IGNORED

Samuel Phillips, Doug's brother

thoughtful

His sister Jennifer is an actress in New York. I am resisting the urge to put the word actress in quotation marks.

facebook.com/jennifer.phillips.96?hc_location=stream

The third sister is the only one who has heeded Doug's command to be a homemaker. Can't remember her name off the top of my head.

She seems pretty normal and certainly non fundie.

I think the girls turned out way better than the boys in this family. How can someone raise such different kids?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mom's FB page: 5 of her 6 children are on her friends list. Just one tool is missing.

Hmm... Yes, as recently as June 23, she was "liking" something on the Vision Forum page, but now she and Doug not friends. And how odd that the wife of the founder of the Constitution Party "likes" Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.

ETA: Actually, she must have "liked" the post from Doug's Blog in June 2012. It's not very clear.

Are we 100% positive this is the same Sam Phillips? I have not been able to find anything linking Samuel J. Phillips, webmaster and contributor to Occidental Quarterly, and Doug's annoying non-union acting brother. Perfectly fine to be proven wrong of course, but I did a bunch of googling and found nothing between them but a similar name.

Are we 100% positive this is the same Sam Phillips? I have not been able to find anything linking Samuel J. Phillips, webmaster and contributor to Occidental Quarterly, and Doug's annoying non-union acting brother. Perfectly fine to be proven wrong of course, but I did a bunch of googling and found nothing between them but a similar name.

His middle initial is definitely J., as we can see from his father's Wikipedia page: Samuel Joshua Phillips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Phi ... politician)

But you have asked a good question. I just can't imagine anyone who is half-Jewish-- even from that insane family-- interacting on a site like that with rabid anti-Semites.

His middle initial is definitely J., as we can see from his father's Wikipedia page: Samuel Joshua Phillips.

But you have asked a good question. I just can't imagine anyone who is half-Jewish-- even from that insane family-- interacting on a site like that with rabid anti-Semites.

Sam Phillips is such a common name. I just can't imagine if this was true that some of the "watch" blogs would not have run with this. It is much juicier than Brad's film debacle in some ways. I googled for an hour last night and found zero connection between the two - nothing. Sam FRANCIS is the associate editor. Samuel J. PHILLIPS was the webmaster and writer and sat on the editorial board. I can't find anything on him outside the reference in the OQ

From the Occidental Quarterly's Wikipedia page:

"They explicitly reject neoconservatism and call for a 'third school' to emerge from paleoconservatism in the form of an ideology of Western European identity politics, and holds that the American political order of freedom and liberty is under ethnic and ideological threat from mostly Jewish ideologies. Its foreign policy positions, broadly, are anti-immigration with the exception of those from other industrialized Western nations, and non-interventionism, including the rejection of influence from Israel and Mexico on U.S. politics."

Let me preface this by saying that I have no idea whether this is the same "Samuel J. Phillips" or not, but it is important to remember that unlike most right-wing "Christian" nuts, Dominionists/Reconstructionists like Howard and Doug Phillips do not see Israel as any more important than any other country, and do not view Jews as "the Chosen People." The chosen people are "God's Elect," and the closest thing they have to a holy land is Scotland, where the Covenanters did their thing.

To Dominionists/Reconstructionists Jews are not "automatically saved," they are just heathens, bound for hell like all other heathens. This explains the disconnect Howard and Doug have from their ancestry, and whether Sam ever worked for the O.Q. or not, it's hard to believe that there wouldn't be some major identity problems in this family. But enough to interact politely with anti-Semitic, white nationalists? That is the question.

I'd be curious to know if he's a traditionalist Catholic. I know from personal experience that there are a lot of racists and antisemites in the rad-trad movement.

He is a graduate of Christendom College, probably the #1 traditional Catholic college in the U.S. The St. Paul, MN family who produce and edit The Wanderer, a very traditional Catholic newspaper, send their children to college there. Of the people I know who are very traditional I've not known any to be racist and anti-Semite.

I think there are 2 different Samuel Phillips, and Doug's brother is not the one running the white power site.

I researched Mr. Howard Phillips (henceforth "Mr. Howard," or "Mr. H" as I was trained to give the dead an honorific no matter who or what) and can find no evidence that the guy was a hate-monger.

