IGNORED

Bates Wedding Part 2: Zach N Whitney

HereticHick

Oh my god! I was joking about it being that serious. What are people thinking putting that in their wedding ceremony!? Good grief.

I knew you were joking, but yes, they seriously spilled a LOT of stuff about themselves.

It was the wedding of a family member and we never had been through a wedding like that before or since, thankfully. The family member joined a KJV believing only church and it appears that this is what the church and pastor believed should go into a wedding: testimonies, admonishing the attendees, especially the women, and all round acting like jackasses to the family members attending because they weren't part of the church. It was the most joyless wedding I had ever been to.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you joking? Please tell me that you are joking

From the website:

How to Support a Family of 19 Without a Salary

Gil & Kelly Bates

Listen and be encouraged as Gil Bates shares story after story of how God provided for him and his family because of their resolve to build a life message on His unchanging principles. God's ways are higher than ours—and they can be trusted! The Bates family testimony shows just how much the Heavenly Father desires to show himself strong and mighty in all our areas of need, especially so that our children will see His hand at work.

From the website:

Gil & Kelly Bates

Listen and be encouraged as Gil Bates shares story after story of how God provided for him and his family because of their resolve to build a life message on His unchanging principles. God's ways are higher than ours—and they can be trusted! The Bates family testimony shows just how much the Heavenly Father desires to show himself strong and mighty in all our areas of need, especially so that our children will see His hand at work.

Coupled with others believing the same thing and have the willingness to financial contribute to another family's needs. I know God can provide but it is the kindness of strangers that they also rely on.

From the website:

Gil & Kelly Bates

Can Gil show me how to support a single woman without a salary? I would really like to stop working and spend my days reading and napping.

I was a pretty laid back bride, but we still registered for a ton of stuff. It's not that you necessarily MUST HAVE every item but you want a lot of $20 gifts for people who can't spend a lot, but you also want a few $100+ for family (or my parents long time friends) who would like to spend a little more. The annoying part to me was that you can't prioritize... like don't buy me a garlic press if I only have 3 out of 8 cups so far!

Some places let you prioritize now - a friend's registry had rankings ("Need to have!" "Love to Have!" "Like to Have!"). It was either BBB or Amazon... all the weddings I've been to lately are blending together.

As for registry size - a lot of it is brought on by stores. Nowadays, a lot of stores will give you a discount if you "finish" your registry - so if you register for 100 items and 90 are bought, they'll give you 10% off of the remaining 10 items. Registries are guaranteed money makers for stores, since they usually make it difficult for guests to mark off items unless they buy them at that store, so you can't pick up the item for less somewhere else (I had this issue for a recent wedding! Item was $10 cheaper AND I would have had free shipping on Amazon. Urgh).

That said, I've never seen jumbo registries - most people I know have registered for a few appliances, some dish sets, kitchen essentials, towels, etc.

As for regional - I've lived in every major region of the continental US and my friends in each region use them. I think the internet has made them more common. That said, my family in NY typically does cash for weddings. I don't think they do baby shower registries at all (my mom was confounded when she heard about one when we lived in TX). I suspect that region and class do affect how registries are viewed though - trying to figure out where some people are registered is a pain in the ass. At this point, I don't care what Miss Manners says... if you're registered, please don't make it a treasure hunt to discover where!

EDIT: Dish sets not dining sets. That would be quite the gift

you guys are killing me, please tell me that he really did this, I'm dying :lol:

Please tell me this is a joke.

PLEASE.

Nope, he did it. I remember seeing the registry and LMAO like it was yesterday. It was the first time I'd ever seen anyone actually do that. Then again, most people I know got married later in life and already had stuff; most didn't bother with registries, or kept them small. I got married at 31 and didn't bother. My wedding was small (50 guests) and we didn't solicit gifts. We got a few things and nothing was duplicated.

