IGNORED

A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones (Spoilers) (Merged)

ophelia

Hey,

does anybody read the books of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series?? The first one is called "Game of Thrones" and is also a TV show on HBO. My dear boyfriend started reading them when we made our roadtrip through Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and the New England States and it lead to the fact that I was driving all the time (which was actually pretty cool for me, because I could listen to all the great country stations and I LOVE to drive cars with automatic) but from time to time I got really angry because he totally ignored the beautiful landscape around us and I had to force him to look up from his book! Nevertheless I started reading them too during our camping trip to the Netherlands and now I can't put them away anymore. It's really a great story and I can't wait to find out how the persons will develope etc.

Is there anybody else out here infected, too???

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually don't like Sansa that much. I somehow like Tyrion.. he's not really likeable but he is clever and eloquent!

I am just now digging into A Dance with Dragons. I agree with AthenaC -- more Sansa! I enjoy hearing about her and even though I'm not sure I like her personality, I think she's definitely blossomed into one of the Strong Women of the series.

I too enjoy Tyrion -- the chapters written from his p-o-v really seem like they are the most amusing and that Tyrion is one of the more "fleshed out" characters, if you will.

Edited to note that there is already a thread on this here, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1337

I just finished A Clash of Kings - I got hooked after watching the HBO show and immediately bought A Game of Thrones. Now I have to wait until I get home to download A Storm of Swords for my Kindle!!

I like Tyrion, but Arya is my favorite character.

• 5 months later...

Nice to find fellow lovers of the series here. Just now re-reading the series plus the new Theon story GRRM posted online and remembering why I like his work so well. Have also seen GOT on HBO and reviewed Season 1 this month.

Tyrion is wonderful and I am delighted that Peter D.'s excellent work is winning awards. As a disabled woman living with chronic illness, it is so refreshing to see a character less than physically perfect on a show who manages to generally overcome limitations and challenges the expectations of those around him. I agree that a mind needs books the waya sword needs a whetstone if I'm phrasing it correctly.

Sansa I feel Meh but I am more like Arya myself.

I want to read them because I loved the HBO show, but I saw so many bad reviews for the last book... I'm always so sad when those series start great and then become less and less good so I dunno if I should..

I just finished A Clash of Kings, and I share the Tyrion love. My two favorite characters are Dany and Jon Snow. I don't like Sansa too much, but I find her part of the story more interesting than Arya's or Bran's.

I love these books. I started when the HBO series did--I don't HAVE HBO, but I said, "Oo, an epic fantasy series I haven't read yet? *buy*"

Jon Snow is my favorite--well, him and fat Samwell Tarly. I love how much Sam has grown already.

I love the series (if you can't already tell). ;) I'm halfway through A Feast for Crows right now (I stalled out a bit, lol). I started reading the books after getting completely hooked on the show and haven't looked back.

It's especially nice to see such well-rounded, human characters (especially his women characters). No one is totally good or totally evil, which I love.

• 3 months later...

Anyone else reading the series? I have yet to see the tv show although I have it downloaded. I'm waiting to finish Dance with Dragons until I start the show. :D

And for anyone who's finished the series to date...

Spoiler

OMG what a reveal about the boy! Doesn't he put a spanner in Daenarys' plans for the iron throne!

So excited for the last two books.

I have read all the books through Dance with Dragons. Love them, though I felt Dance with Dragons was more of a "tease" book and not as good as the other four. As to the spoiler you listed......I'm wondering if he is some kind of red herring.

just finished the first book. i have it on kindle, so i had to make myself an index card of all the houses and nicknames. I'm betting there's a good diagram in the print copy, but not on my ebook version.

just finished the first book. i have it on kindle, so i had to make myself an index card of all the houses and nicknames. I'm betting there's a good diagram in the print copy, but not on my ebook version.

I bought a box set of the first 4 books and it came with a seperate booklet of all the houses and characters, correct to the end of the 4th. It's mind boggling how GRRM keeps them all straight. He must have an epic character portfolio.

I have read all the books through Dance with Dragons. Love them, though I felt Dance with Dragons was more of a "tease" book and not as good as the other four. As to the spoiler you listed......I'm wondering if he is some kind of red herring.

Oooh hadn't thought of that. To distract from...?

I totally agree that Dance was nearly not as good as the earlier books, especially the first three. I was surprised by who the boy was. I am getting concerned that there are just too many characters and too much going on that GRRM won't be able to wrap it up in the next two books. I was having this conversation with some friends over dinner tonight and wondering what other's opinion are regarding the ending of Dance.

Do you think Jon is dead? We were disagreeing if he was dead or not but none of think he is dead and gone and not to come back some way

I laugh every time people who are new to the series complain about having to wait a year for a new season; I started reading the books in 1998 and I just answer "try 5 and a half years".

I totally agree that Dance was nearly not as good as the earlier books, especially the first three. I was surprised by who the boy was. I am getting concerned that there are just too many characters and too much going on that GRRM won't be able to wrap it up in the next two books. I was having this conversation with some friends over dinner tonight and wondering what other's opinion are regarding the ending of Dance.

