IGNORED

One rotisserie chicken for 12 people

Hisey

I just ate an entire "freezer pizza" by myself. And I liked it.

I sincerely hope I'm not the only one who read this to the tune of the Katy Perry song...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking about men being served first, and males getting the best portions makes me think about my own dad. He is 83, and suffering with Dementia. He is still the sweetest, most kindhearted gentleman I have ever known. When it was time to eat, he always made sure my brothers and I got the best pieces of meat, saying he wanted to make sure we enjoyed the food, and he wouldn't take no for an answer. How I love this man.

We quite literally just finished eating leftover roast chicken. Two of us (kid only drinks milk as of yet), two meals each out of it. So four servings (and sometimes we can finish it in one meal between the two of us), plus there were sides at both meals. I can't imagine eating only 1/3 of that, especially since nursing is making me ravenous! Isn't that a consideration for these super-breeders, since the mom must need extra calories during pregnancy and/or nursing (i.e., always)?

Edit: fallgirl, that's a very sweet story about your dad. I hope he is doing ok; I'll put him in the light.

My family pulled shit like this when I was a cub. One pizza cut into slivers. One piece of meat minced to bits. I learned to hoard non perishables very early. This is bullshit plain and simple.

If she served salad with beans or some other protein it might be a healthy meal, but most of us like more than a bite of chicken if chicken is being served.

Edit: fallgirl, that's a very sweet story about your dad. I hope he is doing ok; I'll put him in the light.

Thank you for this. I wasn't sure he'd be with us for another holiday, but he is, and he still manages to enjoy his life. Thank you for your thoughts.

I sincerely hope I'm not the only one who read this to the tune of the Katy Perry song...

No.

:lol:

My ex-husband grew up in a largish sibling group. His family had plenty of money, so his stories of hunger have always perplexed me. His mom would serve one chicken with a side of potatoes and veggies for five teenaged children and one adult. They would fight over it and be hungry after dinner.

Needless to say, our kids never went without food.

As to the rotisserie chicken thing, my son can eat one by himself if allowed. I get one (with two sides) for three people and there are no leftovers.

Thank you for this. I wasn't sure he'd be with us for another holiday, but he is, and he still manages to enjoy his life. Thank you for your thoughts.

Your story made me smile too. :)

On topic: It's one thing if your kids are really young and don't eat very much. My brothers hardly ate anything until they hit growth spurts and then it was all my parents could do to keep up with how much protein/other food they craved. My brother told me that from ages 10-17, he always felt hungry, no matter how much he had eaten. I can't imagine my mom cutting down food by half because "that is all we need to get by."

you could get 6 or 8 servings if you did the portions like they did in the 60's. I have a vintage betty crocker cookbook and a serving of chicken was one thigh or one leg or half of a chicken breast. that would be pretty close to the deck of playing cards protein size. one chicken for 12 people if served as chicken would be difficult. now if you took that chicken to make chicken and dumplings or chicken chili you could manage it. however rotisserie chickens always seem to be a bit on the smaller side.

I understand the LiaS folks are on a tight budget. But Kim constantly posts about going to Starbucks. Jeez, from the sound of it, if she cut out 1.5 Starbucks she could afford a second chicken for her kids. That's sure the choice I would make.

I second this. What logical adult indulges in a treat and then justifies that while 2 chickens would certainly give her children more to eat and go further...but one will make do so lets go with that. Its truly disgusting to me.

I once went on a picnic with friends and we grabbed a chicken to take with us as we were lazy (plus, it was my birthday celebration so hey, chicken is delicious). There were five of us: two girls who tend to eat smaller portions, one who tended to eat larger portions, and one who ate normal portions. We devoured the chicken. I can't imagine getting it to 12 people.

If she is so damn poor she should buy two chickens and roast them herself.

Rotisserie is great once in a while, but a chicken only takes an hour or so to cook, with twelve kids I'd be more concerned with the quantity than the time factor. Especially if she is making fresh mash, not much time difference really.

Maybe she buys a super dooper GM Super chicken? We don't get them here, could that be it? Steroid chicken? :lol:

Even a steroid chicken is going to max out at about 5.5 pounds. Most rotisseries are in the 3 pound range. I just cannot figure out how to feed 12 people with one roast chicken even with sides. My overall battle plan would go something like:

1. Stop breeding

2. Learn to cook

A serving is supposed to be three ounces.

Now if it's a big enough chicken I can pull twelve 3 ounce servings off a bird.

