IGNORED

The honeymooners are back from Ireland.

Justme

I was surprised they went to Ireland. Did they choose Ireland because Erin means Ireland or because their families have an Irish heritage?

If they though Ireland is a religious country, it's not exactly true, or at least is not true in a fundie way. In Ireland, specially in Dublin, you see a lot of modern people whose clothes would terrify Erin. Also, beer is a part of their culture. The beautiful churches and monasteries are catholic. So what did Erin and Chad do? didn't went to any pub, to any catholic place, probably to any museum (I don't see them visiting James Joyce Museum!). Ok, you can still visit the beautiful streets or nice sorroundings, castles, restaurants... but anyway, I think Florida could have been cheaper and more enjoyable for this couple.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it'll take long...a few months maybe. Her mom was extremely fertile, they don't believe in birth control, I'm sure both families are looking forward to grandchildren, Gothard would approve, etc. I can see her happy with kids, though I don't remember reading anything about her looking forward to them.

kelly actually said that she knows zach and erin's stances on birth control, but she does not know what whitney and chad's opinions on the matter are, and that they are old enough and responsible enough to decide for themselves.

take that as you will, but i believe if they were going to allow the lord to bless them whenever/wherever, kelly would have said so.

I was surprised they went to Ireland. Did they choose Ireland because Erin means Ireland or because their families have an Irish heritage?

If they though Ireland is a religious country, it's not exactly true, or at least is not true in a fundie way. In Ireland, specially in Dublin, you see a lot of modern people whose clothes would terrify Erin. Also, beer is a part of their culture. The beautiful churches and monasteries are catholic. So what did Erin and Chad do? didn't went to any pub, to any catholic place, probably to any museum (I don't see them visiting James Joyce Museum!). Ok, you can still visit the beautiful streets or nice sorroundings, castles, restaurants... but anyway, I think Florida could have been cheaper and more enjoyable for this couple.

They solved that by not going to Dublin. They went to the Dingle Peninsula, on the west coast. Beautiful, but mostly scenery/hiking, NOT literature (Oscar Wilde, anyone?), people with green hair, or (Catholic) cathedrals. I don't remember many restaurants outside of pubs though; that was years ago though.

blog.thebatesfamily.com/2013/10/21/a-majesty-music-christmas/#comment-16367

that scene had always stuck with me too. I guess you are nicer than I am to say she is not "emotionally strong". I just thought she was a selfish drama queen. her being upset was upsetting the younger ones and thereby causing more work for the others. you're 19, get your shit together and help out instead of causing more problems.

I remember this storm scene as well and I noted how really freaked out and clingy she was. I suspect she is used to getting attention and being catered to and just automatically does what's needed to get attention focused on her. She probably doesn't even realize she's doing it. She's one of the oldest kids so she might be used to getting more attention when young and there weren't so many siblings around.

I have always felt that Erin is a very emotionally fragile person. Easily upset, not resilient, etc. I got this impression after watching a show that featured the Bates (I can't remember the name). It showed the family while it was on the road during a storm. They were in a hotel and unable to travel any further. They had already checked out, but the hotel kindly let them hang around in the lobby area till it was safe to travel.

Anyhow, the Bates are all at this hotel, and though it is a rather anxious time, the family is in no immediate danger. Despite this, Erin starts crying and clinging to her dad. She is scared and anxious and needs lots of attention. She's about 19 years old at the time. Meanwhile, the other older girls are tending to the little ones, helping their parents, basically acting like young adults. And Erin is freaking out.After I saw that, I felt that perhaps Erin was not as emotionally strong as she should be.

That video was taken when there were Tornados in the area. I'd be pretty scared myself

I have always felt that Erin is a very emotionally fragile person. Easily upset, not resilient, etc. I got this impression after watching a show that featured the Bates (I can't remember the name). It showed the family while it was on the road during a storm. They were in a hotel and unable to travel any further. They had already checked out, but the hotel kindly let them hang around in the lobby area till it was safe to travel.

Anyhow, the Bates are all at this hotel, and though it is a rather anxious time, the family is in no immediate danger. Despite this, Erin starts crying and clinging to her dad. She is scared and anxious and needs lots of attention. She's about 19 years old at the time. Meanwhile, the other older girls are tending to the little ones, helping their parents, basically acting like young adults. And Erin is freaking out.After I saw that, I felt that perhaps Erin was not as emotionally strong as she should be.

Does anyone remember/know which episode this was?

That video was taken when there were Tornados in the area. I'd be pretty scared myself

I went to Ireland with my dad when I was 12. I had never seen him drink in my life, but even he had a beer (and even brought me in the pub with him, which upset my mom when she heard). That's still the only time I've seen him drink. You just can't go to Dublin and not have a Guinness.

Yeah, I agree. Pub culture is a massive part of Irish culture (well, and English/Scottish/Welsh, too). I can't imagine visiting Ireland and not going to a pub.

I if they went to any of the old Cathedrals or monostaries while they were there - also a huge part of Irish heritage.

I hang out in pubs when I'm in Ireland, and I don't drink alcohol. They have soda and no one looks down on you for drinking that instead.

I hang out in pubs when I'm in Ireland, and I don't drink alcohol. They have soda and no one looks down on you for drinking that instead.