I think it was better than A Feast for Crows. For me, it was because my two favorite characters (Jon and Tyrion) were present in Dance and not in Feast. I too think it will be difficult for GRRM to wrap it up in two books because of how many characters he introduced/fleshed out in Dance. I'm concerned that if he does stick to the seven-book schedule he'll end up short-changing the storylines of all of the characters. I'm worried that there are so many characters who aren't near the main action. Hopefully some of those viewpoints will be merged at some point in the next book.

I'm enjoying DwD because of Tyrion, and I feel like it's going at a better pace. I did feel that the middle books spent a lot of time in the Riverlands with Arya and the Hound, Jaime and Brienne, not really getting anywhere.

Oooh hadn't thought of that. To distract from...?

Here is why I suspect the kid is a red herring. Varys has helped hide this boy. We know from the other books that Varys detests magic, and wants it destroyed in the GOT world. Dani obviously has magical powers because she can control the dragons, and that makes her the "true" Targarean. Varys has always held the boy in reserve. Was it because he feared Dani or her older brother would have the power to harness magic, and he needed someone with a better "claim" to the throne that he could control? Just my musings.

My opinion on Jon Snow is that he is not dead as in dead and buried. The Red Witch has either caste a spell on him to prevent him being killed or she can ressusitate him. Why is Jon Snow so important? Because Dani has three dragons, and therefore needs three dragon riders. Jon Snow will be one of those dragon riders. Jon Snow is not Eddard Starks SON, but he is Eddard Stark's BLOOD. I suspect he is the son of Eddard Stark's sister and Prince Rhaegor, Dani's older brother and heir to the throne before he was killed. Jon has been passed off as Eddard's bastard to protect the boy from those who hunt down Targereans. He can control his wolf, and that may imply he could control another animal from his father's inheritance. Of course, if Jon is the 2nd rider, is the boy spoken of above not a red herring at all but a potential third rider? But if he was, I imagine Varys would kill him to prevent him exercising any magic.

I really feel that Varys's need to destroy magic informs every bit of the way he plays the game.

My opinion on Jon Snow is that he is not dead as in dead and buried. The Red Witch has either caste a spell on him to prevent him being killed or she can ressusitate him. Why is Jon Snow so important? Because Dani has three dragons, and therefore needs three dragon riders. Jon Snow will be one of those dragon riders. Jon Snow is not Eddard Starks SON, but he is Eddard Stark's BLOOD. I suspect he is the son of Eddard Stark's sister and Prince Rhaegor, Dani's older brother and heir to the throne before he was killed. Jon has been passed off as Eddard's bastard to protect the boy from those who hunt down Targereans. He can control his wolf, and that may imply he could control another animal from his father's inheritance. Of course, if Jon is the 2nd rider, is the boy spoken of above not a red herring at all but a potential third rider? But if he was, I imagine Varys would kill him to prevent him exercising any magic.

I really feel that Varys's need to destroy magic informs every bit of the way he plays the game.

Wow. I spent all of my Saturday night reading essays on line about this theory. And it really makes sense! How Lyanna made Ned promise something before she died, how she was found bloodied and fevered in bed, etc etc. Ned obviously took the secret of Jon's parentage to the grave, and clearly neither Catelyn or Robert knew who his Mother/parents were.

Intriguing.

Wow. I spent all of my Saturday night reading essays on line about this theory. And it really makes sense! How Lyanna made Ned promise something before she died, how she was found bloodied and fevered in bed, etc etc. Ned obviously took the secret of Jon's parentage to the grave, and clearly neither Catelyn or Robert knew who his Mother/parents were.

Intriguing.

I definitely subscribe to this theory. It just makes so much sense, particularly upon rereading the books. If it is true, I really want to know how Martin is planning on revealing it since there are only a few characters left who know the truth and none of them are near Jon right now.

I definitely subscribe to this theory. It just makes so much sense, particularly upon rereading the books. If it is true, I really want to know how Martin is planning on revealing it since there are only a few characters left who know the truth and none of them are near Jon right now.

Where was Varys during the war? I'm sure if anyone knew, he did. I can't think of anyone else Ned would have told his secret too. Maybe Benjen knew/knows? Maybe Jon Arryn knew?

That would make him Daenarys' nephew, correct?

Can't wait to find out if we're right or not.

Where was Varys during the war? I'm sure if anyone knew, he did. I can't think of anyone else Ned would have told his secret too. Maybe Benjen knew/knows? Maybe Jon Arryn knew?

That would make him Daenarys' nephew, correct?

Can't wait to find out if we're right or not.

I don't remember where Varys was, but I do remember that there was one survivor from the Tower of Joy who would know whether or not it is true.

He would be Dany's' nephew if it is true.

I wonder how many years we'll have to wait to find out.

I have a Benjen Stark question. What do you guys think, dead or not dead? In the last book I almost thought he was the White Walker helping Bran reach his "teacher" but I got the hint of an allusion that this White Walker was dead long before Benjen Stark was born. Not sure though. What say you?

Archived