A good friend married in her 30s to a man she was already living with; they both had their own homes prior to that. So they didn't register for items, but for charity. They did a registry with Heifer International for things like goats and chickens and animal feed for impoverished families abroad. On my registry, one of the stores had a deal where 10% of the price of any item bought on their website would go to specific charity.

lol for overpriced mashed-potatoes in a can, very classy Smuggles!

and another WTF for Gil and his lacking work-ethics! I can not believe this shit, I mean it's stupid enough for Boob to have an army of children - but at least he is a sneaky businessman who is actually able to feed all the mouths he produced! How can you NOT have a decent income and have more and more kids?!

Zach & Whits Target registry: http://www.target.com/RegistryGiftGiver ... noOfPings=

and another WTF for Gil and his lacking work-ethics! I can not believe this shit, I mean it's stupid enough for Boob to have an army of children - but at least he is a sneaky businessman who is actually able to feed all the mouths he produced! How can you NOT have a decent income and have more and more kids?!

Zach & Whits Target registry: http://www.target.com/RegistryGiftGiver ... noOfPings=

I do like most of what's on their registry; but why so many food storage containers (maybe she is planning to do lots of cooking ahead?), tow different styles of drinking glasses and two king comforters (and a toilet plunger!)?

I do like most of what's on their registry; but why so many food storage containers (maybe she is planning to do lots of cooking ahead?), tow different styles of drinking glasses and two king comforters (and a toilet plunger!)?

I agree, it is a good registry for a couple who are going to be living on their own for the first time. One odd thing I noticed though: no towel sets. They registered for a couple different bath towels, hand towels and washcloths. Unless they are going to have one designated set each (and none for guests) they need more.

I registered for nothing when I got married. Why? Because both my husband and I were professionals who earned enough to take care of things ourselves and we had both been on our own long enough to acquire not one but two full households of stuff. In fact our big problem was downsizing from two households to one. BUT now I find that I could have registered for Pringles and for Oreos! Well, well, well. That changes things. Here I was like a fool buying junk food on my own when I could have had it given to me as a gift.

Could I have a retroactive gift registry? If I can here is my fundie inspired registry:

FOOD: chips (any kind but I do love pickle flavour)

chocolate (any kind really)

cookies (any kind - I will gladly eat any baked sweets)

chanterelles (for the big spenders in the group - I'm making roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta and chanterelles as a side dish tonight)

HOUSEHOLD GOODS: toilet paper

shoe laces

laundry detergent

(to be honest I just copied and pasted stuff that was on my grocery list this week)

Thanks in advance for all the gifts! :lol:

I wonder whether or not Chad and Erin will continue to drink the kook-aid too or end up mixing up their own flavors. For some reason, after hearing all the stories, I find them more and more annoying.

Unquestionably the best typo ever! :clap: :dance: :lol:

In some ways, Jim Bob is actually worse than Gil because there was a time when he had plenty of money socked away, but simply chose NOT to use it to feed his family. It was when he ran the for House of Representatives seat for Arkansas back in 1998. Jim Bob used over $200,000 of his own money to campaign while the family was living in a three-bedroom house. He has admitted to frequently hitting people up for "love" gifts at that time, before the TLC gravy train rolled in to help finish the tinker toy house, such as donations of clothing and food.

One poster on TWOP also claimed that Jim Bob had a habit of threatening to blackmail any businesses that didn't fall into line whenever he requested discounts. In one instance, he wanted a new air conditioning unit, so he decided to ask one local business for 50% off. The business refused, and he threatened to have his church boycott it.

After seeing some of the info wutwuzdat posted in Erin and Chad's wedding thread, pertaining to how Gil goes around trying to squeeze freebies out of people, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that was how Jim Bob and Gil initially became friends. They probably taught each other a lot about how to scam people.

Source for Jim Bob running for office: duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/jim-bob-duggar-for-house-of (link broken because it is a family blog)

I cannot for the life of me find a source for the money spent on the campaign, but know that the numbers have been floated around here and on TWOP for quite some time.

Edited for typos.

Unquestionably the best typo ever! :clap: :dance: :lol:

Bahahahahahaha good job autocorrect, you did good :cracking-up:

duggarsblog.blogspot.com is a fan site.

More similarities among reality tv "stars" in that Jim Bob was begging with money in the bank just like Kate Gosselin. Greed is great and more is better must really be their mantra.

duggarsblog.blogspot.com is a fan site.