Granted, he was passionately and inflexibly devoted to the preservation of the US Constitution, to the point that he abandoned any real hope of making a political difference when he quit Mr. Nixon's Republican Party over what he saw as short-sighted compromises to conservative beliefs.

Granted, he was anti-choice, but I can find no evidence that he endorsed violence as a counter-measure.

He wasn't even a patriarch in DP's sense, as is shown by his daughter Alessandra's opera career, which he encouraged and endorsed.

How did he produce at least 2 self-serving, conscience-free sons?

I can't find any references to him as a hater. The NY Times, for goodness' sake, printed a straight-up obituary reviewing his life and acknowledging his unyielding conservative values and attitudes and work, but never reported on him as an extremist.

One acquaintance is quoted as fondly recalling how while Mr. H was proud of his children, he'd forget their names regularly. Well, the source isn't clear about what time period this was - Mr. H began to present symptoms of dementia in 2011 IIRC and even before that, I know plenty of fathers of 3 or fewer who don't remember names but can speak proudly of "my 3-year-old, my middle-school son," etc.

How did this guy produce Doug and Brad, whose self-serving, self-promoting, self-aggrandizing actions have led to the deaths of many (the African Christians whose whereabouts and identities were betrayed when Brad stole and prematurely distributed the video) and to the misery of who-knows-how-many (DP's "other woman," her family, the Epsteins, ad infinitum ad nauseam?)

He apparently embraced Christianity well after his marriage to a Roman Catholic woman and chose a Protestant denomination, not insisting that the Mrs. change denominations.

He was not patriarchal in DP's sense of the word, with one daughter who married rather traditionally, one who has visible means of support as an opera soprano living in Germany (after years working in the USA) and another who lives in NYC as an actress- and if her CV isn't on FB, oh well! The point is, she's supporting herself somehow, independent and apparently still holds her parents in high regard.

I don't get it. It doesn't appear that Mrs. H would've encouraged Doug & Brad to the selfish, brutish ambitions they show. I mean, Mrs. apparently lived in peace with the knowledge that her husband was a Protestant. That's acceptance, that's love, that's not exactly widespread for folks of their generation. (They're a bit older than me, and I remember clearly folks of their age who told their parents to take a hike when they decided to cross-marry between Roman and non-Roman denominations. Or the parents told them to do so.)

Were/are the boys intent upon impressing their father? Doug spoke emotionally when Mr. H passed away early this year, and well he might have. Only he and his brothers know what their father was like, what he expected of them.

Let me put it personally. Big Dad JB was about as straight-arrow as you could get, and he was the son of some very straight-laced Victorians, wasn't big on compliments nor hugs nor daddy-child bonding. But all of us respected and loved him and NONE OF US resorted to criminality or blatant disregard for our fellow men in trying to Make Dad Proud.

Simply: I don't know what to make of it. I don't know why two of three brothers - and two of six children - would go down such immoral paths as have two of the Phillips boys.

(I've got a list of links of Mr. H's obits, really the only non-Phillips-generated info I've been able to find, and will add them later if there's interest.)

This is the Sam Phillips who is brother to Alexandra Phillips (a.k.a Alessandra Rossi-Filippi):

https://www.facebook.com/sam.phillips.7 ... arget_id=0

There's a picture of him and he has what, to my mind, is a very, very Jewish look. Put some payot on him and a kippah and he'd blend in pretty well at any Modern Orthodox yeshiva.

I have a hard time believing this would not be noticed by a bunch of white supremacists.

I researched Mr. Howard Phillips (henceforth "Mr. Howard," or "Mr. H" as I was trained to give the dead an honorific no matter who or what) and can find no evidence that the guy was a hate-monger.

Granted, he was passionately and inflexibly devoted to the preservation of the US Constitution, to the point that he abandoned any real hope of making a political difference when he quit Mr. Nixon's Republican Party over what he saw as short-sighted compromises to conservative beliefs.

Granted, he was anti-choice, but I can find no evidence that he endorsed violence as a counter-measure.

He wasn't even a patriarch in DP's sense, as is shown by his daughter Alessandra's opera career, which he encouraged and endorsed.

How did he produce at least 2 self-serving, conscience-free sons?

