IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures in Child Neglect: Whee! Polyamory

happy atheist

So Princeton gives you extra point for attendance and neatness? Dang, I wish I had gotten in. If it is CCs, well, that is pathetic but not unexpected. There is a reason a lot of their credits don't transfer.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew she would end up letting those babies' teeth rot....I knew it :pull-hair:

Coincidentally I took my kids in for their 6 month dental cleaning today. They happily chatted with the hygienist, choose a prize out of the prize bucket and were on their way. The also go for well child visits once a year and see their optometrist yearly as well. This is part of being a parent. You make the appointments, you take them to the appointments.

I swear my dog gets better medical care than those poor children do.

So, as aprofessor at a community college (one of the best in the country, not coincidently located in one of the richest counties in the country) I really really resent being told that CCs give easy grades and have shitty students and horrible failures of professors.

Obviously, the average CC students is different and generally lower scoring than students at a state or private university, because CCs are open enrollment, meaning anyone can take any course provided they have the prerequisites. This does not mean that anyone can pass any class with no effort. My goal as a professor is for my students to learn, and if they do so, I have no problem giving an A or a B to 50% of the class. I'm confident enough in my teaching to know that despite the epidemic of grade inflation that I am a part of, I give grades based on learning and application, which is what I set out to do.

I don't know what unaccredited community colleges you all have found, but I'd be surprised if people weren't conflating for profit diploma mills like University of Phoenix with the average American CC.

Feel free to disagree on quality or pedagogy, and definitely don't hold back on mentioning where you earned your PhDs. Based on the comments, I'm expecting tons of top ten schools, and I shall be horribly disappointed if I don't have a chance to converse with my betters.

Most courses at the top 10 public school where I did undergrad and the university where I did my grad work had attendance as part of the course grade for undergraduate classes. It had nothing to do with extra points- it was a requirement and weighted the same as any assignment or test.

(Typed on an iPad, so excuse typos.)

Haligh, I notice you want us to give personal information, but don't give your own. Your post is also entirely lacking in facts, either personal experience or third party. As such, I give it an A. Well done, you! You're top 50% material all the way!

Wow so much debate about higher education.

If Lauren's girls want to go to university there are ways to get in. If they really want to succeed they'll be able to if they work really hard and stay focused. It will probably take them much longer than most kids and be much harder but it will be an option and if they do have the drive to do it and manage to make it through, they'll probably go onto to be very successful in whatever they do.

The harder you have to work to get your education or career, the more successful you are likely to be if you get to be successful at all. The flip side to that is of course that you are much more likely to fail. Depending on the girls, depriving them of a proper primary and secondary education might help to turn one of them into the next self made billionaire or cancer curing researcher, or more likely they'll remain in the welfare cycle that their mother is indoctrinating them into...

All of that has very little to do with little how hard university is in Australia vs US or if community colleges are similar to universities.

And just to add fuel to the fire. I've spent 7 years studying in Australian universities and had some great and terrible experiences (and amassed a massive dept to the governemt woohoo!). I've had a class where 20% of the grade was allocated to attendance and another where it was possible to get 150% when only 85% was needed for a HD. I've also had subjects where the lecturers were pulled up by the review board for not handing out any HDs or too many HDs and grades had to be altered. I also think Australian universities are suffering due to a focus on profits from international students and budget cuts. They might be able to make some quick cash right now but unless the standard of education increases again, the pool of international students is going dry up pretty quickly and the quality of local graduates will suffer too.

I knew she would end up letting those babies' teeth rot....I knew it :pull-hair:

Coincidentally I took my kids in for their 6 month dental cleaning today. They happily chatted with the hygienist, choose a prize out of the prize bucket and were on their way. The also go for well child visits once a year and see their optometrist yearly as well. This is part of being a parent. You make the appointments, you take them to the appointments.

I swear my dog gets better medical care than those poor children do.

And it's not like you can grow up to reject your teeth as inauthentic when you grow up and reject the old economy either. You NEED your teeth for your WHOLE life. My mother grew up nutritionally deficient and now, 60 years later, she had to have IMPLANTS to avoid dentures. Except she didn't have enough bone so she had to have a bone graft first, wait 12 months and then get an implant. Not caring for your teeth has SERIOUS implications for your WHOLE LIFE.

The tooth thing makes me so angry because its so preventable. And we know now that poor dental hygiene affects other parts of the body - dental plaque is BAD

So Delaney who is now called Lana, had a tick lodged behind her ear. A TICK! Now, I've had a tick lodge at the base of my hairline at the back of my neck, it happened during a hiking expedition in the Julian Alps. And I noticed it within hours of returning home and going through some basic hygiene notions, such as showering and washing my hair. I had to go to the doctor because I couldn't see it clearly enough to remove and didn't trust my boyfriend to do a clean job of it.

I know these girls don't brush their hair, but imagine how easily and SOONER it could have been detected if Lauren at least bothered to bath them regularly or look them over every now and then.