That is true, but I have a hard time believing they even went into a pub to have a pop. Erin always struck me as having a stick up her ass. I do hope I'm wrong and I hope they at least got to experience a nice pub meal and some music.

Dingle would have been nice for a honeymoon (I haven't been to that area of the country myself). Also a good time of year to go as there wouldn't have been as many tourists.

Ya'll are silly with your "THE ONLY WAY TO ENJOY IRELAND IS TO DRINK BEER" schtick lol. There's enough history and museums and landmarks that they don't ever have to drink beer just to say they experienced Ireland.

That's like saying THE ONLY WAY TO ENJOY GERMANY IS TO DRINK BEER, because clearly there is nothing else here worth seeing or doing. Of course pubs are nice and they are fun and the food is good, but it's kind of marginalizing the place to say you haven't experienced a country until you've tasted their booze.

Ya'll are silly with your "THE ONLY WAY TO ENJOY IRELAND IS TO DRINK BEER" schtick lol. There's enough history and museums and landmarks that they don't ever have to drink beer just to say they experienced Ireland.

That's like saying THE ONLY WAY TO ENJOY GERMANY IS TO DRINK BEER, because clearly there is nothing else here worth seeing or doing. Of course pubs are nice and they are fun and the food is good, but it's kind of marginalizing the place to say you haven't experienced a country until you've tasted their booze.

I don't think anyone said that.

If you want to experience the culture of the place I think it's pretty accurate saying that pub life is an integral part of life in the British Isles and in many other parts of Europe. I'm a traveler who has spent a LOT of time in the UK and Ireland, and I feel I'm pretty spot on saying that you have missed out on a big part of the experience if you don't step one foot in the pub. Yes the museums and the landscape are wonderful to visit, but I think it's kind of sad if you go halfway across the world but you limit your interaction with the local folks to the waitresses at the restaurants and the cashiers at the gift shop. Then again, I'm the type of traveler who likes to try to experience as much of the local life as possible rather than taking a bus tour. YMMV.

We live here in Germany and it's pretty easy to have a good time without drinking the beer. We have had several relatives who don't drink come for a visit, and it's not like they didn't get to experience germany because they didn't go to Oktoberfest (which is really just horrible and crowded anyways).

We've visited Ireland and the UK and did stop in a pub, but frankly that's not the part I remember about the trip so it's silly to me to insist that they didn't enjoy themselves because they didn't stop in for a pint. I enjoyed the countryside and the seaside much more than any buildings. It all depends on the person. Although we did do the guinness factory because I'm kind of in love with beer, but even if we didn't, I'd still have had a great time.

Lets be honest here, they're young honeymooners. They probably barely left their room, anyways lol.

Never been to Ireland, but I'm sure they had a great time without drinking. Mr. Puppy is British and I don't think we visited a pub at all on our last trip to England. Maybe we did, but I can't remember. We enjoy a drink sometimes, but there's so much else to see and do on the British Isles. Of course, if going to pubs is your thing, then its a great place for that too!

But of all the things to snark Chad & Erin about, I don't think 'not drinking in Ireland' is one of them.

Lots of people who don't drink due to health reasons or personal beliefs can and do enjoy visiting those countries.

I hardly drink and I went to Ireland in November and I had a great time. I even toured various breweries and distilleries (and made many friends when I gave away my free drink tickets that came with the entrance fee). I found the country to be beautiful and the people to be really friendly. So I'm sure that if these two had a good attitude they would have had a good time.

When we went to Great Britain a few years ago, we toured a distillery in Scotland and had dinners with extended family in several pubs in various parts of England. I think even my husband's Baptist cousin who lives in Cheltenham enjoyed a pint. I sure did!

My guess is the most culture they experienced was having dinner at the home of a missionary or pastor. Also, even one beer would be reason for them to lose all favor with their families and churches so it's pretty much guaranteed they didn't do that.

I don't understand spending so much money to go to Ireland for the first week of unaccompanied time together. Seems like a waste when all I'd want to do is stay in the room. Of course they probably assume they'd have a baby by their first anniversary and if Ireland is on the bucket list it needs to be done now, before there are eleventy billion children that need airfare too.

Of course they probably assume they'd have a baby by their first anniversary and if Ireland is on the bucket list it needs to be done now, before there are eleventy billion children that need airfare too.

What a depressingly realistic thought. How sad, to think that this might have been their one and only chance to do something adventurous (together OR apart!) before getting to work on the Next Generation.

What a depressingly realistic thought. How sad, to think that this might have been their one and only chance to do something adventurous (together OR apart!) before getting to work on the Next Generation.

Honeymoons seem the first, last, and only big fun adventure for a lot of fundie couples before coming home and getting down to the business of raising a quiver. And even during then they get right to work on that next generation while having that one fun adventure you are allowed. Multi-tasking, you know.

Kelly:

The chicken salad and pimento cheese was donated by our favorite fast food restaurant:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine having fast food at a wedding reception, though considering what I've seen online of fundy wedding receptions, it's all good...

do these people pay anything themselves? all this begging for freebies is :naughty:

Gil appears to have it down to an art form and I suppose being Bible belt, there's going to be a lot of fundie/fundie-lite/ conservative people falling for it and helping out the wholesome, Christian family. And one wants to be the bad guy.

Archived