IGNORED

"What Love is This" - Public Access Show on Polygamy

Quoted from the shows "About Us" page:

The format of Polygamy: What Love Is This? is a live, call-in talk show. Doris Hanson, the host, frequently brings guests onto the program to discuss a particular aspect of polygamy, Mormon Fundamentalism, and related topics. Some of these guests are, like Doris, former Fundamentalists, and share their stories. Others are able to speak on an area of expertise or experience about a particular facet of Mormon Fundamentalism. Doris has interviewed a number of authors and well-known researchers.

In each episode, Doris seeks to communicate the basic biblical gospel truth that salvation is through Jesus Christ, and faith in Him--and not through the practice of plural marriage, as is taught by the Mormon Fundamentalists. She also makes the services of A Shield and Refuge Ministry available to anyone who wants to escape a polygamist setting, or who simply wants to explore their options.

In addition, common themes are discussion of early Mormon doctrine and history; modern manifestations of the polygamous doctrine; discussion of polygamy in today's news; similarities and differences between the Fundamentalist Mormons and Mainstream (LDS) Mormons; biblical perspectives on polygamy; and lifestyle issues among the Fundamentalists sects today (abuse problems, common practices, etc.).

Viewers are encouraged to call in and ask questions and leave comments during the program. The call-in phone number is (801) 973-TV20 (that is, 801-973-8820).

The most recent episode is about Rachel (Kingston) Brown who fled polygamy. She then lost custody of children (three daughters) to her allegedly abusive husband. They live with their father and his wife and their six half siblings. Rachel says the children live in fear. During her custody battle Rachel could not afford an attorney.

I feel so sad for Rachel. I can't imagine how devastated she must feel. I hope she can get her children back.

You can watch the show here: whatloveisthis.tv/episodes/2013/ep636_yt.htm

(Previous episode featuring Rachel:

)

I've watched the show before and some episodes have been really good, interesting stories, told by people who could tell them well, but I'm not really keen on the host, Doris Hanson, she jumps on every opportunity to talk about herself, often cutting in, talking over her guests, twisting their words so they will fit to what ever topic pertaining to herself that she feels like talking about.

Maybe I'm a little biased as I was once intereviewed by them for a street-interview in which they ended up twisting my words so that it sounded like I was a mormon and that I was defending polygamy, neither is true.

I've watched the show before and some episodes have been really good, interesting stories, told by people who could tell them well, but I'm not really keen on the host, Doris Hanson, she jumps on every opportunity to talk about herself, often cutting in, talking over her guests, twisting their words so they will fit to what ever topic pertaining to herself that she feels like talking about.

Maybe I'm a little biased as I was once intereviewed by them for a street-interview in which they ended up twisting my words so that it sounded like I was a mormon and that I was defending polygamy, neither is true.

I agree with you about Doris. I am sorry you had such a poor experience with the show. :( I would be very upset to have my words twisted.

I decided to post the show here, mainly because I felt so sad for Rachel. Her story is heartbreaking.

Archived