IGNORED

Seppis say...no epi in allergic reaction?

sableduck

They still have it posted on facebook.

From personal experience, epi-pens are about as traumatic to the body as the allergen (in my case bee stings). I asked an EMT about this story. He said that the girl died of Epinephrine over-dose. Epinephrine, he explained, dilates the blood cells and causes the heart to beat faster. [Epi-pens also cause vomiting.] In the 3 epi-pens given were about 5 epi-doses. Her heart simple couldn't take it. We have found lobelia to be a life saving herb. It relaxes the bronchial tree (so I can breathe) and causes much needed vomiting. When needed a tincture is the easiest way for me to take lobelia. ~Melody

They still have it posted on facebook.

From personal experience, epi-pens are about as traumatic to the body as the allergen (in my case bee stings). I asked an EMT about this story. He said that the girl died of Epinephrine over-dose. Epinephrine, he explained, dilates the blood cells and causes the heart to beat faster. [Epi-pens also cause vomiting.] In the 3 epi-pens given were about 5 epi-doses. Her heart simple couldn't take it. We have found lobelia to be a life saving herb. It relaxes the bronchial tree (so I can breathe) and causes much needed vomiting. When needed a tincture is the easiest way for me to take lobelia. ~Melody

If Melody's allergic to bees, why do they have beehives?

I'm surprised her flawless SODRT logic hasn't concluded that epinephrine dilates something, what was it? ah, yes, it dilates the cervix, and therefore causes abortions, and zomg babeez.

One of the fundamental truths is that the more educated you are, the more you are aware of what you don't know. It's funny how the more misinformed and lacking in critical thinking fundies are, the more they're convinced they are so much smarter than, you know, people who actually studied science and medicine.

I once worked in a pharmacy and prepared an epinephrine prescription for someone, and as I was checking her order out, she stopped and said, "Oh, it's a needle? No, no, I don't want that anymore. Put it back." Like, what? I asked her to talk with the pharmacist, as that med has iffy 'go-back' rules, and she declined the med even after talking to the pharmacist. I don't mean to be judging, but if a doctor diagnoses you with severe enough allergies that you need it, maybe it's a good idea? Maybe there were some needle-phobia issues I didn't know about (and I apologize for sounding crass if that's the case) but it seemed like such a bad idea to turn down.

I once worked in a pharmacy and prepared an epinephrine prescription for someone, and as I was checking her order out, she stopped and said, "Oh, it's a needle? No, no, I don't want that anymore. Put it back." Like, what? I asked her to talk with the pharmacist, as that med has iffy 'go-back' rules, and she declined the med even after talking to the pharmacist. I don't mean to be judging, but if a doctor diagnoses you with severe enough allergies that you need it, maybe it's a good idea? Maybe there were some needle-phobia issues I didn't know about (and I apologize for sounding crass if that's the case) but it seemed like such a bad idea to turn down.

I find it very strange that whoever prescribed the Rx to that lady didn't walk her through how to inject it, and what it involved, at the time it was prescribed. I recently had gestational diabetes, and the nutritionist at my OBGYN's had me practice extensively with the needles before I left the office (and I wasn't thrilled at the idea of injecting myself with insulin daily, but I had to learn how to do it).

Several weeks ago, I had the misfortune of watching my very first, full blown anaphylatic reaction. It occurred in a ten-month-old infant. I don't ever want to see anything like that again.

The child was administered a type of chemotherapy that triggered it. He began having spasms and coughing, and was quickly losing oxygen because he was crying so hard due to pain, fear and confusion. It took only seconds for the child to begin to turn bright red, then blue. An epi pen was quickly administered, and he was taken to the hospital wing where he could be stabilized.

Does Miss No-Epi Seppi think she could have helped this child with her herbal tincture? Does she honestly believe that she would have had the skill and time to stabilize a baby that was in such critical condition? Would she want to be held accountable for recommending an herb that, in all likelihood, could not have been prepared and administered correctly within the timeframe needed to save the infant from dying?

When such a reaction occurs, things go downhill fast, and you don't have time to rummage around in a cupboard and prepare a mixture that may not even work - you lose life-saving seconds that way. I hope Melody reads here and actually learns something from those who have endured and witnessed actual anaphylactic reactions.

Pro-life my shiny metal ass.

My husband forages and has for years. He knows the names and properties of every wild plant in our area, and while he's far more interested in foraging for edible plants he knows a lot about medicinal ones. According to him lobelia shouldn't be touched except under a Dr or herbalist' s care, it's nickname is pukeweed! On top of severe vomiting it causes stomach cramping, dizziness, sweating, racing heartbeat, diarrhea... can you imagine being put through that in lieu of an epi pen? I mean, even if it works, and it probably doesn't, WHY?! Idiots.

And these dieticians say dairy is evil. Why do they remind me of the guy who works at Whole Foods that stocks shelves and provides sketchy advice on foods and supplements? And I would trust the Whole Foods guy more than the Seppis.

I'd trust SableDuck's toddler more than these yahoos. They are on an Arndt level of weird to me.

edited to add: are they the ones who only have the unmarried children in the blog header?

I am notorious for standing on my head to avoid my epi-pen. I take Benadryl at the first sign and get steroids in my system fast. I once yelled at my doctor sister who was intent upon giving me epi that she would give the steroids time to work first. I told her it's not time to use my epi-pen until I no longer care how much that damn thing is going to hurt.

I've had to stick myself with my pen before. It's not pretty and it's not fun and you must head to an ER to be monitored if you use one. I would be dead if someone used an herbal tincture instead. There is NO WAY any fool could think herbs can actually take the place of an epi-pen in the moment one is truly needed!

