IGNORED

FRC: 'Nothing More Christian' Than Massive Food Stamp Cut -

Josh should feel proud of his new buddy group.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/f ... -stamp-cut

Former Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell, now with the Family Research Council, said that the House GOP’s massive food stamp cuts that could remove around 4 million people from the program next year was an act of Christian compassion.

While many churches and Christians organizations denounced the move, Blackwell told the Christian Post that there was “nothing more Christian†than kicking low-income families off food stamps. He referred to food aid as part of the “plantation of big government†and said that churches and charitable organization will replace such government assistance.

Of course, the conservative news outlet also quoted Rev. Gary Cook of Bread for the World, who criticized the Republican plan and noted that the work of churches “is worth $4 billion dollars annually, which is essentially equal to the annual cut Congress is proposing in food stamps.â€

- See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/f ... Twc2x.dpuf

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't freaking get it. If Christians pay taxes, then why does it matter if helping the poor comes from taxes or churches? And does it really keep them from helping the poor just because others do it too?

I don't freaking get it. If Christians pay taxes, then why does it matter if helping the poor comes from taxes or churches? And does it really keep them from helping the poor just because others do it too?

Because with charity you get to help the folks YOU want to help. That means that you don't have to help anyone YOU consider to be undeserving. It's why charity doesn't work. We need a comprehensive, government run safety net program with clear criteria for aid based on non-subjective measures and with accountability.

I think the people that complain the most about helping the poor spend the least helping the poor. so they feel guilty so they attack others to make themselves feel better.

Our local food banks (county) are run by local churches. The church in the town where I live that handles the food bank has empty shelves. They are supposed to get trucks of stuff from the main warehouse for the food bank system for the county, but some weeks, there are no trucks, because there isn't anything to send.

Yet, these yahoos think that Churches are going to be able to take up the slack? They cannot keep up with the demand as it is. Talk about being absolutely detached from reality.

This reminds me, picked up some things to take over to the food bank. Have to drop it off tomorrow.

If all those mega churches actually did something for the poor with all the money they rake in it may make a difference. but they seem to help the least of all.

Also, there's a lot of mainstream churches losing membership to the point of closing. So even less Christian churches to help because of that.

I don't get how any organization can call cutting off food assistance to the poor as an act of Christian compassion. Quite the opposite.

Also, do these folks expect to live in a civil society? For all the stuff they advocate (cutting off food stamps, unemployment, no medical) eventually something will have to give.

In my area (I have recently relocated) there is a Baptist church that operates a food pantry and clothes closet once a week. I went there last week and got pants and a sweater to wear to work and a bag of groceries. That's when I found out that their policy is one person per household once a month. Don't know if this is the norm in all areas, but if it is, it won't be very effective at taking the place of food stamps.

then you have churches like one in my town who believe they have the right to dictate who is worthy and who isnt, leave food hiding in the back until it expires... then it can be given away! One time I went in for food and the pastor made me sweep the lobby to get it.

this same church yells about LETS FEED THE HUNGRY! STOMP OUT HUNGER! They hold an mma fight every year, proceeds going to their stomp out hunger program, have a food drive around the holidays... yet they are stingy about the food they give.

Because with charity you get to help the folks YOU want to help. That means that you don't have to help anyone YOU consider to be undeserving. It's why charity doesn't work. We need a comprehensive, government run safety net program with clear criteria for aid based on non-subjective measures and with accountability.

Well, that's not a very charitable attitude, is it? It's enough to make you wish for an afterlife! Maybe each of us going to the one our beliefs say we should deserve. It'd be hilarious to watch their faces as their deity chews them out for hypocrisy.

Josh should feel proud of his new buddy group.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/f ... -stamp-cut

Former Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell, now with the Family Research Council, said that the House GOP’s massive food stamp cuts that could remove around 4 million people from the program next year was an act of Christian compassion.

