IGNORED

One rotisserie chicken for 12 people

Hisey

According to Kim at LiaS, anyhow

We could easily eat 2, but we found that one plump bird provides a serving for each of us. Two chickens would be expensive, but if we can get by on one then it’s a very reasonably priced meal that we enjoy often.

inashoe.com/

She is talking about Costco rotisserie chickens, which cost. . . what.. . $9? I haven't shopped at Costco for a while. Is it more like $7?

One rotisserie chicken for 12 people, including one gigantic man (Perry), and 10 kids aged 1 to about 17. That doesn't seem right. Kim says they are given one "portion" and are told to fill up on sides if they are still hungry. Of course they are still hungry, Kim! My family of 4 can eat one chicken for dinner.

I wonder if Perry (who always looks kind of scary to me) gets a specially big portion, since he is the headship and all. Or do both Perry and the boys get extra? That sort of thing happened to my mother when she was growing up. Her brother got the best parts of the chicken, because he was a boy. Things like that left her with life-long self-esteem issues.

I guess this is nothing compared to Kelly-2-chicken-breasts, except for the fact that Kim has way more older kids and teens who are likely to need much more than 1/12 of a chicken.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell, the fancy ones I buy at Whole Foods are $7.99. And I love how she calls her homemade bread "artisan".

Safeway has $5 Fridays for rotisserie chickens. I've found that one will feed my family of 5- two adults, three children- and not much left over. And, I provide ample sides, like salad and mac & cheese usually.

And in her post on October 26: "After we got home from the baby shower, I listed a few items on craigslist and we had freezer pizza for dinner because everyone was exhausted..."

A freezer pizza for 12 people?!! Shit, my s.o. and I can easily finish off a LARGE pizza from a pizza place. WTF!

ETA: Okay, she said "freezer pizza" and not "a freezer pizza," but honestly, it would not surprise me if it had been just one.

According to Kim at LiaS, anyhow

http://inashoe.com/

She is talking about Costco rotisserie chickens, which cost. . . what.. . $9? I haven't shopped at Costco for a while. Is it more like $7?

One rotisserie chicken for 12 people, including one gigantic man (Perry), and 10 kids aged 1 to about 17. That doesn't seem right. Kim says they are given one "portion" and are told to fill up on sides if they are still hungry. Of course they are still hungry, Kim! My family of 4 can eat one chicken for dinner.

I wonder if Perry (who always looks kind of scary to me) gets a specially big portion, since he is the headship and all. Or do both Perry and the boys get extra? That sort of thing happened to my mother when she was growing up. Her brother got the best parts of the chicken, because he was a boy. Things like that left her with life-long self-esteem issues.

I guess this is nothing compared to Kelly-2-chicken-breasts, except for the fact that Kim has way more older kids and teens who are likely to need much more than 1/12 of a chicken.

That seems so inadequate to me. I know my food choices aren't ideal by any means, but I could probably demolish a rotesserie chicken by myself in roughly three meals (if you include leftovers). I mean, I suppose if you stretch it by adding it to other dishes, maybe it could feed that many people? Sides help, but that just doesn't seem like adequate protein.

There's some discussion on this topic at the "another kid but not enough adequate food" thread.

Costco chickens are either $5 or $6. There was a recent item on the financial news about how their marketing strategy is to keep chicken prices low to lure people into the store (no coincidence that chickens are a-roastin' way in the back of the store).

Someone in that thread said one chicken is meant to serve 6. Based on my experiences, I agree that one chicken can feed at least 5 adults.

And in her post on October 26: "After we got home from the baby shower, I listed a few items on craigslist and we had freezer pizza for dinner because everyone was exhausted..."

A freezer pizza for 12 people?!! Shit, my s.o. and I can easily finish off a LARGE pizza from a pizza place. WTF!

ETA: Okay, she said "freezer pizza" and not "a freezer pizza," but honestly, it would not surprise me if it had been just one.

I also wonder about the freezer pizza. If they had two pizzas it might have been ok for 12 people.

One a hungry day my husband and I can eat 3/4 of one of those chickens by ourselves with a little leftover for sandwiches the next day! Maybe if those 12 people were all one year olds.

I just recently bought one of those $5.00 Friday Safeway/Vons rotisserie chickens. It comfortably fed my family of 4, which included my young adult son. If you have small children, I could see it feeding two adults and four kids. 12 people, not so much! On the other hand, I've gotten the same rotisserie chicken, and made enough fried rice to feed a small army! As anyone with a teenaged boy knows, you can take the amount of food you think you need and double it!

There's some discussion on this topic at the "another kid but not enough adequate food" thread.

Costco chickens are either $5 or $6. There was a recent item on the financial news about how their marketing strategy is to keep chicken prices low to lure people into the store (no coincidence that chickens are a-roastin' way in the back of the store).

Someone in that thread said one chicken is meant to serve 6. Based on my experiences, I agree that one chicken can feed at least 5 adults.

My Costco run was this weekend and I bought two chickens for $5 each which is about a dollar and a half less than the HEB/Safeway rotisserie. (And an identical size...not an oversized chicken like most Costco items.) I can usually make four meals out of a Rotisserie chicken for myself (I'm single so side dishes are usually a handful of salad greens, a scoop of rice, or anything that does not require much thought.) I used the other to make a tortilla soup, which is probably 6-8 servings.

The article you're thinking of is here: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-09/costco-stands-behind-its-cheap-rotisserie-chicken-strategy Costco does the same thing for gas and their snack bar hot dogs.

Sounds like my grandma, at family get togethers she would give my dad and brothers bigger and better portions, an extra piece of meat etc. Plus she would serve them first. And people wonder why I despise her so much.