More similarities among reality tv "stars" in that Jim Bob was begging with money in the bank just like Kate Gosselin. Greed is great and more is better must really be their mantra.

My mistake, Abigail, thanks for the correction. I rarely check in with the official family blog, but from what I saw here, it looked similar to it.

At this point I don't think zach is all that fundy anymore. He doesn't participate in all the ATI stuff that both the duggar boys and girls do. He found his own girlfriend who isn't that fundy either. I think they will be relatively normal.

Is Zach the one with the previously broken courtship? Wasn't that like, only last year? And he's getting married already? Or do I have the Bates confused.

In some ways, Jim Bob is actually worse than Gil because there was a time when he had plenty of money socked away, but simply chose NOT to use it to feed his family. It was when he ran the for House of Representatives seat for Arkansas back in 1998. Jim Bob used over $200,000 of his own money to campaign while the family was living in a three-bedroom house. He has admitted to frequently hitting people up for "love" gifts at that time, before the TLC gravy train rolled in to help finish the tinker toy house, such as donations of clothing and food.

One poster on TWOP also claimed that Jim Bob had a habit of threatening to blackmail any businesses that didn't fall into line whenever he requested discounts. In one instance, he wanted a new air conditioning unit, so he decided to ask one local business for 50% off. The business refused, and he threatened to have his church boycott it.

After seeing some of the info wutwuzdat posted in Erin and Chad's wedding thread, pertaining to how Gil goes around trying to squeeze freebies out of people, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that was how Jim Bob and Gil initially became friends. They probably taught each other a lot about how to scam people.

Source for Jim Bob running for office: duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/jim-bob-duggar-for-house-of (link broken because it is a family blog)

I cannot for the life of me find a source for the money spent on the campaign, but know that the numbers have been floated around here and on TWOP for quite some time.

Edited for typos.

That sounds terrible. You shouldn't be blackmailing anyone, especially if you claim to be (über-)Christian.

I always wondered how anyone with such a small job would pay for a political run. But figured if he can build/buy a house that large he might just had a lucky hand in stock exchange or whatever.

Unbelievable. Don't you have great journalism in the US? Can't anyone sneak into ATI and expose all that crap? I can't wait for a tell all book when a kid leaves the circus.

This reminds me so much of an episode (I don't know what show it was exactly) where an Amish family left the church and he started having a fruitstand near the road but refused to put a sign out becaus "God provides, I don't need to advertise, He will bring the customers anyway" of course that was bs and nobody came. I can't believe that anybody can live survive with that logic.

That sounds terrible. You shouldn't be blackmailing anyone, especially if you claim to be (über-)Christian.

I always wondered how anyone with such a small job would pay for a political run. But figured if he can build/buy a house that large he might just had a lucky hand in stock exchange or whatever.

Unbelievable. Don't you have great journalism in the US? Can't anyone sneak into ATI and expose all that crap? I can't wait for a tell all book when a kid leaves the circus.

This reminds me so much of an episode (I don't know what show it was exactly) where an Amish family left the church and he started having a fruitstand near the road but refused to put a sign out becaus "God provides, I don't need to advertise, He will bring the customers anyway" of course that was bs and nobody came. I can't believe that anybody can live survive with that logic.

I have also always been confused as to why fundie families like the Bateses and Duggars get the soft questions when they are interviewed stateside - no one ever seems to hit them hard where it hurts, right in the Gothard/fundamentalist belief system. The sad thing is, it's not like they are any good at concealing the worst parts of their beliefs, because they leave trails a mile wide that any amateur internet detective (like me) can follow.

At this point I don't think zach is all that fundy anymore. He doesn't participate in all the ATI stuff that both the duggar boys and girls do. He found his own girlfriend who isn't that fundy either. I think they will be relatively normal.

I agree. They'll still hate gay people and there daughters will only be a stay at home moms, but they will allow their kids a bit more freedom, even possibly allowing them to hang out with non-Christians. Which in the long run is better than isolation and a shitty education plus all the hate.

Archived