While many churches and Christians organizations denounced the move, Blackwell told the Christian Post that there was “nothing more Christian†than kicking low-income families off food stamps. He referred to food aid as part of the “plantation of big government†and said that churches and charitable organization will replace such government assistance.

Of course, the conservative news outlet also quoted Rev. Gary Cook of Bread for the World, who criticized the Republican plan and noted that the work of churches “is worth $4 billion dollars annually, which is essentially equal to the annual cut Congress is proposing in food stamps.â€

- See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/f ... Twc2x.dpuf

In a perfect world, this article would include Blackwell's home number so people could call them when their kids are hungry but there's neither food nor money to buy food, and Blackwell could direct them to local churches and charitable organizations. Also include his home address so after they get turned away from the overburdened food pantries, they can ask the Blackwells to step up to the charitable Christian plate (no pun intended unless you chortled).

Exactly. Not only can you determine how "worthy" a person is of your assistance, you can also require any number of things that would be unconstitutional through a gov'ment agency - listening to a sermon, participating in a drug treatment program endorsed by the church (faith-based groups), etc. On top of that, going to a food bank limits one's choices, generally to processed boxed and canned foods. With food stamps, you can choose fresh fruits and vegetables (whether or not they are cost effective is another matter). For example, at the farmer's market in my low-income neighborhood, most of the vegetable stands take EBT.

I know some people don't trust the government to be a safety net. Well, I also don't trust a church to look out for my best interests.

Yet, these yahoos think that Churches are going to be able to take up the slack? They cannot keep up with the demand as it is. Talk about being absolutely detached from reality.

Yep. Churches and charities often don't have a steady stream of funding and donated goods - but kids still have to be fed year-round, and poor people still need support even if it's January 15 and all the donors are compassion-fatigued from the holidays.

Taxpayer-funded programs provide some assurance that a family will get $X in grocery money on the same day each month (except of course when Republicans dick around and cut benefits). This is important not only for food security but also to ensure a measure of predictability and stability in their lives. Poor people are often at the mercy of others -- agencies, shelter staff, donors, etc. Taking away tax-funded support and making them rely on charities alone will undermine their psychological well-being and sense of stability, which is probably low to begin with. Instead of getting that regular check or amount on their EBT card, they'll constantly be wondering whether there will be any food at all this week.

Of course. It's much more Christian for men like Gil Bates who refuse to work and beg to support their giant family.

You forgot John Schrader, the ultimate grifter.

There is nothing more Christian than feeding the poor and helping others. That's what Jesus would have done. He would be disgusted by people who think that cutting food stamps is the Christian thing to do.

What's stopping the churches from helping people out right now? It's not like everyone on any kind of government assistance is so wealthy and well fed they never use the charity of a church or go to a foodbank. And I highly doubt that any time tax is lowered all these FRC people are setting aside that extra money to help the poor.

If you want smaller government that's your choice to vote that way. But don't cover that up with lies about how that is actually the more Christian thing to do.

And Ken will have to point out to me the verses in the Bible that support small government.

My uncle was a case worker/manager for welfare. He said that most of his clients were getting assistance from charities and churches in addition to government assistance. Private charities and churches can only do so much. Some churches do have limits on assistance. On some review site, there was a review from a woman who attends or attended Joel Osteen's church. She had fallen on hard times and contacted the benevolent department and was refused assistance. After I read that, my dislike for Osteen grew.

My uncle was a case worker/manager for welfare. He said that most of his clients were getting assistance from charities and churches in addition to government assistance. Private charities and churches can only do so much. Some churches do have limits on assistance. On some review site, there was a review from a woman who attends or attended Joel Osteen's church. She had fallen on hard times and contacted the benevolent department and was refused assistance. After I read that, my dislike for Osteen grew.

Your dislike is well-placed. I have friends who attend the Osteen church, and even among the members of the devoted flock, the running joke is that Joel's wife, Victoria, won't shop anywhere but the Galleria. For a frame of reference, the Galleria is the equivalent of Rodeo Drive in California, and is filled with upscale shops - everything is massively overpriced there.