This is ridiculous- I grew up in a family of 5 and we would demolish a single rotisserie chicken (plus veggies and sides, to round it out) in a single meal. My mom, being a frugal sort, made chicken noodle soup the next day with the bones and whatever meat was left on them. It boggles my mind that these people think that feeding their children adequately is an unnecessary expenditure. It's really not hard to do if you are smart and plan ahead well.

Sounds like my grandma, at family get togethers she would give my dad and brothers bigger and better portions, an extra piece of meat etc. Plus she would serve them first. And people wonder why I despise her so much.

My mother has had lifelong issues from being treated like that. By four I'd learned that "I'm a man." was bound to send her into a fit. She ordered one of my uncles out of the house because he had a temper tantrum after she insisted on feeding the children first. His excuse was he was a man. As she said poor excuse of a man who can't wait ten minutes until his own children get started to eat before stuffing his own face.

I've had one rotisserie chicken from Costco along with five sides plus bread and dessert feed five adults and one toddler and had leftovers. I've also had a starving 6 foot five man who hadn't eaten for twelve hours go through 1.5 grocery store chickens plus a plate and a half of stuffing and vegetables then look around for dessert.

I can see why you would despise her.

My father used to make a very obvious point of serving my brothers first, in order to show me my place. Took me a while to figure out what he was doing. He would constantly shift his eyes over to me to see if I would notice.

My Dad always gets first pick at the chicken and always takes the drumsticks. He was one of the younger siblings in a very large family so he got what was left after everyone else took their pick. I often wonder if it makes him happy to know that now, at age 77, he can always get his beloved drumsticks. :)

My husband is built like a Viking....our toddlers are both girls, and normally eat like birds. Unless its rotisserie chicken. They have been known to singlehandedly devour almost a half of it BY THEMSELVES. (And I let them, because it share to get good protein into tiny kids, and we would have to literally out of money before I would take away good food like that from my kids) my husband would kill me if I tried to feed him such piddly portions. And no good mom tries to feed her kids as little as possible while simultaneously breeding like a freaking rabbit*. Sorry, not sorry.

*when they have access to stopping the babies, but don't for "religious reasons". :angry-banghead:

I understand the LiaS folks are on a tight budget. But Kim constantly posts about going to Starbucks. Jeez, from the sound of it, if she cut out 1.5 Starbucks she could afford a second chicken for her kids. That's sure the choice I would make.

I understand the LiaS folks are on a tight budget. But Kim constantly posts about going to Starbucks. Jeez, from the sound of it, if she cut out 1.5 Starbucks she could afford a second chicken for her kids. That's sure the choice I would make.

Parenting. She's doing it wrong.

Growing up like this is how I learned to horde food. As in, I would grab snacks (cookies, crackers, etc.) that were easy to hide, and stash them in my room. And then I would be found out by my mom, which was very shaming. To this day, although I am a healthy weight as an adult, I have anxiety about not having enough food, and I have to be very careful about not over-eating and over-buying just to quell my anxiety.

Not saying this situation=eating disorder, but constant low-level hunger and anxiety about having enough to eat can trigger unhealthy thoughts and habits in some kids. And heaven forbid they make use of social programs to supplement their food supplies, because relying upon the ebil government is a sign that you are not trusting god to provide :roll:

Growing up like this is how I learned to horde food. As in, I would grab snacks (cookies, crackers, etc.) that were easy to hide, and stash them in my room. And then I would be found out by my mom, which was very shaming. To this day, although I am a healthy weight as an adult, I have anxiety about not having enough food, and I have to be very careful about not over-eating and over-buying just to quell my anxiety.

Not saying this situation=eating disorder, but constant low-level hunger and anxiety about having enough to eat can trigger unhealthy thoughts and habits in some kids. And heaven forbid they make use of social programs to supplement their food supplies, because relying upon the ebil government is a sign that you are not trusting god to provide :roll:

My Dad still eats super fast because with six kids and not a whole lot of money you had to be fast to get full.

I don't know about the size of Costco chickens but where I live one rotisserie chicken might feed 4 people. I would have bought 3 for the family and if there was any leftover, used it to make soup.

My family of... *counts* 5, minus me because I'm vegan, so 3 adults and one older teenager plus the dog and cat can take care of a rotisserie chicken. And sometimes my mom brings home 2, for 4 people (the animals don't get much, and I think it's mostly the less desirable parts that the humans don't want anyway).

Even as a vegan I can't imagine doing that to a family or 12.

I can see why you would despise her.

My father used to make a very obvious point of serving my brothers first, in order to show me my place. Took me a while to figure out what he was doing. He would constantly shift his eyes over to me to see if I would notice.

The reason Grandma acted like that is because that was the way she was raised. Women should always wait on the men, put them on a pedestal and overlook their indiscretions. Even when she hit 90 her brother would come to visit for a three day weekend she would wait on him hand and foot. After he'd leave she would just be exhausted for days. Her favortism of her sons and grandsons led her to become estranged from her daughters. Even though favored my dad I saw through her bullshit at an early age. Back to topic, this talking of chicken makes want to run to the grocery store and get a Golden Plump rotisserie!

The reason Grandma acted like that is because that was the way she was raised. Women should always wait on the men, put them on a pedestal and overlook their indiscretions. Even when she hit 90 her brother would come to visit for a three day weekend she would wait on him hand and foot. After he'd leave she would just be exhausted for days. Her favortism of her sons and grandsons led her to become estranged from her daughters. Even though favored my dad I saw through her bullshit at an early age. Back to topic, this talking of chicken makes want to run to the grocery store and get a Golden Plump rotisserie!

Good for u seeing though her bullshit.

Archived