IGNORED

Seppis say...no epi in allergic reaction?

sableduck

melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2013/11/epi-pen-death.html

Don't take epi, because you can overdose on an epi pen? Take lobelia instead in anaphylaxis?

ARE THESE PEOPLE F-ing for REAL???

I am a paramedic and an anaphylactic. I think she was just making this stuff up, because her explanation on how epinephrine works in the body is absolutely wrong.

Even my three-year-old has a better grasp of how the human body works than she does.

I want to tell this SOTDRT scientist to kiss my shiny metal ass. I carry epi for bee stings and there is not a tincture of anything that will stop that train wreck with me. If Benadryl and Epi couldn't stop a reaction with that poor girl I highly doubt that tincture of troll's balls or powdered fairy wing batshit would have made a difference. You keep treating your bee sting allergy with tincture of whatever the fuck Fundie girl. I will just call it population control.

I don't really wish anyone dead. That is just some stupid shit.

I'm also an anaphylactic and carry an epi-pen. For me, a lot of the comfort is knowing that it's always on, or very near, my person. I can only imagine trying to find a damned herb in the middle of the confusion and fear of an allergy attack of that nature.

And why does she say in one breath that epi-pens cause vomiting as though it's a bad thing but in the next claim that the herb causes much needed vomiting??

And why does she say in one breath that epi-pens cause vomiting as though it's a bad thing but in the next claim that the herb causes much needed vomiting??

Because, as ever, logic is never a strong suit in these people.

I will say that she posted my comment. Which surprised me.

I teach EMT-basic classes. We don't really discuss exactly how Epi works because a basic class is just that--basic life support until advanced life support(i.e. paramedics) arrive. The EMT she talked to clearly has zero idea what he/she is talking about, or she just made it up.

Blood cells dilating? WTF?

(And i will admit that my 3-year-old is bright and has two paramedic parents and numerous relatives in emergency medicine, and listens to a lot of conversations, but I just asked him if blood cells dilate and he is like, duh, Mom, blood VESSELS dilate)

edited because I really can spell correctly

Because, as ever, logic is never a strong suit in these people.

Logic is a foreign word to these people. Allergies are nothing to fool around with, my oldest brother is deathly allergic to wasps and I can remember him turning blue on the way to the hospital.

That advice could kill somebody. I wonder if she could be held liable in any way if someone who reads her blog gives their child lobelia for an anaphylactic reaction, instead of seeking proper medical treatment.

And these dieticians say dairy is evil. Why do they remind me of the guy who works at Whole Foods that stocks shelves and provides sketchy advice on foods and supplements? And I would trust the Whole Foods guy more than the Seppis.

ok so you are going to hunt around for lobilia when needed how would you get it down a person if they are really having a real reaction? But hey it is perfectly ok with god if you make godly commandments.

Omg my daughter has anaphylaxis to the latex group. You don't fuck about with that. We always have an epi pen with us. Always. Without the epi pen she wouldn't be here now. Fuckwits.

Hang on, hang on ... I remember my last allergic reaction vividly. Two things stick in my mind; (1) I can't breathe and (2) I am vomiting. How on earth am I suppose to take a tincture of anything?

'Lobelia has been a life saver for me!!!'

Would I be right to assume these idiots are talking about the mild discomfort most people suffer from bee-stings and mixing it up with ANAPHYLAXIS a potentially life threatening allergy?

I'm not sure which is more horrifying, them mixing up a mild topical reaction with a severe systemic one, or not knowing the difference, or even worse and surely not, asking a true anaphylactic to eschew the first line life saving drug.....for a bloody flower. No?

'Lobelia has been a life saver for me!!!'

Would I be right to assume these idiots are talking about the mild discomfort most people suffer from bee-stings and mixing it up with ANAPHYLAXIS a potentially life threatening allergy?

That was my thought. I'm sensitive to certain foods. Peaches, for example, sometimes make me mildly uncomfortable. But, with time or a quick shot of Benadryl, I'm fine. Carrots or walnuts, however, and I've got a one way ticket to the ER. No way would I have time to fuck around. Gimme my epi-pen, put me in the car and let's see if we can get me to the hospital before my airway completely closes.

And these dieticians say dairy is evil. Why do they remind me of the guy who works at Whole Foods that stocks shelves and provides sketchy advice on foods and supplements? And I would trust the Whole Foods guy more than the Seppis.

