IGNORED

Jacinda

Bazinga

So I believe Jacinda from Growing Home has been discussed before, but I apologize if this has already been hashed out. As you can see this is my first post. :)

So I have been following Jacinda's making home series, and today's post on naive homeschoolers annoyed me so much I had to say something.

1. Who would ask a 4 year old why they aren't in school? Seriously! Most children in my area don't begin kindergarten until they are 5, with some being closer to 6 depending on when their birthday falls before the start of school. Some children in this area go to preschool, but many don't. Unless she is a rather big 4 year old, I really do raise my eyebrow at this.

2. Why does this lady have a book out (well ebook) on homeschooling? Her oldest is 4!!! What sort of quality advice is she giving to other mothers? There are obviously much more veteran mothers that have been homeschooling for years. This gal hasn't even started a rigorous curriculum yet (By rigorous I mean something other then reading stories and copying letters. Actually teaching math, reading, writing, social students, and even fundy style science).

I just find it hilarious that someone would spend $5 on this. Sigh.

Ok, rant over.

Nice to meet you all!

I can attest to the fact that random idiots do occasionally ask 4 year olds why they aren't in school but that entire convo reads very fake to me. I don't believe it happened. She's daydreaming about her homeschooling future.

I'm nowhere near a fundie but I have no idea what half that crap like "pushing pennies" is. Do I get to pat myself on the back for being more naive than Jacinda now? :D

I wonder if she knows "growing home" brings up wicked hydroponic grow systems in google....

People will occasionally ask why a 4 year old isn't in school- but only because they think they're looking at a 5-6 year old.

As for giving homeschooling advice when you haven't homeschooled, ha! That's like people who've never raised kids who give child rearing advice, or, better yet, criticize someone else's child's behavior.

When you've wrangled a toddler in the nudity phase through Walmart, get back to me. (If you have done so, you know she stripped off her clothes in the 5 seconds it took me to select frozen veggies and ran down the aisle away from me.)

I don't understand how they could keep kids from asking about Halloween. Even if they shelter them from all media, if they go out in their neighborhood, or to a store, wouldn't they see the decorations and ask? Ghosts and jack o lanterns and statues of monsters are pretty noticeable, what kind of kid wouldn't wonder what was going on?

I homeschooled for one year, my kids were 1st and 4th grade. And I have degrees in early childhood education and elementary education. Maybe I should write a book too? Lol

Her schedule is insanely rigid. I definitely don't stick to something that is so inflexible. Shit happens. Like last month when half my state was under water and there was no school for a week and we went from six people to twelve in our house for five days.

I hate when people ask my four year old about school. I reply "she's four." Then they want to know where she goes to preschool. Uh, nowhere. I'm more than qualified to read books, teach her to count, and teach her letters. Preschool is expensive around here, and we do just fine at home.

We only have half day kindergarten around here, so plenty of five and six year olds are out with parents during the day.

I'm not sure how I feel about her blog, I've never seen it before.

It appears to be common in the world of fundies to give advice on life experiences they hope to have, but have not yet had. The Botkins on dating/courting/whatever comes to mind; there are a number of blogs out there where the unwed young lady rambles on about homemaking, marriage, babies, homeschooling, etc. without the benefit of experience. It's good for lulz. Welcome to the world of commenting!!

My almost 4 year old gets asked about school a lot, but my state has a subsidized PreK4 with a really generous voucher system, so a LOT of kids her level (she's very articulate) are in preschool already.

I just went to look at her schedule, and I'm confused as to what's particularly rigid about it? Her four year old has 75 minutes worth of dedicated "school" work per day, plus reading and crafts. It actually looks a lot like what my day is like.. or maybe what I wish it was like. I'm schedule-phobic because I have this weird thinking that THE WORLD WILL END if I screw up one part of it, but I didn't really get that vibe from her.

We have discussed Jacinda before. See topics:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17676&hilit=jacinda

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17596&hilit=jacinda

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14685&hilit=jacinda

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14348&p=442487&hilit=jacinda#p442487

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11023&p=309403&hilit=jacinda#p309400

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9683&p=265238&hilit=jacinda#p264815

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9647&p=263871&hilit=jacinda#p263790

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7407&hilit=jacinda

Most of her posts are the how-to's of homemaking, heavily steeped with religion, patriarchy, and other such pleasantries. But, she can post the most vile, hateful diatribes I've ever read. She was first brought to the attention of FJ for wondering whether her sick 1 year old daughter was trying to manipulate her. The first two threads about her are here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=442&hilit=jacinda

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=474&hilit=jacinda

I guess it just feels rigid in my brain because I have older kids (and public schoolers) and it never works to have that kind of schedule. Doctors appt here, concert there, parent teacher conferences, field trip, whatever. It never works. If she can pull it off, more power to her I suppose. Maybe I just like randomly deciding to go to a park or something.

yeah, you want to like Jacinda but then you read how her daughter isn't allowed to get earrings unless her husband says so and how her husband just couldn't be bothered to get up and help with the kids on Mother's Day.

