IGNORED

Gil and Kelly's next money maker

SamuraiKatz

Since it looks like Gil and Kelly will have 3 of their children married in short order. I'm thinking their next big money making seminar, speech circuit product may be titled: " Helping Our Sheltered Godly Children Find True love AND A Perfectly Christian Spouse".

Gotta keep the money rolling in. :?

Take that Jim Bob and Michelle!

That would be good, they should definitely write a book or something about courtship. Their kids and their partners look so natural and happy together, and are encouraged to become friends before courting. Its far from the awkward fundie courtship photos we usually see. Hopefully fundies would read it and stop setting their kids up with people they don't know and expecting them to marry, or having awkward, unnatural no touch courtship and having to go from no touch at all to sex in just a day.

Courtship is still weird and unnatural, but the Bates family are doing it right.

That would be good, they should definitely write a book or something about courtship. Their kids and their partners look so natural and happy together, and are encouraged to become friends before courting. Its far from the awkward fundie courtship photos we usually see. Hopefully fundies would read it and stop setting their kids up with people they don't know and expecting them to marry, or having awkward, unnatural no touch courtship and having to go from no touch at all to sex in just a day.

Courtship is still weird and unnatural, but the Bates family are doing it right.

I think they had a pretty steep learning curve after the Zach/Sarah courtship fall apart. That they changed their definition of courtship means Gil and Kelly have some flexibility in their approach to parenting. A good thing I think.

ETA: I hope Zach and Whit keep their wedding on the down low. The three ring circus discovery channel dog and pony shows really suck.

How long will the kids have been married when said book will hit the market?

Because getting 2 people married is relatively easy. Getting 2 people well matched and building a life together for a long-term thing? that's hard.

(Although I'll also say that I don't think 'they've been married 47 years'= happy marriage either--it just means nobody died)

Speaking of books, do you think the J'Slaves feel pressured to get another courtship started before their book is published?

Because getting 2 people married is relatively easy. Getting 2 people well matched and building a life together for a long-term thing? that's hard.

(Although I'll also say that I don't think 'they've been married 47 years'= happy marriage either--it just means nobody died)

I agree with this, but in fundie eyes, it doesn't matter they've only just gotten married, because OF COURSE they will be married and happy forever and ever because they put JESUS at the center of their marriage. What really matters is that they had a Christ-centered courtship, engagement and wedding.

That's enough for a book, in their minds.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if they did do it.

Well they're certainly more qualified to write about it than the Maxwells or Anna Sophia and Elizabeth Botkin.

They're also more qualified to write a book about courting than the Duggar girls...

I have no idea...maybe next summer? I think it willl definitely become a possible speaking topic for the ATI crowd..The Duggars niche market is having a bunch of kids and activity in politics. The Bates niche market is having a bunch of kids and successfully launching them out of the nest.

And finally there has to be something to fill in the void created by Doug Phillips is a Tool's sinking ship.

The Bates actually know what courtship and modesty are. They're not just throwing around the words to look smart, like J'Chelle and Boob. They have three kids married. J'Chelle and Boob have one, and one courting. That should tell you something. Gil and Kelly let the kids live their own lives, and let them make their own choices. They're ages ahead of Boob and J'Chelle.

The Bates actually know what courtship and modesty are. They're not just throwing around the words to look smart, like J'Chelle and Boob. They have three kids married. J'Chelle and Boob have one, and one courting. That should tell you something. Gil and Kelly let the kids live their own lives, and let them make their own choices. They're ages ahead of Boob and J'Chelle.

Not to mentain ages ahead of the Maxwell's.

Actually, the Bates have one married, one going to be married in a month and one courting. I also wouldn't be surprised if they have another courtship sometime early next year - probably Lawson or Nathan.

But, yes, still ahead of Boob and J'chelle.

They'd better wait some time before publishing a book or giving seminars about successful courtships. In a few years some of their kids could be stucked in unhappy marriages (or *gasp* be divorced).

Even though I prefer the Bates definition of courtship over the Duggar's version I think it is way too early to call them experts in this field. But let's face it, there are more than enough people who would buy a book like that anyway.

Actually, the Bates have one married, one going to be married in a month and one courting. I also wouldn't be surprised if they have another courtship sometime early next year - probably Lawson or Nathan.

But, yes, still ahead of Boob and J'chelle.

I think the Bates kids are having successful relationships because Gil & Kelly adjusted their rules following Zach's breakup with Sarah. They found room for flexibility for the sake of their children. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes with the Duggars...but something seems off when only one child was married five years ago, there are six others who are 18 and older, there's only scant news about the one in a courtship, and yet the family believes strongly in marriage and large families and the show thrives on weddings and babies.

I think the Bates kids are having successful relationships because Gil & Kelly adjusted their rules following Zach's breakup with Sarah. They found room for flexibility for the sake of their children. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes with the Duggars...but something seems off when only one child was married five years ago, there are six others who are 18 and older, there's only scant news about the one in a courtship, and yet the family believes strongly in marriage and large families and the show thrives on weddings and babies.

Yeah, I agree. I just hope the Duggars don't start rushing things to keep up - that would be a travesty for all involved.

J'Chelle and Boob have one, and one courting. That should tell you something. Gil and Kelly let the kids live their own lives, and let them make their own choices

I would not go that far....The Bates still are devoted Gothardites and everything that goes with that. They may be laxer on courtship matters but that's about it.....remember Erin and the Piano scholarship? The Confederate general photo? If Michael Bates came to her father and said she wanted to cut her hair and marry a Mexican, you really think they would let her make her own choice?

• 7 months later...

Gil is so far up Gothards ass, he maybe a little more progressive than J-ass and Mullet, but he still follows Gothard doctrine.

From ILBP SITE:

Gil Bates Board of Directors:(paraphrased)

"Not only does Gil bring to the Board a wealth of practical wisdom on marriage and training up sons and daughters, but he also has a marvelous testimony about combining prayer, initiative, diligence, creativity, and patience in providing for his family. This has included a large home, a tree-trimming business with special equipment, and family transportation—all without a steady income and no debt! Gil and Kelly have taught their children how to be each other’s best friends, love family responsibilities, and maintain a grateful spirit. Over the years, they have taken their financial needs to the Lord and watched God provide opportunities for work. This has taught their children to have great faith in The Lord"

He's not gonna stray to far from Gothards rules concerning his children. He'll probably go on the seminar circuit or special appearances...I don't know how big the Gothard or QF base is though. (I'm still new to all of this) :roll:

Archived