IGNORED

Bates Wedding Part 2: Zach N Whitney

HereticHick

I would like to think that both couples will wait but unfortunately, the realist in me thinks not. Now, there could be a chance that Zach and Whit will, however, I don't see this happening with Chad and Erin. The reason why I think it's possible with Zach and Whit is that Whit is from a less conservative background and while she's embracing the whole fundie thing right now, it may not be long term. And I am not sure Zach is totally sold on being hard core fundie, given his choices of young women who are fundie-lite and have more going for them then just being SAHDs (Whit works, going to school, and Sarah Reith had her own career) plus he seems like a sweet, considerate, albeit simple kind of guy. Chad and Erin, however, both seem heavily steeped in that ATI koolaid however, and will do what is expected. But we will see.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am curious to see if Michael is more involved in Zach's wedding. I am convinced there is more than mere shyness going on with her dropping out of Erin's wedding.

I agree. I've never gotten the impression that Erin and Michael are particularly close.

In fact, I have gotten the impression that Erin is the holier than though member of the family, and likes to rag on others about them being not spiritual enough. There have been a few posts mentioning Erin praying for her siblings to be saved and encouraging them to read the Bible, and being convicted that her siblings need spiritual guidance. It's come up often enough to be a theme.

I truly don't think TLC is going to film this. What's in it for them? They've already covered one Bates wedding. The only angle would be to show Zach bouncing back from his "failed" (god I hate that fundy concept) courtship that they previously, and so awkwardly, filmed.

It sounds likely that JD will be a groomsman.

Is it possible that Josh and Anna won't attend? Election Day is over and I doubt that he will have any political events to add to the trip to help justify it/write off the expense.

I predict that they will have a less glamorous honeymoon destination than Ireland-- Florida perhaps, or a short Caribbean cruise.

PS Do we think that that a collection plate was actually passed, in the sanctuary, to collect for Erin & Chad's honeymoo? I agree with grandma--that is horrifyingly tacky if so!

PS Do we think that that a collection plate was actually passed, in the sanctuary, to collect for Erin & Chad's honeymoo? I agree with grandma--that is horrifyingly tacky if so!

I've seen more obnoxious things at weddings, it wouldn't surprise me. People can be greedy as hell. The dollar dannce and things (while I refuse to do that at my own wedding, I think it's greedy) are a little more commonplace, but jeez, if they seriously just passed a plate around....

I don't think there should be any more financial contribution beyond showing up and bringing a gift if you choose. My fiance and I have a very tiny registry - 80 items total - and won't be doing any of the 'money' dances. We've opted to do a 'wish' dance - people are goinjg to write notes and place them in a time capsule along with a bottle of champagne. We'll open it on our first anniversary. That way we still get to visit with lots of people but nobody has to pay anything.

I think the wedding will be more normal in regards to size. I think the reception will be similar, cake, punch, cheese, crackers, fruit. I do think the Duggars will come, and probably Josh and Anna. TLC may film it, but it's up to the bride and groom. I think Whit will have a pretty, but "normal-modest" wedding dress. I think their honeymoon will be much more low key. Perhaps a trip to Florida or the beach. (Sort of like Josh and Anna's.) I also think Whit's Dad will perform the ceremony since he is a minister. I think it will be a conservative ceremony, but no passing of ownership of the bride. I also think Whit's been kissed before and has had normal dates.

I don't think Bill or the whole Duggar family or J& A will attend. I get the feeling this wedding will be more planned out with specific invitations.

I, for one, believe Gothard will be in attendance. There are plenty of him to go around afterall :lol:

dummy-heads-used-in-escape-plan

I agree. After all, Dracula does prefer the blood of virgins, and there will be plenty of them in attendence. :lol:

Zach is working a metal fabrication shop in Lake City. His county commission seat pays about $6k a year, but also provides free health insurance. He is a First responder/Fire Fighter with Medford Volunteer Fire Dept and a Reserve Deputy with Anderson County Sheriff's Office, but has not been active in several months. But considering all of that is volunteer work that is not surprising. I heard he was selling a lot of his fire/sheriff equipment

This will be a much smaller wedding and Michael will be a bridesmaid. They took the invitations to the printer today, but I don't have a number on how many they ordered.

Gothard won't be there, because this isn't essentially fundie royalty like Chad and Erin's was. I can understand Micheal being okay with being a bridesmaid here but not at Erin's due to it just being so much smaller.

I doubt Michael will be a brindesmaid here. She seems to like to avoid any limelight. Whit has several of her own sisters, so would imagine they would be her first choices for bridesmaids. She may also have friends that are not related to her or to Zach!!!

I think the Duggar clan will attend the wedding. Smugs and Anna might not.

Hope the wedding dress is nice. Whit seems really stylish. I also hope she hasn't thrown out all her pants since she may well decide that certain activities are easier, more comfortable, more modest and warmer wearing pants than skirts.

Gothard will not attend. Has has a standing hair appointment that day...

Probably no dancing, but country music will be playing at the reception (finger foods, cake and punch) Josiah will spike the punch!

Did Erin and Chad include in their wedding vows that they would accept all the children the lord gave them, like josh and Anna and David and Priscilla?

No, they didn’t. Someone asked Kelly what her kids plans for birth control were and she said she knew Zach and Erin’s opinions (because they lived with her) but not Chad or Whit’s and that the couples are old enough to decide for themselves.

Erin also didn’t promise to obey Chad in her vows. http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/

Interesting.

I agree. I've never gotten the impression that Erin and Michael are particularly close.