It makes me wonder what other parasites they are carrying around....shudder....

post-9386-14451998396846_thumb.jpg

I really hope lauren isn't fucking in the van whilst the girls are 'asleep'

Like these girls dont have enough trauma in their lives already

[attachment=0]SP pic.JPG[/attachment]

I really hope lauren isn't fucking in the van whilst the girls are 'asleep'

Like these girls dont have enough trauma in their lives already

Yes, when I saw that clay layout and the little "teleporter" by the bed, it broke my heart. If you are cozy in your bed with your love, why would you need to transport yourself somewhere else? Makes my mind go to some really scary thoughts about what goes on in that van.

Haligh the Liar, I'm pretty sure nobody here said that community colleges in particular give out low grades and nobody said that they have bad students or teachers. My friends that attended community college were certainly not stupid. I think the argument is American higher learning institutes in general hand out more As and Bs than Australian ones.

You said:

"Obviously, the average CC students is different and generally lower scoring than students at a state or private university, because CCs are open enrollment, meaning anyone can take any course provided they have the prerequisites. "

Well, Australian universities have open enrollment too. That's the reason we don't need community colleges. If students can't afford their fees the government will cover them through the HECS program. You have to pay the government back, but only when your income hits a certain point (I think about $40,000 per year). Because of that, even the best universities here have students from a diverse range of economic backgrounds. As with community colleges, HECS means that anyone can enroll as long as the meet the prerequisites. Our government has other programs to give students financial aid too, so they can afford the things HECS doesn't cover like books and rent.

I really wish America had a system more like ours, so that accredited universities could have an open enrollment program. Our open enrollment isn't identical to the community college open enrollment, but I feel it's similar enough for the two to be compared. Our system is not even close to ideal, but it does allow people from low income backgrounds to have access to higher learning that would be impossible for them without HECS.

Laurent doesn't get her daughter's dreads professionally tuned for the same reason she didn't let the girls continue grief counseling, which is the same reason she 'radically unschools' them. Because she's a lazy narcissist who doesn't give a shit if she doesn't benefit personally in some way.

So, she "sought medical advice" about the paralysis tick. Do you think this was WebMD or do you think she actually TOOK the child to a doctor???

I was about to type "I find this very alarming!" but then I didn't, because why would this be alarming? This is normal Lauren behavior.

Vex, I think open enrolment isn't about fees: it's that anyone can enrol in the course without having to meet admission requirements. it's like open university in AU, except that's that's distance only.

Program wise, CCs offer the same 2 year associates degrees that many TAFE colleges offer in Australia. However, because those programs are few and far between at AU tech colleges, places are competitive.

haligh, sorry if it was a stacks on CC. it wasn't meant to be (at least from my end). i don't think cc's are somehow diminishing the quality of education. there are good institutions of all sorts - CC, universities, technical colleges. Similarly, there are appalling institutions of all sorts. different institutions serve different purposes, and we need em all. and we need em all to be decent. or should aspire to it, anyway.

ohnomoe - where have you studied? sounds... awful.

also, there is no question the best schools in the US beat the best schools in AU. by... a bazillion miles.

anyway. sorry. and back to your regularly scheduled snark.

Thanks for explaining that, Jaelh.

I might be wrong but has Lauren had issues with ticks before? They are an extremely serious problem. I'm pretty sure the medical advice was a facebook pm to a friend whose mother was a nurse or something equally dodgy.

Vex, I think open enrolment isn't about fees: it's that anyone can enrol in the course without having to meet admission requirements. it's like open university in AU, except that's that's distance only.

Program wise, CCs offer the same 2 year associates degrees that many TAFE colleges offer in Australia. However, because those programs are few and far between at AU tech colleges, places are competitive.

haligh, sorry if it was a stacks on CC. it wasn't meant to be (at least from my end). i don't think cc's are somehow diminishing the quality of education. there are good institutions of all sorts - CC, universities, technical colleges. Similarly, there are appalling institutions of all sorts. different institutions serve different purposes, and we need em all. and we need em all to be decent. or should aspire to it, anyway.

ohnomoe - where have you studied? sounds... awful.

also, there is no question the best schools in the US beat the best schools in AU. by... a bazillion miles.

anyway. sorry. and back to your regularly scheduled snark.

Kind of related but this thread made me look up top ranked Universities in the world. Depending on which link you click after search the results vary. I used..

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... ld-ranking

There is a little box that allows you to change the criteria on which the scores are made. I clicked teaching environment and research as these would be important for me. Although not radical it does change the order.

I'm not sure though that good Universities reflects good education in a particular country. I think the top ten world renowned Uni's benefit from the fact that they attract overseas students from countries with a far better standard of education. South Korea as example. Sweden.

They are built on reputation, history and yes money. I think like a lot of other accepted norms of the Western world this will change in the future.

I really just can't with the getting a score for just being there thing? Seriously? The UK just announced that their GCSE exams will be returning to exam only, no more assessment, no more coursework. Probably requires it own thread. I'm actually ok with it.

