IGNORED

in NM stretching= intro into eastern religions

DarkAnts

Representative Alonzo Baldonado expressed "concern" ie ignorance in the Albuquerque Journal about the pre workout stretches/ mat work one physical ed instructor is doing in public school. He expressed concern because yoga is supposedly linked to eastern religions specifically Buddhism and hinduism. Baldonado is from what I can tell a findie. I dont understand how stretching, relaxation and breathing are considered non christian. They are not part of a religion at all. They are part of a whole body fitness program.

FYI dingbat Balonado says that he is not raciest.

Link to the story

http://www.abqjournal.com/289858/news/pe-stretching-raises-religion-concern.html

Stupid autocorrect it should be eastern not easter.

A person I know* from college, who is now in seminary to become a Catholic priest had posted a bunch of stuff about how yoga invites demonic possession. It was awhile ago and I can't find the exact article he had posted but basically even if you don't connect any of the movements with Eastern religions or spirituality and even if the type of yoga is as authentic as Olive Garden it's still a sin. Just doing a pose is enough.

*he's kind of a jerk so acquaintance doesn't seen right

It sound like him and Baldonado are trying to prove that they are christian. If you have to try that hard then you are doing something wrong.

This has come up before in other school districts. My MIL believes this as well as other gems like "Hindus will put a spell on you:. Eastern religion, philosophy, yoga= SATAN in their eyes.

Yes, my ex-fundie-but-still-fundie-at-heart family also believes this. They think stretching is like the gateway drug of Eastern mysticism. I got the stink eye and uncomfortable silences anytime I mentioned doing yoga. With my mother's medical problems, she would probably benefit enormously from yoga, but she refused to consider it. Just like she refused to join a support group for her condition because "that's just a bunch of people sitting around feeling sorry for themselves" :roll: Sorry, didn't mean to derail.

TL;DR: Yes, this is unfortunately common among fundies.

My kids have been doing yoga for years at school (and it's called yoga, not stretching) and not a single one of them has come home demanding we worship Shiva. They do occasionally behave like demons but they snap out of it pretty quickly and, quite honestly, they've been that way since they were 18 months old. Maybe the school isn't doing it right!

I'm doing light yoga to help me with my weight and medical issues, and if anything, it has strengthened my faith and belief in God.

My son does yoga with a couple of yoga for kids dvd's he's got. He loves it, and has never once demanded that we begin worshiping Hindu deities. This Maldonado is a maroon of the first water.

Its dangerous for children or anyone to not stretching before exercise. That can lead to serious injures.

RosyDaisy, I hope yoga continues to help you. Its helped me deal with anxiety.

My son does yoga with a couple of yoga for kids dvd's he's got. He loves it, and has never once demanded that we begin worshiping Hindu deities. This Maldonado is a maroon of the first water.

Have you checked his closet to make sure there is no secret shrine?

Have you checked his closet to make sure there is no secret shrine?

There's no shrine in there unless it's a shrine to Batman, because that's where he keeps his Batcave and all his Batman action figures. :lol:

(partially off-topic)

Actually, it is now believed that stretching before exercising is physically harmful.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/w ... -exercise/

Thank you for that link. I guess I am behind the times.

“It has been a long time since anyone has recommended extensive stretching before exercise, because it has been known for a while now that the best time to stretch is after,†says Richard Cotton, the national director of certification at the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).

Read more: Why Stretching May Not Help Before Exercise | TIME.com http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/w ... z2jJQWPAgn

My sister-in-law has a yoga studio. She definitely teaches watered down Eastern religions there. If she were to teach in schools (and a lot of schools that use yoga have people who are not certified teachers in to do it), she would start telling kids about how they need to balance their chakras (pseudo-science) and get in touch with the god within themselves and that if you don't salute the sun every morning the universe will not give you good things. She considers yoga her religion and says so loudly. She also attacks everyone in the family who ever sees a doctor. Because just doing yoga will cure heart disease, cancer, my genetic retinal defect and any other major or minor thing ever wrong with anyone.

If people have encountered yoga nuts like her, their concerns about using yoga in schools are valid whether they are Christian, Jewish, any religion, no religion, or merely respect science.

My kids Christian preschool offered yoga (after regular hours, for extra $$ along with art, etc) but changed the title to "Christian yoga." my daughter took it, it was cute, just her being the tree, the animal, etc.

A lot of Christians dislike people like Joyce Meyer because she advocates meditating to experience the lords presence. I have read a lot of articles about how bad that supposedly is.

I'm not sure if it's a Catholic church or some Satanic cult I attend anymore... The church offers a yoga class for seniors, and one of the priests constantly talks about how important meditation is. :pink-shock:

Oh well. My former school friends who turned fundie think I'm going to hell, anyway.

A person I know* from college, who is now in seminary to become a Catholic priest had posted a bunch of stuff about how yoga invites demonic possession. It was awhile ago and I can't find the exact article he had posted but basically even if you don't connect any of the movements with Eastern religions or spirituality and even if the type of yoga is as authentic as Olive Garden it's still a sin. Just doing a pose is enough.

*he's kind of a jerk so acquaintance doesn't seen right

My priest also mentioned this when the yoga craze was starting. So messed up. It's just poses and stretching.

Its dangerous for children or anyone to not stretching before exercise. That can lead to serious injures.

RosyDaisy, I hope yoga continues to help you. Its helped me deal with anxiety.

This. And, thanks, it is helping. This might sound fundie, but I actually pray when I'm doing yoga. That's just me though. I don't tell others to do it that way, and I certainly don't tell them that yoga or eastern religions are evil (they definitely are not). I say do whatever works for you, otherwise, you won't get the maximum benefit.

Archived