I myself enjoy when she rails against the ACA when she has benefitted from the Canadian health care system. She almost DIED with her last pregnancy, her daughter was 6 weeks early and she has had four pregnancies in 4 years, one ending in miscarriage. So yeah, she is pretty despicable behind the braids, skirts and holistic homemaking bs.

What always bugs me the most about her is one photo she posted. I guess I could be reading too much into it, but in the photo she is sitting at her husband's feet with their daughter in her lap, and hubby is standing behind her carrying their son. I always read into that picture that the males of the family, including the infant son, are ranked above the females, even mom.

Her latest post on homeschooling made me want to do this :angry-banghead:

I am pretty sure that poor cashier was not trying to make a scene. By the questions she asked she was probably just curious and trying to be nice. Of course, Jacinda takes everything as a personal attack.

Also, for all her talk about the real world, I am pretty sure she doesn't have a clue what the real world is like. She knows the Christian bubble world she lives in - and relies on right wing propaganda (i.e.. Faux News, Vision Forum, etc) to tell her what the rest of the world outside her bubble is like.

I will say it does get annoying to have everyone ask you constantly, "Oh, day off?" or "Oh, half day of school today?" It's just grating on my nerves right now, because I swear we have been asked that more times in the past 2 weeks than we have in our almost 5 years of homeschooling combined. I don't consider it an attack, but an annoyance definitely. And then they always ask, what grade are you in? And he looks at me, lost. He should know what grade he is in because he had been e-schooled, but he just freezes and says 3 different grades. Honestly, that's true because we are working at different levels on different subjects because of his learning disabilities, but the grocery store checker doesn't need the whole schpiel! lol

Lissa - We don't have a real set schedule, either. I usually just pick a subject that seems to fit his mood at the moment. We'll usually start out with some sort of book work, move on to something more "fun" (I just got him a book with lots of creative writing prompts, HUGE 300+ number dot-to-dots, etc.), then when he gets sick of "school" I'll tell him to go "play" on the computer....aka one of his educational sites like Sumdog or MobyMax. If my grandparents call one day to go to the park, we're free to do it, though, since we're not on a set schedule. I move heaven and earth to make sure my kids get to spend every second with my grandparents that they can. That's my only regret to having my other kids in public school now...they are missing those memories.

Welcome to commenting! :)

I will definitely be checking out this blog.

OK, what is penny pushing? Swirlies? Nature wedgies? Am I naive, or maybe I'm just old and totally clueless. But I know how to google and I'm off to do that now.

What always bugs me the most about her is one photo she posted. I guess I could be reading too much into it, but in the photo she is sitting at her husband's feet with their daughter in her lap, and hubby is standing behind her carrying their son. I always read into that picture that the males of the family, including the infant son, are ranked above the females, even mom.

The current photo shows her husband rather awkwardly holding the baby girl, the older daughter between the parents, and the little boy with a WTF look on his face. The husband looks rather uncomfortable.

yeah, you want to like Jacinda but then you read how her daughter isn't allowed to get earrings unless her husband says so and how her husband just couldn't be bothered to get up and help with the kids on Mother's Day.

I myself enjoy when she rails against the ACA when she has benefitted from the Canadian health care system. She almost DIED with her last pregnancy, her daughter was 6 weeks early and she has had four pregnancies in 4 years, one ending in miscarriage. So yeah, she is pretty despicable behind the braids, skirts and holistic homemaking bs.

I'm just reading about the birth experience now. She must have Rh incompatability too as she gets rhogam injections. It's only a question of time before she has a worse outcome if she continues with the pregnancies.

"We homeschool them," I confirmed.

Let's look at this. "We" homeschool "them." What she should have said was "I" homeschool "her," since she is only teaching one child (at least, that's how it sounds). Stabby? Yeah, I'm feeling pretty stabby these days, but if she's going to be the sole educator for her children, she should have a decent command of language arts.

I don't understand how they could keep kids from asking about Halloween. Even if they shelter them from all media, if they go out in their neighborhood, or to a store, wouldn't they see the decorations and ask? Ghosts and jack o lanterns and statues of monsters are pretty noticeable, what kind of kid wouldn't wonder what was going on?

There's a large Orthodox Jewish presence in my hometown and I've had to explain Jewish holidays to my niece. She noticed even though we're not Jewish and Jewish holidays overall aren't spectacles (at least in the US). Certainly not like Halloween or Christmas. So if my niece noticed Purim and Rosh Hoshannah, I'm guessing any child with eyes would notice Halloween, no matter how hard you tried to shield them.

Beyond that, so what? I just explained the celebration and moved on. There's no big deal to it.

Archived