Perhaps if Victoria Osteen had chosen to forego one of her regular shopping sprees there, likely paid for out of funds donated by the congregation, she could have used some of that money to help the woman who was in need.

the story of jesus feeding the multitude was in all four books of the Gospel. The birth of Jesus was in two. Raising Lazerus from the dead was in one, and if i remember correctly, turning the water into wine was in one.

Jesus' Death is in all four of course.

Seems to me, Jesus having compassion on the multitude after his cousin died, feeding them both spiritually and physically is just as important as his death and ressurection. He fed at least 5000. Thats not counting the women and children.

But of course the fundies know the bible the bestest of all, and I am probably wrong and going to hell for thinking such sacreligious thougbts.

I agree absolutely that you need a well funded government sponsored safety net. But it's also important to remember that charities, including faith based charities, help fill in the gaps that the government can't. They provide food and help to many people who aren't eligible for government services, like undocumented immigrants, someone recently unemployed who has no cash but too many hard assets to qualify for help, a family who is over strict government income limits but whose car broke down and they have to use their grocery money to repair it and keep their job, the 20 year old kid who is couch surfing and doing cash odd jobs, but has no documentation of any of that.....and on and on. It's the flexibility of charities that help many people to be fed.

please forgive me if I missed a post like this ....

Having been an administrator for non-profit charitable organizations who rely on monetary donations and donations of goods - is he aware that the goods people donate are often substandard?

A half-finished knitting project donated as a Christmas gift to a lower-income elderly woman.

Expired food, stained panties, worn backpacks, a couch with a spring sticking up out of the seat, food that few people eat (hello? really? canned brains??? - yes, they did) ..... and EXPIRED FOOD!!! and UNLABELED FOOD! (what was that supposed to be - like surprise gift? "I don't know what's in this can, so I'll give it to hungry people and get my tax write-off)

Most gifts and donations are nice, but there are folks who use donations sites as a way to clean out their pantry or their house. Not a viable option for people who can get some monetary assistance in the form of SNAP and buy non-expired foods where they know what's in the can and actually want to eat.

eta: just so's ya know.... cans of green beans pretty much stack up. However, dried beans, rice, canned meat (gross, I know, but it's shelf-stable), and although canned vegetables aren't the most nutritious, they are shelf-stable and can be stored at a food pantry - things like collard greens, beets, and corn are more desired than green beans. Well... I don't know if green beans are less desired (they were in my older adult group; they almost never took them) or if they're donated overly frequently. Do not donate canned brains.

please forgive me if I missed a post like this ....

Having been an administrator for non-profit charitable organizations who rely on monetary donations and donations of goods - is he aware that the goods people donate are often substandard?

A half-finished knitting project donated as a Christmas gift to a lower-income elderly woman.

Expired food, stained panties, worn backpacks, a couch with a spring sticking up out of the seat, food that few people eat (hello? really? canned brains??? - yes, they did) ..... and EXPIRED FOOD!!! and UNLABELED FOOD! (what was that supposed to be - like surprise gift? "I don't know what's in this can, so I'll give it to hungry people and get my tax write-off)

Most gifts and donations are nice, but there are folks who use donations sites as a way to clean out their pantry or their house. Not a viable option for people who can get some monetary assistance in the form of SNAP and buy non-expired foods where they know what's in the can and actually want to eat.

eta: just so's ya know.... cans of green beans pretty much stack up. However, dried beans, rice, canned meat (gross, I know, but it's shelf-stable), and although canned vegetables aren't the most nutritious, they are shelf-stable and can be stored at a food pantry - things like collard greens, beets, and corn are more desired than green beans. Well... I don't know if green beans are less desired (they were in my older adult group; they almost never took them) or if they're donated overly frequently. Do not donate canned brains.

Those things don't matter to assholes like that :roll: , but it is nice to see fuckers like that reap what they sow :lol: .

Archived