In EMT training (I passed the exam but never worked in the field so I am not an EMT, and my exam is way expired anyway), they described the epi pen reaction as just awful, causing vomiting and heart-racing and feeling like you're going to die. So don't play with them, kids. But those reactions ARE BETTER THAN CHOKING TO DEATH from an anaphylactic reaction.

People. Feh.

melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2013/11/epi-pen-death.html

Don't take epi, because you can overdose on an epi pen? Take lobelia instead in anaphylaxis?

ARE THESE PEOPLE F-ing for REAL???

I am a paramedic and an anaphylactic. I think she was just making this stuff up, because her explanation on how epinephrine works in the body is absolutely wrong.

Even my three-year-old has a better grasp of how the human body works than she does.

I'm in bed with my SO who is a paramedic, and his exact words were: "These people are fucking nuts and one day one them is going to die from anaphylaxis." His next comment: "Where the hell did they get their medical training?" My epi pen has saved my life on many occasions. I'm allergic to bees and wasps.

well on their blog they state a new article about how the pertussis vaccine is what is causing the outbreak of whooping cough in this country. I truly believe they are the craziest of them all in every way.

well on their blog they state a new article about how the pertussis vaccine is what is causing the outbreak of whooping cough in this country. I truly believe they are the craziest of them all in every way.

There actually is some science behind DTaP not being as effective as the older DTP vaccine. They formulated acellular pertussis vaccine because the older vaccine caused so many bad reactions -- high fevers, seizures, etc. It is thought now that the DTaP is allowing a resurgence of pertussis. Still not a reason to eschew all vaccines or even the DTaP and TDaP now. Some protection is better than none.

There actually is some science behind DTaP not being as effective as the older DTP vaccine. They formulated acellular pertussis vaccine because the older vaccine caused so many bad reactions -- high fevers, seizures, etc. It is thought now that the DTaP is allowing a resurgence of pertussis. Still not a reason to eschew all vaccines or even the DTaP and TDaP now. Some protection is better than none.

The correct response to that is to mobilize adult vaccination which is where the less effective vaccine is seen.

I can't find the pertussis thing on their blog. What exactly do they say? Do you have a quote or a link?

God, nobody tell them their bodies are full of epinephrine right now.

I can't find the pertussis thing on their blog. What exactly do they say? Do you have a quote or a link?

God, nobody tell them their bodies are full of epinephrine right now.

From their FB:

Epinephrine, he explained, dilates the blood cells and causes the heart to beat faster.

Or that epinepherine doesn't dilate blood cells. Blood cells (and I assume she meant red blood cells, as opposed to white blood cells and platelets) are quite content being the size they are.

I'm kinda suspicious of the article in the link. "'We gave her Benadryl like we'd been told,' Natalie's father said." Her dad is a doctor, and this isn't the kind of response a doctor would give. But this blog isn't about logic, I've deduced after skimming through it. Something I found on the first page (who knows what other stupid stuff is on other pages):

About beeswax, which of course they sell:

I know I don't want to be vacuuming up the negative ions that are scattered everywhere.

Spoke too soon: melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2013/04/stem-cells.html

Seriously??

I always love it so much when fundie bloggers post something that would be, with a few words replaced here and there, totally indistinguishable from a pagan or New Age blog. It seriously makes my entire day.

I find it very strange that whoever prescribed the Rx to that lady didn't walk her through how to inject it, and what it involved, at the time it was prescribed. I recently had gestational diabetes, and the nutritionist at my OBGYN's had me practice extensively with the needles before I left the office (and I wasn't thrilled at the idea of injecting myself with insulin daily, but I had to learn how to do it).

That does seem really weird. My son's godmother has anaphylaxis to bee stings and carries an epi-pen. Even though she is desperately needlephobic, her doctor made both her and her wife practice doing the injection so it would be familiar if either of them ever needs to use it.

I too am deathly allergic to yellow jacket venom, and carry epi pens. I almost died because I thought I could drive myself to the hospital. My pens come with a practice pen, you can practice using it and reset it as much as needed. I make sure everyone knows where it is if I'm someplace I could encounter one and my family isn't around.

Relying on an herb is dependant on having it close by, but knowing fundies, the would never be someplace alone and ungarded.... ....

All true, but in true fundie SOTDRT logic they take the data that says the vaccine is less effective and somehow morph that into "the vaccine causes the disease". It of course, does not. It still prevents the disease. The disease is still caused by Bordetella pertussis not the killed vaccine. Science, it's not that hard, really!

That does seem really weird. My son's godmother has anaphylaxis to bee stings and carries an epi-pen. Even though she is desperately needlephobic, her doctor made both her and her wife practice doing the injection so it would be familiar if either of them ever needs to use it.

I wondered if she was picking up for someone else and never got the explanation, but then that wouldn't really explain /her/ needle phobia making her decline the meds. It was one of the most bizarre experiences at work I had. I didn't know that the doctors make you practice with it (although it makes sense, bit of a sharper learning curve than just gulping a pill) but it was so strange. I didn't see her again but I hope someone close to her insisted on filling the prescription somewhere.

All true, but in true fundie SOTDRT logic they take the data that says the vaccine is less effective and somehow morph that into "the vaccine causes the disease". It of course, does not. It still prevents the disease. The disease is still caused by Bordetella pertussis not the killed vaccine. Science, it's not that hard, really!

Science isn't hard when you don't explain it away with religion.

Archived