In fact, I have gotten the impression that Erin is the holier than though member of the family, and likes to rag on others about them being not spiritual enough. There have been a few posts mentioning Erin praying for her siblings to be saved and encouraging them to read the Bible, and being convicted that her siblings need spiritual guidance. It's come up often enough to be a theme.

it almost sounds like maybe one/some of them are questioning the fundy lifestyle. I hope it's Michael, maybe that's why she doesn't want to participate in the weddings, maybe she's getting ready to head out on a life of her own! Well, we can hope, can't we? :pray:

Yes it was. Nathan Bates got up and orchestrated the whole thing right after the bride and groom walked out of the sanctuary

Yes it was. Nathan Bates got up and orchestrated the whole thing right after the bride and groom walked out of the sanctuary

:wtf:

it almost sounds like maybe one/some of them are questioning the fundy lifestyle. I hope it's Michael, maybe that's why she doesn't want to participate in the weddings, maybe she's getting ready to head out on a life of her own! Well, we can hope, can't we? :pray:

I'd guess that probably just refers to praying for the little kids to be saved. It would be interesting if she thought the older ones weren't saved, though.

I've seen more obnoxious things at weddings, it wouldn't surprise me. People can be greedy as hell. The dollar dannce and things (while I refuse to do that at my own wedding, I think it's greedy) are a little more commonplace, but jeez, if they seriously just passed a plate around....

I don't think there should be any more financial contribution beyond showing up and bringing a gift if you choose. My fiance and I have a very tiny registry - 80 items total - and won't be doing any of the 'money' dances. We've opted to do a 'wish' dance - people are goinjg to write notes and place them in a time capsule along with a bottle of champagne. We'll open it on our first anniversary. That way we still get to visit with lots of people but nobody has to pay anything.

What on earth is a "dollardance"?

Holy cow! 80 items is tiny? What are the usual length of wishlists for an American wedding? I don't think I've ever seen more then 10-ish items long wishlists here.

And some more general "culture-difference" questions:

How many guests would be "normal" for a US wedding?

Do regular non-fundie people also have bridesmaids, groomsmen, flowergirls etc.? And if so what is the point?

Are such customs as to who gives a toast/when the couple should leave/throwing of various objects (flowers/garters/socks) strictly observed?

And yes, I do realise that there will be regional/religious/cultural/class-differences, I'm just curious as to how the fundie-weddings are different/similar to more mainstream weddings.

What on earth is a "dollardance"?

It's a thing the bride and groom do at the reception where they change guests for a dance with either the bride or groom, usually the bride. I -think- it's based on some cultural practices where people give the couple money in an envelope or pin money onto the bride's dress, The difference is that in the European countries where the tradition originated that was the only source of money the couple received and there were no gifts. I think it's extremely tacky when people do it on top of having a registry and getting gifts, but from what I've heard it's become something of a fad.

Zach is working a metal fabrication shop in Lake City. His county commission seat pays about $6k a year, but also provides free health insurance. He is a First responder/Fire Fighter with Medford Volunteer Fire Dept and a Reserve Deputy with Anderson County Sheriff's Office, but has not been active in several months. But considering all of that is volunteer work that is not surprising. I heard he was selling a lot of his fire/sheriff equipment

This will be a much smaller wedding and Michael will be a bridesmaid. They took the invitations to the printer today, but I don't have a number on how many they ordered.

Are you a friend of the family or is this all on the blog?

I have never been to a wedding where there is a dollar dance. I personally think it is tacky to ask for gifts and then ask for money.

I have never been to a wedding where there is a dollar dance. I personally think it is tacky to ask for gifts and then ask for money.

It is beyond tacky. I really hope no one outside the family put honeymoon money in the collection plate. If Chad can't afford it, they should not go. Tasteless.

Are you a friend of the family or is this all on the blog?

A friend of a friend of the family and I live near by. How much he makes as a commissioner is public information, just like with any other elected official

Do you actually like the Bates or do you find them snark worthy and crazy too?

That's a long answer. When I first met them it was cool and kinda a novelty. After getting to know them better and see how they treat their "friends" is appalling. Once they milk the cow dry and you can no longer benefit the family they are done with you. You'll not hear from them unless they have a problem they think you can help with or they have a wedding and want gifts. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Gil tell people he has 19 kids in a effort to get a discount or something given to them. Everyone in the family has come to expect stuff for free.

So yes, I liked the Bates, but less and less so as I have come to see what they are like when the camera's aren't around. The Duggars on the other hand I absolutely can't stand. They are arrogant to a level I've never seen. I'm sad to say but I think it's beginning to rub off on the Bates

That's a long answer. When I first met them it was cool and kinda a novelty. After getting to know them better and see how they treat their "friends" is appalling. Once they milk the cow dry and you can no longer benefit the family they are done with you. You'll not hear from them unless they have a problem they think you can help with or they have a wedding and want gifts. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Gil tell people he has 19 kids in a effort to get a discount or something given to them. Everyone in the family has come to expect stuff for free.

So yes, I liked the Bates, but less and less so as I have come to see what they are like when the camera's aren't around. The Duggars on the other hand I absolutely can't stand. They are arrogant to a level I've never seen. I'm sad to say but I think it's beginning to rub off on the Bates

So you think they felt entitled to pass a collection plate among people who are already giving them gifts then?

Wow....just wow. They don't believe in public assistance, but expect stuff for free? Arrogant, holier-than-though hypocrites! I have never said this in my life, but if Gil asks for or expects something for free, he needs to be told to get off his high horse and get a real job....like the one he had with Nabisco. Oh, and then call him an arrogant holier-than- thou-leech!

:evil:

Archived