She really should have noticed the tick long before it affected Lana. I had a barefoot, bush walking, free and easy childhood in far north Queensland, and we all knew to check for ticks after time spent in the scrub. Mum and Dad checked too, for the younger ones. I had a tick in my navel once, back in the days when we killed them with methylated spirits. Nowadays you just pull them off, but I still smile remembering lying on the lounge room floor with a belly button full of metho, like a little tick swimming pool. There was no way any of us four kids had a tick on us long enough to actually cause physical harm. This, people, is why you brush your little bush baby's hair.

Lauren's latest posts:

Dear FJ, My kids can too read, and they're not sleep deprived, either. And I'm very responsible around water! And they wear shoes when there are prickles!

regards, Lauren.

I am absolutely HORRIFIED by her little tick adventure. I have a hard time believing that a child that age and size would NOT be hospitalized for the condition, especially since you cannot predict whether it impacts breathing and Lana showed signs of very advanced toxicity from the quick research I did. Furthermore, how the HELL does a tick get the size of your pink before you notice it behind your child's EAR.

I had a child who got Lyme Disease from a tick bite when she was 3.5 years old. The tick embedded in her thigh fold. I saw it, but it was a nymph and I thought it was a freckle. She complained that it was hurting. We caught it well before it was bloated up and that was tiny and hidden. This tick was behind her child's EAR and by all accounts I can find it has to be present at least four days for the toxins to build to the level they did in Lana.

In short, she damn well nearly killed a second child from her persistent neglect and lack of engagement with her children. There is no way she saw an actual doctor for that bite. I would guess she consulted some hippy friends or at most googled and determined it was normal and she would ignore all the warnings to go to a doctor if you show any signs of actual paralysis, which by her own description Lana more than qualified.

I just LOVE the discussion that they all decided that Lana was actually FAKING most of her symptoms. Cause nearly killing her child isn't enough for the Sparkly one, she just dismiss a serious medical situation and call the child faking while she's at it.

I read up on the ticks. One adult female tick can apparently kill up to four rats during engorgement, moving from one to another. Paralysis ticks also carry bacterial fevers such as Rickettsia, Q Fever and Borrelia (like Lyme Disease).

They can be fatal in humans too. According to one publication, the highest risk group for unnoticed ticks is . . . young girls with long hair.

Especially when it's never brushed, I suppose.

The only nice thing I can say about her recent posts is that it is great to see Aisha smiling and playing like a child.

My mother had some serious mental issues. We went to the dentist when I was very young, but that stopped when I was about 7. They said my brother needed orthodontic work and very probably headgear, so no more dentist. At about 10, I had massive tooth decay. It was to the point that I had to use a tooth pick to clean out the food from my cavities after eating. I spit a piece of broken tooth out at the dinner table. I refused solid food entirely for days because it hurt so much to chew. After my mother died (by the way, it was a homicide and I was never ever taught to treat it as "neutral"), my dad finally took me to the dentist. I was 17 and about to leave for college. The dentist did x-rays to determine which teeth could be saved and I endured hours of drilling and filling, including my four top front teeth, and then had to go to an oral surgeon to get three molars removed. Two of them shattered on the way out because they were so hollow and decayed.

Congrats to my mother, though. She passed on her fear of the dentist so well that it's been 10 years since that time and I still can't make myself an appointment. I remember the terror of being 17 and being told, "well, we'll do what we can but we might have to take all the top front ones out." I keep thinking I'll save up the money to go to a place that will do sedation, or at least find a doctor willing to take pity on me and prescribe me something for dentist day, but the anxiety is too bad to even get that far. I'm not afraid of the tools and the drilling and the little bit of pain. I'm afraid I'll hear that I could lose half of my teeth again.

There isn't a single photo of me in high school with an open mouthed smile.

In conclusion, Lauren is a bitch. She's setting her girls up for a lifetime of avoidable problems and anxiety because she can't be bothered to even take care of their teeth. I mean, I even brushed mine as a kid, but I have weak teeth and it just wasn't enough. She can't even be assed to brush them.

I know there are a ton of things wrong with her parenting, but dental hygiene is a personal trigger of mine.

Does the timeline make sense for it be her sister they asked about the tick? Because 'sought medical advice' is not something you'd say if you'd been to see the doctor.

Cate, you may not need full sedation. Ask about them using nitrous oxide or about getting a prescription for valium. I also choose a dentist who has an endodontist onsite in case I need something more than your average torture session. There are also advanced pain relief techniques. Have a friend call around for you, find a dentist with nitrous, an endodontist and the special syringes and make the appointment for you.

It has been good to return to Leeton to catch up with our friends here. These are folks who knew me from when I was fresh off the plane from Africa, nineteen years old with an ego the size of the Outback.

So not much has changed, then.

Although the left-over bits of sticky-tape sometimes drive me crazy, I’m thankful that Lana’s occupied, creative and happy. While I know it’s just a phase, I like to think that she’s building up skills that will prove useful in the future.
Delaney/Lana will be well-equipped to work in the shipping department when she grows up. She's already mastered tape!

How come there are never any other children at these amazing playgrounds when Lauren is there? Does everyone avoid her?

That tick story is terrifying. How can you not take your kid to the doctor when she is experiencing FACIAL PARALYSIS!

Count me as one of the people who doesn't believe "sought medical advice" means that she went to a real doctor.

Archived