IGNORED

Bates Wedding: 800 Invitations and Counting/Pirate MERGE

Some pirate dude visited the Bates to take Christmas catalog pictures.

So, tell me, why is it OK for fundie kids to like a pirate but not Halloween. Real pirates from history were pretty nasty dudes. They drank to excess, stole, fought, murdered, and probably never cracked open a bible. Note exactly the best role models.

So it's "ok" to "turn" a pirate around and "rewrite" their history, but no do so with Halloween or like???? They don't celebrate Easter because of it's "pagan" roots.

:angry-tappingfoot:

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nokidsmom

• NotALoserLikeYou

• fullmetalheart

• Rescinded and Mended

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

800 guests? :o Im guessing every person in all of the families she is inviting, even the toddlers, not just writing things like "Michelle and JimBob Duggar and family". Which makes no sense at all, as

Josh Duggar is hard at work in DC. Just kidding, he just posted a pic of the "welcome to Tennessee" sign.

Posted Images

PennySycamore

Was it Patch the Pirate that visited the Bateses? Patch is well known in fundie circles. Patch is Rom Hamilton who lost an eye and needed to wear an eye patch. His family was very involved in the fundie music scene in Greenville so he decided to make a living at playing this Patch character.

erunerune

I have nothing to add except I wish a pirate would visit my house.

fullmetalheart

We sail with Patch the Pirate across the ocean blue! We love to please our Saviour in all we say and do! We serve the King of Heaven and proudly bear his sword! We sail with Patch the Pirate! TO THE GLORY OF THE LO-ORD!

My church had a Patch the Pirate Club. I was Super Sailor of the Year in 2nd grade, guys. SUPER SAILOR OF THE YEAR. I'm sure it means something awesome in fundie circles. This was at what I'd call a fundie lite church.

I'm not sure what's wrong with Halloween. I know my mom banned it because "Jesus wouldn't go door to door beginning for candy." So, there you have it. Jesus hates candy, clearly. ;)

FloraKitty35

The pirate worship on the part of the fundies makes no mention of Mary Read or Ann Bonny.

Mela99

I got excited because I thought it said 'Patchy the Pirate' and thought maybe they were allowed to watch Spongebob...

...then felt sad that my mind immediately went to cartoons. :embarrassed:

I got excited because I thought it said 'Patchy the Pirate' and thought maybe they were allowed to watch Spongebob...

...then felt sad that my mind immediately went to cartoons. :embarrassed:

Absolutely nothing to feel sad nor embarrassed about. Cartoons are great.

(Besides, I thought the op was talking about Patchy the Pirate too).

Some pirate dude visited the Bates to take Christmas catalog pictures.

So, tell me, why is it OK for fundie kids to like a pirate but not Halloween. Real pirates from history were pretty nasty dudes. They drank to excess, stole, fought, murdered, and probably never cracked open a bible. Note exactly the best role models.

So it's "ok" to "turn" a pirate around and "rewrite" their history, but no do so with Halloween or like???? They don't celebrate Easter because of it's "pagan" roots.

Actually, there WAS a pirate who cracked open his bible every Sunday: Black Bart. He was a Yorkshire-born navigator taken from his ship by a band of pirates for his navigational abilities. When the group's captain died, Bart was elected captain. His refusal to cuss and insistence on holding services every Sunday was excused by his peers because of his success as a freebooter. IIRC, Bart died in battle during a fight between his crew and British naval forces.

Black Aliss
Real pirates from history were pretty nasty dudes. They drank to excess, stole, fought, murdered, and probably never cracked open a bible. Note exactly the best role models.

What, Jesus didn't say "Take all you can, give nothing back! arrrrrr."? The pirates' creed isn't all that different from our modern-day radical Christianists.

browngrl

I got all excited when I heard a pirate had visited the Bates. "Ramen! It is about time the Bates heard about His Noodly Goodness" I thought. Finally someone from the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster had come "soul winning". Sadly this was not the case. Arrgh.

marmalade

Nope. It was indeed Patch, because JESUS!

Zach looks like he's lost 30 lbs. Good for him.

I wonder if Erin is going to still sleep in curlers once she has that hot man in her bed. For some reason, I think those things will be replaced by a barrel roller tout suite.

Someone send her a corset and garter belt! And a whip. :lol:

freedomjesusfootball

Off topic, but I think I have found the pinterest account for Miss Erin Elise Bates.

http://www.pinterest.com/elisebates/

If the wedding is full of burlap and blue hydrangeas, I will claim a win.

I would be more ashamed of my digging if I weren't stuck on my sofa right now with some hell-virus.

Jesus hates candy, clearly. ;)

Also Girl Scout cookies (see other thread). Jesus is no fun. But he has no cavities!

freethemall
It is weird that Chad is not in the pics. I guess he represents the Paine's.

Someone pointed this out in the comments - if you look behind the woman's head on the left in the last picture you can see Chad is hiding behind there.

freethemall
Off topic, but I think I have found the pinterest account for Miss Erin Elise Bates.

http://www.pinterest.com/elisebates/

If the wedding is full of burlap and blue hydrangeas, I will claim a win.

I would be more ashamed of my digging if I weren't stuck on my sofa right now with some hell-virus.

Sorry, you didn't find this, it's been posted before as have Alyssa and Whitney's Pinterests.

freedomjesusfootball

Sorry, you didn't find this, it's been posted before as have Alyssa and Whitney's Pinterests.

Dang. I had seen Alyssa and Whitney but missed Erin's. Carry on.

HereticHick

Did you see that Kelly just said in a comment that Erin mailed out EIGHT HUNDRED wedding invitations. Damn girl! This wedding better be epic. Maybe every fundy child gets their own invite. (maybe the fetuses in heaven do too?)

-----------------------------------------

Amy October 23, 2013 at 1:54 am

How are the wedding plans for Erin and Chad coming along? How many people do you expect to come? Who will sing the music for their wedding? Praying for you and your family!

Kelly October 24, 2013 at 4:14 am

Dear Amy,

Getting soooooooooo close!!!! Hmmm……not sure what to expect for attendance; there was no RSVP… She mailed 800 invitations…lol! Chad and Erin are singing and Rachel Leftwhich. Love, Kelly

ILoveJellybeans

800 guests? :o Im guessing every person in all of the families she is inviting, even the toddlers, not just writing things like "Michelle and JimBob Duggar and family". Which makes no sense at all, as I imagine it would cost a lot to mail all of those invitations when inviting so many people, compared to the probably around 100 it would take to invite each family (with maybe a seperate invitation for adults still living at home).

• Upvote 1

800 is just a gift grab. I doubt she mailed one to each adult. I wonder how many the church holds? As for the reception, it's probably punch and cake. The more people that come, the smaller the pieces.

FeministShrew

No RSVP? With 800 invitations? Are they inviting all those people to the reception with no way of knowing how many will actually show up? Even with a typical fundie (for my area) cake, mints & punch reception in the church basement, that's a recipe for disaster.

HereticHick

If all she used was a first class stamp, that is $368 in postage!! [which is more than I paid for my wedding dress! : )]

Imagine if she had sent out more standard invitations (which generally require a more expensive stamp) w/ postage paid RSVP cards in them--she would have spent almost $1,000 in postage.

Even if you are just serving cake/punch, how on earth do you know how much to prepare if you don't know if 300 people are coming, or 600 people????

ILoveJellybeans

Thats a lot of postage. I think for that amount of money, I could put myself in a box with airholes and mail myself to their wedding.

fullmetalheart

Also Girl Scout cookies (see other thread). Jesus is no fun. But he has no cavities!

Why the hell am I going into the ministry, again? Jesus is no fun!