IGNORED

Alyssa Bates and John Webster are courting

wutwuzdat

If that's the case, how'd Ben pass through? The kid is 18, still in school and as far as I have seen doesn't work.

Ben likely passed through because he is young and easy to mold into the image Jim Bob wants, which is willing to sell himself and his family to the highest bidder. It isn't like he could marry Jessa and talk care of her without TLC money. I do not believe the windshield business is bringing in enough work to maintain a ten-speed bike. Does he have supplies, a business location or even a business license? Highly unlikely.

I think this is what would make it harder to find a spouse for Jana, whom everyone seems to want to marry off, because someone her age is going to be harder to control. The Duggar girls are pretty but they also come with a lot of baggage through no fault of their own. I would think that many in fundie land see the entire family as too worldly and probably a little like media whores. Can they really trust their son with a family that thinks its ok to give birth on the toilet in front of the cameras? Where is the line between the Duggar ministry and selling out your family for the almighty dollar?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today John asked Alyssa (to/in/for a?) courtship while at Rock City TN. I'm sure there will be a website update soon

Do you have any insights about Michael and why she is not in any sort of relationship? She is the most naturally pretty of the Bates girls and seems sweet. So what up?

The Duggar girls are pretty but they also come with a lot of baggage through no fault of their own. I would think that many in fundie land see the entire family as too worldly and probably a little like media whores. Can they really trust their son with a family that thinks its ok to give birth on the toilet in front of the cameras? Where is the line between the Duggar ministry and selling out your family for the almighty dollar?

This is what I think is the issue in a nutshell. The family, through the TLC show, has very effectively limited their options for their kids within their approved circle of fundies. I still think that not only do a lot of fundie guys take a pass on the girls and fundie dads take a pass on the sons for their daughter, but I suspect that a number of guys willing enough to approach JB have been turned down if they are not deemed pliable enough. I honestly think that a lot of the kids, sadly enough, are avoided as far as courtships / potential marriages.

ETA: another sad thing is that the Duggar kids don't have the options to look for potential spouses outside of fundieland on their own. That would be one hope / solution for them given their options have been limited by their own parents, within their own fundie community.

Anyway, the Bateses are sure marrying off their adult children at a high rate of speed. Maybe wutwuzdat can tell us whether any of the other older Bates children have special friends.

I believe Lawson is on the prowl looking for someone but there are no other special friendships that I'm aware of.

Do you have any insights about Michael and why she is not in any sort of relationship? She is the most naturally pretty of the Bates girls and seems sweet. So what up?

She's been asked for several times but she/and or Gil has always turned them down. I don't know why

Today John asked Alyssa (to/in/for a?) courtship while at Rock City TN. I'm sure there will be a website update soon

Thanks for posting! Gosh she is so young. Oh well at least they will have money!

His way of determining a suitor is high and it could prevent rather than encourage.

I wonder about that. Despite the show the Duggars are not fundie royalty. Dim Bulb would no doubt like to be. But they aren't. They're fundies that got lucky. The impression I have of the Bateses is that they're alittle more classy than the Duggars. Yes the Duggars have a huge following but that's because of the show. I'd be very surprised if any of the fundie royalty families married into the Duggar family.

On her Pinterest description, Alyssa had "I 150% love my boyfriend" and as soon as it became more public, she changed it to "I 150% love coffee" - apparently they are ok with using that term

Ben apparently runs some kind of windshield repair business. How profitable that business is, who knows.

In Leavenworth, Kansas, that would be a very profitable business :lol: Ben should consider relocating his business.

I wonder about that. Despite the show the Duggars are not fundie royalty. Dim Bulb would no doubt like to be. But they aren't. They're fundies that got lucky. The impression I have of the Bateses is that they're alittle more classy than the Duggars. Yes the Duggars have a huge following but that's because of the show. I'd be very surprised if any of the fundie royalty families married into the Duggar family.

The Bates passed a collection plate at Erin's wedding to cover honeymoon expense. They have no class.

I believe Lawson is on the prowl looking for someone but there are no other special friendships that I'm aware of.

She's been asked for several times but she/and or Gil has always turned them down. I don't know why

How old is Lawson? I think the first time Michael was 16 and Gil said she was too young.

Interesting.

She's so young, I hope they wait another year for them to marry.

Poor Michael, three of her siblings married before her....

Since the Bateses seem very open to letting their kids court and marry whenever, maybe she doesn't want to yet? Has she made any comments about it? Also if she's incredibly shy, maybe it's just really hard for her. That's kind of how I was (shy, not fundie).

