IGNORED

Advice for Mormon mission girls in Brazil

snarkbillie

You can't buy tampons in Brazil and you can't say tampon if you're Mormon, apparently.

Pretty sure she's talking about tampons though.

Is it more likely that she just didn't go to the right shops? As I've travelled I've found that there are products you buy in a supermarket in Australia that you buy in a pharmacy in other countries. A medication I use that requires a prescription here I bought over the counter in Europe.

There you go. She needed to go to large supermarkets or large pharmacies according to a friend who used to live in Brazil and visits there regularly. She said for some reason there is very limited selection and tampons are much higher priced there than in the US.

I think it is good advice to just stock up before you go. Brands are different and when you really need them and you're new to the country you probably don't want to go through the trouble of having to find them and purchase them in a foreign country and in a new language.

Or buy a menstrual cup! I am never going back from mine.

But if you use a menstrual cup, you have to really touch yourself "down there"! :o

But if you use a menstrual cup, you have to really touch yourself "down there"! :o

But don't you have to do so even with tampons?

Anyway, is it just me or it doesn't seem so terrible to survive a few months with pads and spray deodorant? (admittedly I use pads).

But don't you have to do so even with tampons?

Anyway, is it just me or it doesn't seem so terrible to survive a few months with pads and spray deodorant? (admittedly I use pads).

Not all people CAN use Pads. For reasons I don't feel like posting, I can't. If my cup is not available, it has to be tampons.

Sister missionaries in foreign countries do not to the same work as men. Sister missionaries in general do service projects and do not do the door to door typical missionary work that we think of when of LDS missionaries. There are several girls from my neighborhood in mission in central and south America. A lot of times they have been assigned not to big cities but working on rural area service projects for many months. I think they are just trying to make other girls aware of what might happen so they can pack correctly or have their parents be aware. I can't imagine getting 2 small suitcases for 18 months & having so many different clothing and other needs between church formal and digging water wells.

All the sister missionary pairs I've met (in mid-size cities in three different countries, including an African country) were doing the same missionary stuff as the elders. I know they don't send women to the most dangerous missions, though.

The sister missionaries do exactly the same work as the elders. The only difference being in task that can only be performed by "priesthoodholders", since only men can hold the "priesthood", so you won't see a sister baptising or giving a blessing, other than that they teach, knock on doors, do service jobs, sing in the streets, everything the guys do.

About the video, "tampon" is a dirty word now? :?

It appears to be some kind of official LDS Mission-channel, it seems weird that they would choose such an awkward girl, most LDS people I've known have been very good at public speaking, maybe because of the are used to delivering sermons and testemonies from a young age and allthough old-fashioned and "purity-oriented", not prudish at all.

• 8 months later...

Not all people CAN use Pads. For reasons I don't feel like posting, I can't. If my cup is not available, it has to be tampons.

Sorry for bumping up such an old post... but I'm genuinely curious and hope someone else can answer this question - Why can't some people wear pads?

Video TL;DR - bring your own sunscreen and "feminine products" because they either don't have it or it's so expensive it's cheaper to ship it in from the states. Why couldn't she have just said that instead of droning on? She had to have known she was going to be asked these types of questions.

Sorry for bumping up such an old post... but I'm genuinely curious and hope someone else can answer this question - Why can't some people wear pads?

Video TL;DR - bring your own sunscreen and "feminine products" because they either don't have it or it's so expensive it's cheaper to ship it in from the states. Why couldn't she have just said that instead of droning on? She had to have known she was going to be asked these types of questions.

For me pads can't keep up with the flow, it's just too heavy. I end up with blood all over because the pad can't absorb it fast enough, especially at night and it can't handle the clots.

For me pads can't keep up with the flow, it's just too heavy. I end up with blood all over because the pad can't absorb it fast enough, especially at night and it can't handle the clots.

**potential TMI alert** Before I had my ablation I had that problem. I never thought of wearing a tampon as a solution because they caused me more pain, and I'd soak through tampons as well.

Archived