IGNORED

List of Unmarried Fundies

teachergirl

Ours are off white and almost round. Yup, they were marketed as almost round. They fit my husband's artistic taste. Unfortunately, they don't fit in the cabinet. The door won't close unless you turn the dishes exactly right so the semi flat end lines up with the doors. Every time I put dishes away, I have to twist and turn them all. I feel like I'm summoning Pinhead every time I do dishes. :pb_razz:

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, uber frau said:

Good Lord.  Everything is so much more complicated than it needs to be. So much navel gazing and over analysis.

Excuse me don't you know that you need to put the LORD in all caps??

At least Chad and Erin Paine admit that each thought the other was hot stuff, and the LORD had nothing to do with it.

PS So will she really go through with changing her name to "Sara-Kathryn"? What is up with that?  Is she just saying that she hates her name?

I think that shows a wee spark of chutzpah. Isn't your name one of Gothard's unchangables?*

Most of the fundies I know of would consider changing her first name without a good reason to be dishonouring your parents who gave it to you. I wonder if she'd get away with it if her chosen name wasn't in the Bible (and I do find it interesting (telling?) that she chose to leave her name until she was married,even though marriage was nothing more than a hypothetical possibility  at that point.)

*Although so is hair colour and I'm pretty sure Gothard and Trump share hair stylists.

12 hours ago, uber frau said:

I think that shows a wee spark of chutzpah. Isn't your name one of Gothard's unchangables?*

Most of the fundies I know of would consider changing her first name without a good reason to be dishonouring your parents who gave it to you. I wonder if she'd get away with it if her chosen name wasn't in the Bible (and I do find it interesting (telling?) that she chose to leave her name until she was married,even though marriage was nothing more than a hypothetical possibility  at that point.)

*Although so is hair colour and I'm pretty sure Gothard and Trump share hair stylists.

Poor "Anna Marie" Maxwell :pb_rollseyes:

On 5/15/2016 at 10:13 PM, uber frau said:

Didn't the Bateses have Michael's name changed? Or because the parents did is it considered okay by Gothard standards?

14 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Didn't the Bateses have Michael's name changed? Or because the parents did is it considered okay by Gothard standards?

They could add one letter for free so they changed her name from Michal to Michael. I guess Jesus told Grifter & BabyFactory that Michal was a name not worthy of their godliness. Michal was a badass Bibical lady!

Girl Michael didn't like the name Michael growing up because it was considered a male name. So, people started calling her Michaella  but her birth certificate says Michael. 

I don't see anything wrong with the name Michael for a female. Michael Learned, from The Waltons, is a famous female Michael. I had a female student with the middle name Michael to honor her uncle. 

I think the Bateseseseseses didn't know what to name their blessing & clearly didn't know how big of a badass Michal was. They must have missed that night of Bible Study to have sweet fellowship. 

52 minutes ago, divadivine said:

They could add one letter for free so they changed her name from Michal to Michael. I guess Jesus told Grifter & BabyFactory that Michal was a name not worthy of their godliness. Michal was a badass Bibical lady!

Which the bible-loving Bateses should have known before giving the name to their baby.  If they weren't quite sure, they should have checked.  And now they get piety points for having changed it.

11 hours ago, divadivine said:

Girl Michael didn't like the name Michael growing up because it was considered a male name. So, people started calling her Michaella  but her birth certificate says Michael. 

I don't see anything wrong with the name Michael for a female. Michael Learned, from The Waltons, is a famous female Michael. I had a female student with the middle name Michael to honor her uncle. 

I think the Bateseseseseses didn't know what to name their blessing & clearly didn't know how big of a badass Michal was. They must have missed that night of Bible Study to have sweet fellowship. 

I think that it was the badassery that killed the name. Michaela was about a year old when they changed her name, if I recall that correctly. It seems like Kelli insinuated in the past that they changed it because she and Gil became aware of Michal's role in the bible, and were uncomfortable with the association. (Duplicity, defying her father, being married off to multiple men, etc.) Why they didn't change it to Michala (that's one letter added, and no more worldly than Tori or Carlin) instead is beyond me. Michael is a fine name for any child, but the whole family has been weird about it since she was a little girl. I feel badly for her, because it's as if her identity was in flux until she was old enough to decide for herself. And since SHE chose "Michaela" for her wedding invitations and that "unity stump" they used at the wedding, that's what I've called her since.

I'm not savvy enough on the Batesesseseses family history to know when Gil had his Grifter's Revelation, so I'm not sure how religious they were when Michaela was born. It still seems bizarre to me that, with 9 months to pick a name, they couldn't be arsed to look up the name they actually picked to see if it suited them. 

Since we're at 34 pages, I created a new thread so it's easier to read along. Continuing on here! 

• FundieFarmer locked and unpinned this topic

Archived