Cut each breast in half = 4 (It it's big enough a half is more than enough for a big man. It's enough for my 6 foot husband who rides 8+ miles a day on his bike)

Thighs = 2

Legs = 2

Pull on your gloves and strip every last shred of meat from the bones = 2-3 cups, usually.

Which works great in a soup or mixed with a cream sauce or pesto and put over pasta. But who would want to just eat shredded bits of chicken?

Ohhhh, right, children who don't have any other choice and are probably hungry all the time.

I just hope she had a ton of sides.

It would be so interesting to know how many calories per day the family members are allowed to eat and how it's divided between protein, carbs and fat.

I always buy a whole chicken that weighs about 2.6 pounds and roast it myself and that makes four servings, ie two dinners for the two of us. My SO eats the breasts and I eat the legs. The cats get the wings and any small bits and pieces I can pull from the carcass. I have no idea how one chicken can feed 12 people. If I was to serve fowl to a party of 12, I would buy a turkey.

Kim is as bad as Kelly Crawford with food and other things we snark on. She makes a big deal out of "treating" the kids when the finish a workbook or something but they are limited to the Dollar Menu. Although I do believe in teaching the value of money, I think it is crappy that they have to only choose from a set menu when it is their celebration. On a side note, they also are not allowed to spend much time in their rooms. Bedrooms are for sleeping, living space is for living. Can you imagine the noise with 9 kids and not being allowed to escape for a bit?

Anyway, Kim and Perry are as bad as the rest of them despite wine drinking, video games and allowing their kids to trick or treat.

I hate to bring facts into the argument, but the recommended serving size for chicken is 3 ounces, and there are around 24 ounces of meat on a chicken. You should get eight servings off it, depending on the size of the bird.

ETA: apparently costco chickens are 3 pounds, which gives around 28 ounces of meat, which should be nine servings.

If she is so damn poor she should buy two chickens and roast them herself.

Rotisserie is great once in a while, but a chicken only takes an hour or so to cook, with twelve kids I'd be more concerned with the quantity than the time factor. Especially if she is making fresh mash, not much time difference really.

Maybe she buys a super dooper GM Super chicken? We don't get them here, could that be it? Steroid chicken? :lol:

Rotisserie chickens are loss leaders here, they are often cheaper than raw. I believe this goes double for costco. In fact it's common for lots ofthings. I guess because of wastage with fresh/ unfrozen food?

Growing children eat more than adults and rightfully need to eat more. I have 8 children in the house and we would need 2 Costco chickens plus sides to feed everyone. Six of my kids are teens and pre-teens and I am discovering that it does make a difference, but even when they were younger, I would have bought two chickens and had left-overs.

Dh and I both went without food as children due to poverty plus neglectful parents and we are firmly committed to our children NEVER going hungry. Our house rule for meals is youngest to oldest. That has always ensured two things. First, when there is something special and coveted, even the tiniest person gets some before the big kids devour it and it's gone. Second, if money is tight or if we underestimate how much food was needed to feed the family, the children are served before DH and I and the two adults can scrounge if we run out of dinner.

I don't consider one chicken, not even an oversized Costco one, a good option for a family that size. However, I always prefer to have left-overs so that growing children can snack on left-overs later so when in doubt I always go up and never down.

And in her post on October 26: "After we got home from the baby shower, I listed a few items on craigslist and we had freezer pizza for dinner because everyone was exhausted..."

A freezer pizza for 12 people?!! Shit, my s.o. and I can easily finish off a LARGE pizza from a pizza place. WTF!

ETA: Okay, she said "freezer pizza" and not "a freezer pizza," but honestly, it would not surprise me if it had been just one.

Sounds like the Jeubs. One costco pizza for a dozen or so people, then they can fill up on free samples :?

Growing children eat more than adults and rightfully need to eat more. I have 8 children in the house and we would need 2 Costco chickens plus sides to feed everyone. Six of my kids are teens and pre-teens and I am discovering that it does make a difference, but even when they were younger, I would have bought two chickens and had left-overs.

Dh and I both went without food as children due to poverty plus neglectful parents and we are firmly committed to our children NEVER going hungry. Our house rule for meals is youngest to oldest. That has always ensured two things. First, when there is something special and coveted, even the tiniest person gets some before the big kids devour it and it's gone. Second, if money is tight or if we underestimate how much food was needed to feed the family, the children are served before DH and I and the two adults can scrounge if we run out of dinner.

I don't consider one chicken, not even an oversized Costco one, a good option for a family that size. However, I always prefer to have left-overs so that growing children can snack on left-overs later so when in doubt I always go up and never down.

