti sauce sat on the shelf for several months, because people have the impression that "organic" means it tastes bad. I explained that Nutella is not healthy nor organic...and it would indeed be a treat for someone who likes it.

ETA: About 25 years ago, I got sentenced to community service. (Hey, it was college and I was protesting) Anyway, I had to donate 40 hours to Goodwill. I learned then that people will donate absolute shit and expect a tax form. Cat peed on, old clothes with rips and tears that "the poor people can sew up", broken toys and electronics that we can "fix." It really made me mad.

I probably learned more from that experience than from the semester of college. Which is why I won't even donate something that has a stain. If I won't wear it, why should a poor person have to wear it?

Actuallly, you inspired me. :D I bought a jar of Nutella today and it is going with my food donations Tuesday. I sincerely hope it calls to someone missing their chocolate fix. :mrgreen: I just can't see it having to live its life in the Land of Misfit Canned Goods.

My dad always told me, growing up, that when you were being generous, you DID NOT give people stuff you wouldn't use yourself. (Unless it's just that you don't like the taste of something... I don't like mushrooms or cherries, but I know a lot of people do, so I'd donate it.)

He always told me that if you bought all your clothes from the mall, and if you bought someone else a coat, then you needed to go to the same stores you'd go to, not take them to goodwill if you never shopped there yourself.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to make my thanksgiving donations.

Archived