IGNORED

Publishers refuse to include creationism in science textbook

doggie

Take that texas it is about time.

:drama: :banana-dance: :character-beavisbutthead:

http://www.examiner.com/article/texas-p ... -textbooks

In a victory for science education and the children of Texas, publishers are refusing to include creationism in science textbooks despite fierce pressure from conservative Christians.

The Texas Freedom Network, a nonpartisan watchdog, released a statement Thursday, Oct. 17, declaring “All 14 publishers are refusing to water down or compromise instruction on evolution and climate change in their proposed new high school biology textbooks.â€

The following is from a press release issued by the Texas Freedom Network announcing the news:

Materials submitted to the Texas Education Agency and examined by the Texas Freedom Network and university scientists show that publishers are resisting pressure to undermine instruction on evolution in their proposed new high school biology textbooks for public schools.

“This is a very welcome development for everyone who opposes teaching phony science about evolution in our kid’s public schools,†Texas Freedom Network President Kathy Miller said. “Texas parents can applaud these publishers for standing up to pressure from politicians and activists who want to put their personal beliefs ahead of giving Texas students a 21st-century science education.â€

Conservative Christians on the Texas State Board of Education have been attempting to insert religious superstition into science textbooks for years by attempting to smuggle into the Texas science curriculum materials supportive of Biblical Creationism, also known as Intelligent Design.

Science advocates argue Creationism, or Intelligent Design, is not a legitimate scientific alternative to the theory of evolution. Indeed, critics would claim Biblical creationism is a religious superstition that does real harm to America - a symptom of a willful ignorance and an anti-intellectualism that thwarts scientific progress at home and humiliates America abroad.

Lawrence Krauss, theoretical physicist, cosmologist, best-selling author and Science and Public Policy Advocate argues teaching children creationism as a legitimate scientific alternative to the theory of evolution is a form of child abuse. Many rational people agree with Krauss.

Science is the key to our future, and if you don’t believe in science, then you’re holding everybody back. And it’s fine if you as an adult want to run around pretending or claiming that you don’t believe in evolution, but if we educate a generation of people who don’t believe in science, that’s a recipe for disaster. ... The main idea in all of biology is evolution. To not teach it to our young people is wrong. - Bill Nye

To quote a line from Breaking Bad, "Yeah science!"

:clap: :clap: :cracking-up: :character-beavisbutthead: :happy-jumpeveryone::greetings-clappingyellow::music-rockon::text-bravo:

This is my response to the fundies who are upset. :pbbt:

I'm glad this happened and I bet at least one of the bloggers we discuss will whine about this.

Yep even though they would not send their snowflakes to public school.

Counting down for the whining to begin 5....4....3....

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Counting down for the whining to begin 5....4....3....

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I'm surprised you're giving 'em 5--I would've started at 3 or 2... :lol:

As a Texan: Yay!

Many rational-minded Texans (yes, there are a few of us :P ) have felt like we are held hostage by the arch-conservatives on the State Board of Education. Unfortunately, it's been difficult to get the loonies voted off the Board, so I am glad the publishers are standing firm against ignorance.

Even if you believe in creationism, even if it's true, you can't put it in a science textbook because it's not science. Why would any religious theories go in them?

Go science! :music-rockon:

Seriously, though, they publish science books for a living. I should hope they wouldn't cave to such bullshit.

:dance: :clap: :highfive: :fire-nanner: :banana-dance: :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-partydance:

I wish I didn't have to jump up and down and get all excited about something that just seems like common sense.

But I'm so glad they didn't cave.

And we need a scientist smiley.

:pray: and it shall be given.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're welcome.

As a Texan: Yay!

Many rational-minded Texans (yes, there are a few of us :P ) have felt like we are held hostage by the arch-conservatives on the State Board of Education. Unfortunately, it's been difficult to get the loonies voted off the Board, so I am glad the publishers are standing firm against ignorance.

I'm right here (in Austin) with ya on that! :greetings-wavingyellow:

Archived