So true. I can assure you there have been many days when I have been amazed at just how much my (very healthy) children can eat.

When I was newly married, my in-laws invited me over to dinner when my husband was working out of town. She served a Cornish game hen for the three of us. It was one tiny bird. Now, for the two of us, we get two meals each from one normal size chicken and then the rest becomes chicken salad or chicken tetrazzini and what's left I turn into chicken stock. I hate wasting food so almost anything I serve that has a bone (ham, roast beef) becomes soup.

Jesus, if she would check out her supermarket flyers, she could buy some Perdue Oven Stuffers when they go on sale. ShopRite puts them on sale for .88 a pound occasionally. She'd get an 8 pound bird for 7 bucks. God forbid she should buy a few and stick them in the freezer. (I'm biased toward Oven Stuffers since the supermarket rotisserie chickens have too much sodium in them for hubby's kidney. Altho I will confess to standing over the hot rotisserie chickens and inhaling deeply.)

Growing up like this is how I learned to horde food. As in, I would grab snacks (cookies, crackers, etc.) that were easy to hide, and stash them in my room. And then I would be found out by my mom, which was very shaming. To this day, although I am a healthy weight as an adult, I have anxiety about not having enough food, and I have to be very careful about not over-eating and over-buying just to quell my anxiety.

Not saying this situation=eating disorder, but constant low-level hunger and anxiety about having enough to eat can trigger unhealthy thoughts and habits in some kids. l:

Just wanted to say I hear you. My parents went through a when I was a teenager that they were pretty broke. They were never poor- we lived in a huge house in the richest county in WI- but they had severe cash flow issues. For three years in a row I had raisin bran for two meals a day. Meanwhile, we lived in a huge house and mom always had money for her food ( she gained enough weight to become morbidly obese)

I have had food security issues too, no big surprise. To this day I tell the kids at every meal they can have more of whatever they want, and when I visit the store I ask them if they want anything. Oddly, the teenager says no, but the lil girl asks for fruit like cherries or grapefruit or strawberries every time.

We exercise as a family and my kids are all a little bit underweight (Dads genes) but I'm hoping I might have just wiped out generations of food insecurity.

I hate to bring facts into the argument, but the recommended serving size for chicken is 3 ounces, and there are around 24 ounces of meat on a chicken. You should get eight servings off it, depending on the size of the bird.

ETA: apparently costco chickens are 3 pounds, which gives around 28 ounces of meat, which should be nine servings.

I was going to note this, too. A serving of chicken should be, as you say, 3 or 4 ounces. What we consider "sides" in the standard U.S. meat-starch-vegetable meal should be the larger part of the plate nutritionally. Ideally, everyone should get a small portion of meat, a small portion of rice/potatoes/pasta/bread and fill the plate with vegetables.

We kind of have it backwards. My nephew was always upset eating at my parents' house because he was served one piece of meat/poultry and there was no more. There were plenty of "sides" to eat--usually more than one vegetable dish plus rice, potatoes, or noodles of some kind (and at my mom's house the pasta is always whole wheat and the rice is always brown). At his mother's house, they got three or more pieces of meat or poultry (i.e. steaks, pork chops, chicken breasts, etc...) and had a spoonful of vegetable on the side. Not a healthy way to eat.

A three pound chicken is still not enough for 12 people. But if you are serving four or five people an average 5-7 lb chicken and finishing it off in one meal...

Well, everything is always bigger in Texas, right? : )

Maybe Kim C foresees hard times coming at Perry's place of employment??? [see other thread] : )

Growing up like this is how I learned to horde food. As in, I would grab snacks (cookies, crackers, etc.) that were easy to hide, and stash them in my room. And then I would be found out by my mom, which was very shaming. To this day, although I am a healthy weight as an adult, I have anxiety about not having enough food, and I have to be very careful about not over-eating and over-buying just to quell my anxiety.

Not saying this situation=eating disorder, but constant low-level hunger and anxiety about having enough to eat can trigger unhealthy thoughts and habits in some kids. And heaven forbid they make use of social programs to supplement their food supplies, because relying upon the ebil government is a sign that you are not trusting god to provide :roll:

When my husband was so sick from MS he couldn't walk across a room, let alone work, we regularly went without food- for about 2 years. That was 5 years ago, and I still hide food, buy too much and worry about running out of food constantly. I can't imagine doing that to children. (For the record, we always fed the dog. Not the best stuff, but he got fed even if we didn't.)

Archived