Dairy is evil. :shifty:

Did she really say epi causes dilation? I refuse the read the crap, but seriously, epi causes vasoconstriction counteracting the vasodilation and drop in blood pressure caused by the anaphylactic reaction. It does cause bronchodilation, but I don't it sounds like she meant that. Does the woman not have access to Google and the ability to type in "epinephrine mechanism of action"???

When my son was around 5 or 6, he got into my purse and popped himself with my adult dose Epi-Pen. I assume that would qualify as an overdose given his age and the fact he was very tiny for his age. I took him straight to the ER and he was monitored for a few hours and let go. His heart rate was a little elevated, but otherwise there was nothing to show but a slight swelling where he stuck himself. I don't doubt that some people have had deadly reactions to an Epi-Pen. I would be willing to bet most of those people have some kind of underlying, undiagnosed heart condition though.

Several weeks ago, I had the misfortune of watching my very first, full blown anaphylatic reaction. It occurred in a ten-month-old infant. I don't ever want to see anything like that again.

The child was administered a type of chemotherapy that triggered it. He began having spasms and coughing, and was quickly losing oxygen because he was crying so hard due to pain, fear and confusion. It took only seconds for the child to begin to turn bright red, then blue. An epi pen was quickly administered, and he was taken to the hospital wing where he could be stabilized.

Does Miss No-Epi Seppi think she could have helped this child with her herbal tincture? Does she honestly believe that she would have had the skill and time to stabilize a baby that was in such critical condition? Would she want to be held accountable for recommending an herb that, in all likelihood, could not have been prepared and administered correctly within the timeframe needed to save the infant from dying?

When such a reaction occurs, things go downhill fast, and you don't have time to rummage around in a cupboard and prepare a mixture that may not even work - you lose life-saving seconds that way. I hope Melody reads here and actually learns something from those who have endured and witnessed actual anaphylactic reactions.

Epinephrine saved my teenage nephew's life when he went into a full-blown anaphylactic reaction after eating a plain bagel (we later learned it had been made with the same equipment that had produced the "flavor of the month," banana-walnut). The Seppis are idiots. I wouldn't trust them to find their way out of a wet paper bag.

I'm kinda suspicious of the article in the link. "'We gave her Benadryl like we'd been told,' Natalie's father said." Her dad is a doctor, and this isn't the kind of response a doctor would give. But this blog isn't about logic, I've deduced after skimming through it. Something I found on the first page (who knows what other stupid stuff is on other pages):

About beeswax, which of course they sell:

Beeswax has a totally clean non-toxic burn. Beeswax, when burned, emits negative ions. As in a rain storm, which is a negatively charged event, burning beeswax will clean the air. This happens when negative ions attach to positively charged ions that are holding dust, molds and other airborne contaminants. This attachment weights the positive ions and drops both the positive ions and the contaminants to the ground surface to be swept up and vacuumed.

I know I don't want to be vacuuming up the negative ions that are scattered everywhere.

Spoke too soon: melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2013/04/stem-cells.html

Seriously??

BTW, it looks like she's scrubbed the post. There's no "explanation" of how she thinks epi pens work now. This makes the anonymous comment (that she didn't acknowledge) explaining how wrong she was look a little weird.

Classy.

I was the anonymous comment--I don't know why it didn't put my google ID in, but I did post my name and qualifications in the comment. Yes, she really did state that epi caused vasodilation according to some EMT she talked to. And that lobelia causes vomiting, which according to her you want in anaphylaxis, and reduces the breathing difficulties.

I attempted to explain to her how epi really works.

As far as that article, the girl's death was widely reported in a lot of the allergy blogs and websites I read. IIRC, up until that point she had a history of mild reactions to peanuts, which is why her doctors had told her parents to give her benadryl first. She did have epi pens and they were administered, but Melody is wrong when she says the girl died of an epi overdose(what huh? I can't even...). She died tragically of anaphylaxis.

Have you seen the newest post on the Seppi blog? It includes this gem

One of the best things to do with these desires is to communicate - with your parents. Listen to them. Do not despise their counsel. Only "fools despise wisdom and instruction." (Pro. 1:7) For a long time my father said, Melody, you should write, read Rushdoony, exercise your gifts, lose 10 lb...

Seriously? That's his advice?

Archived