I can't find any references to him as a hater. The NY Times, for goodness' sake, printed a straight-up obituary reviewing his life and acknowledging his unyielding conservative values and attitudes and work, but never reported on him as an extremist.

One acquaintance is quoted as fondly recalling how while Mr. H was proud of his children, he'd forget their names regularly. Well, the source isn't clear about what time period this was - Mr. H began to present symptoms of dementia in 2011 IIRC and even before that, I know plenty of fathers of 3 or fewer who don't remember names but can speak proudly of "my 3-year-old, my middle-school son," etc.

How did this guy produce Doug and Brad, whose self-serving, self-promoting, self-aggrandizing actions have led to the deaths of many (the African Christians whose whereabouts and identities were betrayed when Brad stole and prematurely distributed the video) and to the misery of who-knows-how-many (DP's "other woman," her family, the Epsteins, ad infinitum ad nauseam?)

He apparently embraced Christianity well after his marriage to a Roman Catholic woman and chose a Protestant denomination, not insisting that the Mrs. change denominations.

He was not patriarchal in DP's sense of the word, with one daughter who married rather traditionally, one who has visible means of support as an opera soprano living in Germany (after years working in the USA) and another who lives in NYC as an actress- and if her CV isn't on FB, oh well! The point is, she's supporting herself somehow, independent and apparently still holds her parents in high regard.

I don't get it. It doesn't appear that Mrs. H would've encouraged Doug & Brad to the selfish, brutish ambitions they show. I mean, Mrs. apparently lived in peace with the knowledge that her husband was a Protestant. That's acceptance, that's love, that's not exactly widespread for folks of their generation. (They're a bit older than me, and I remember clearly folks of their age who told their parents to take a hike when they decided to cross-marry between Roman and non-Roman denominations. Or the parents told them to do so.)

Were/are the boys intent upon impressing their father? Doug spoke emotionally when Mr. H passed away early this year, and well he might have. Only he and his brothers know what their father was like, what he expected of them.

Let me put it personally. Big Dad JB was about as straight-arrow as you could get, and he was the son of some very straight-laced Victorians, wasn't big on compliments nor hugs nor daddy-child bonding. But all of us respected and loved him and NONE OF US resorted to criminality or blatant disregard for our fellow men in trying to Make Dad Proud.

Simply: I don't know what to make of it. I don't know why two of three brothers - and two of six children - would go down such immoral paths as have two of the Phillips boys.

(I've got a list of links of Mr. H's obits, really the only non-Phillips-generated info I've been able to find, and will add them later if there's interest.)

It's always seemed to me like Howard "gave" Samuel to Peggy to raise as she saw fit, like she deserved it after all she'd been through.

Dad probably dismissed the value of the daughters... the were going to be ruled over by others. But the boys were likely aimed at different areas to take dominion over... the 7 speheres or whatever.

t's always seemed to me like Howard "gave" Samuel to Peggy to raise as she saw fit, like she deserved it after all she'd been

My darlin' DWT , can you elaborate?

Ever heard of "self-hating Jews"? It happens, sadly.

True but there are also more than one Samuel J. Phillips. From all I have read I do not think Doug's little brother is the white supremacist.

Dad probably dismissed the value of the daughters... the were going to be ruled over by others. But the boys were likely aimed at different areas to take dominion over... the 7 speheres or whatever.

My darlin' DWT , can you elaborate?

Sam is a lot younger than his siblings. By the time he was school aged, Doug was in college and already drinking the Dominionist Kool Aid. One can only imagine how Peggy felt, seeing her eldest reject her faith. I think it was probably really important to her that Sam be raised Catholic and remain a Catholic.

Sam is a lot younger than his siblings. By the time he was school aged, Doug was in college and already drinking the Dominionist Kool Aid. One can only imagine how Peggy felt, seeing her eldest reject her faith. I think it was probably really important to her that Sam be raised Catholic and remain a Catholic.

Samuel was also homeschooled. I don't think the other children were.

Yes, I know. I'm not denying that it could be him, just saying that even from the Phillips family, it would be shocking. And that's saying a lot, because almost nothing these people do shocks me anymore.

f6diaries.wordpress.com

Alexandras tribute to her dad is the second post

What a beautiful tribute by a loving daughter.

Archived