With all these courtships and weddings, they must be perfecting their sex talk. They should just make a Powerpoint and have a quarterly session for the next engaged couples.

I do think we'll start seeing more of the Duggar kids heading into courtships since the Bateses are having so many, and are getting publicity over it. I'd bet the bigwigs at TLC are kicking themselves over canceling the Bateses' show, since it's they that are doing the interesting things now.

Only the first two or three would be interesting though. With 19 or so kids, by wedding 10 it must just be so repetitive and boring. But then I'd also think "Wow, I'm a new mom!" must get old after that long too and apparently it doesn't.

I think John Webster helps run the family business : websterac.com in Orlando. Alyssa will have to move to Central Florida.

Someone out there with a little more time than I have may enjoy looking at dad's financial disclosure statement at http://clerk.house.gov/public_disc/financial.aspx (Look for Rep. Daniel Webster of Florida) to see how much he is worth!

I think John Webster helps run the family business : websterac.com in Orlando. Alyssa will have to move to Central Florida.

Someone out there with a little more time than I have may enjoy looking at dad's financial disclosure statement at http://clerk.house.gov/public_disc/financial.aspx (Look for Rep. Daniel Webster of Florida) to see how much he is worth!

I would like to see what type of house the Webster's live in.

I would like to see what type of house the Webster's live in.

The website is registered for "3400 Old Winter Garden Rd, Orlando" and lol, by what I can see on streetview, I highly doubt that they live there :lol:

But I'm curious too!

On her Pinterest description, Alyssa had "I 150% love my boyfriend" and as soon as it became more public, she changed it to "I 150% love coffee" - apparently they are ok with using that term

Have we ever heard what they - any fundie family - refer to people in a courtship as? Obviously not fiance/fiance, but is there a word for it? "We're courting, this is my ____"

What goes there? Some of them have such a stick up the butt over boy/girlfriend

wutwuzdat, thank you for all the info, it's really enlightening to get an inside look at the Bateses. Keep up the good work, it is much appreciated :)

In the Bates family, the baby train seems to have slowed, if not stopped completely. If you subtract adult children who leave and cleave and don't add new little blessings, their financial situation can only be improving. Maybe Lawson is allowed to start courting because they don't need his income to borrow from (read: shamelessly leech off of) anymore. The more kids they can marry off, the lower their carrying expenses become.

In the Bates family, the baby train seems to have slowed, if not stopped completely. If you subtract adult children who leave and cleave and don't add new little blessings, their financial situation can only be improving. Maybe Lawson is allowed to start courting because they don't need his income to borrow from (read: shamelessly leech off of) anymore. The more kids they can marry off, the lower their carrying expenses become.

Well, they are aware of birth control options.

Any fundie royal family that has watched their behavior on their show are probably scared away! What would be the attraction to marrying into such a family? Baby crazed Mom-a dufus sex-maniac Father, ignorant oldest son, stuck up older daughters (except Jana-maybe)-out of control young children. That leaves Mary, JD, Joseph Joy and Josiah. No one has a specific talent or intellect (except Jill-maybe). And, no one seems overly impressed with their reality show fame-except a bunch of tween leg-humpers! Perhaps, that is why Jessa is marrying an 18 year old!

Have we ever heard what they - any fundie family - refer to people in a courtship as? Obviously not fiance/fiance, but is there a word for it? "We're courting, this is my ____"

I picture it being like Ellen on Slings & Arrows. "I was going to say you were my . . . guy. Lover. Lover guy."

This is my beau? This is 'my girl'? I can see them wanting to use 'beau' as it harks back to the mythical past of courtship in ye olde days somewhat. And I can imagine them having no qualms whatsoever about referring to an adult woman as a 'girl', and with the possessive to boot.

In Tontitown, Jim Bob Duggar gnashes his Chiclet teeth, grabs his address book, and begins plotting.

Everytime i read the name of Duggars town i cant stop laughing :lol: (tontito is dumb in spanish, so they live in dumbstown :mrgreen: )

Im late to seeing the picture, but i guess the announce is going to be soon on Bates Blog, glad for Alyssa and John, they make a good couple, i hope the next want to court is Michael(if is what she wants)

This is my beau? This is 'my girl'? I can see them wanting to use 'beau' as it harks back to the mythical past of courtship in ye olde days somewhat. And I can imagine them having no qualms whatsoever about referring to an adult woman as a 'girl', and with the possessive to boot.

My intended?

Archived