IGNORED

Understanding the umbrella of protection

SpeakNow

A Facebook friend of mine posted this. She even said "This is how I try to run my household." The fact that women are the smallest umbrella makes me stabby.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383419398.583414.jpg

Blech.

There's nothing natural about it.

It's a stupid metaphor based on nothing at all, and people who believe it should be taken out and bumbershot (see what I did there?).

:D

Gothard's Umbrella of Protection is starting to go mainstream and it is driving me nuts. I don't need to be protected by my husband. I need for him to treat me as an equal and assist in raising the children.

I didn't meet my husband until I was 33 years old. Up to that point, I did just fine looking after myself. I got a college education. I built a nice career. I bought a house. I traveled the world. And I did it all on my own. I chose to marry my husband because I wanted to share my life with him. I didn't need a protector, I needed a partner. Thankfully, that's what I got (I wouldn't have married him if he insisted on being anything else). In my opinion, an egalitarian marriage is the best kind. Both people are equal and thus neither has full responsibility for shaping children or the full burden of providing for the family. It relieves the pressure on both partners knowing the other is there to help out and to catch them if they fall. It's also reassuring to know that if one of you passes away, the other will be able to take care of themselves and the children.

A Facebook friend of mine, who is desperately trying to swallow the koolaid, posted this on her page. All the likes came from men. Go figure.

Archived