IGNORED

Teri Maxwell embarrasses/insults me

MamaJunebug

No wonder there are earthquakes, airplane crashes, murders, nuclear disasters, famine - god is too busy answering the petty prayers of people like the Maxwells.

Yes like this one (Fundies say the darndest things)

I was on a ladies' committee at a church...at the time we would have no more than 60 lady's come to our meetings. We decided to have cheesecakes for one of the meetings. I did the calling for the cakes, saw the number and divided them to be served. Why we thought at the time, each lady would take one piece only I don't know. This had to be over 15 years ago now.

The lines came to the table and we saw ladies taking 2-3 pieces each and thought what are we going to do there is just not going to be enough to go around. Well there was and many pieces left over......and all ladies were in the line.

All ladies on the committee agreed without a doubt the cheesecake was multipied, there was just no other way there was pieces left over. We still talk about that night.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand it either, and its not limited to fundies. Catholics have this mindset too. My sister told me she'd been praying for a baby and got pregnant with my nephew soon after, so prayers work and God provides us with what we want (apparently indiscriminatorily, be it child or phone cover). I told her I've been praying for a husband/ family for ten years and here I am, still single. She told me it's all in God's time. Which made me point out that if it was "God's time" for her to get PG, then her prayer was unnecessary and he technically didn't answer her prayer if he was doing things in his own time and it was ging to happen then anyway. She got annoyed and thus ended the conversation. But this is something that really confuses me...

It's magical rationalization. Definitely not limited to fundies (or traditional religion either).

You have a belief, you see events, you create a narrative where the events confirm your belief. So if your loved ones die in the disaster, God has called them home early for a purpose because they are specially worthy and needed in heaven, if they survive, God is miraculous and saved them because they are specially worthy. Etc.

Same exact process can be seen in tons of diet claims.

One of the dumbest examples of "I prayed, god answered" that I remember (although the cell phone prayer could usurp its run at first place) was something I read on a Weight Watchers forum. They used to have a board called "Inspiration Soup," which was originally intended to be people posting inspirational comments for other WWers until it was taken over by fundies. Anyway, this woman posted about how she was home one day and got a sudden craving for one of thse enormous metal tubs of kettle corn. Not a small bag, mind you, but those big honkin' tubs that you always see in discount stores around holiday season. She knew she shouldn't really have it so the entire time she dressed, got into the car, drove 15 miles to Walmart (of course), drove around looking for a parking spot right up front (god gave her that too), she was praying that god would save her from herself. And HALLELUJAH! She walked into the store and THEY WERE SOLD OUT OF BIG HONKIN TUBS OF KETTLE CORN! GOD HEARD HER PRAYERS! JESUS SAVES!

Seriously? Jesus/god had to wait until you got to the store? They couldn't have heard you beforehand? Or just put it on your heart to say NO! and shut your big, fat mouth? Yeah, while you were driving to Walmart like a maniac, Jesus/god caused a stampede of people who desperately needed kettle corn to storm the store and buy them out JUST TO SAVE YOUR SOUL. Of course, everyone else was SOL because you were god's speshul snowflake, but apparently they weren't as important as you so who cares, right?

I swear, my eyes rolled so far back into my head that I practically needed surgery to retrieve them. Is there NO personality accountability in fundie land?

This story is so amazeballs I c&p'd and emailed to a couple friends. OMG Jesus saved her from kettle korn LOL? I don't even know where to begin.

I used to be active on the WW boards but there is a lot of crazy in there. I don't know if it is the food deprivation or if the crazies take over the loony bin on that board.

Well damn, I want to smoke some weed, so I'll start praying. It's legal in my state, so it won't be breaking the law. I just need to know where to find it!

Well damn, I want to smoke some weed, so I'll start praying. It's legal in my state, so it won't be breaking the law. I just need to know where to find it!

Pray for direction (directions to the location you need to go find it, of course).

I'm going to pray about winning the lottery tonight. Just a few million no biggie.

I feel you should also pray for this for me my dear FJ' ers. If T can get a new phonecase I'm in with a good chance with your help 8-)

Oh ye of little faith, Raquel got her horse & Teri got her cellphone case. What more proof of fundy-god's existence & omnipotence can you possibly need?

I'm going to pray about winning the lottery tonight. Just a few million no biggie.

I feel you should also pray for this for me my dear FJ' ers. If T can get a new phonecase I'm in with a good chance with your help 8-)

No no no! That would be a selfish prayer and Gawd wouldn't answer it.

Instead, pray for me to win the lottery. I will, in turn, pray for you to win it. Total unselfishness.

(we'll split it either way, ok?)

No no no! That would be a selfish prayer and Gawd wouldn't answer it.

Instead, pray for me to win the lottery. I will, in turn, pray for you to win it. Total unselfishness.

(we'll split it either way, ok?)

Sounds like a great deal, throw in a quick prayer for my lapse and selfishness and also that the rain holds off to dry my bedding and that my next day delivery new boots arrive as I need them for tonight, OH and that Mr OK cleans up the absolute fecking devastation Miss OK has just made in my kitchen making ....chocolate something. Also that my Blu-ray player fixes itself and that my i-phone charger turns up. I would add in a phone case but Amazon is more up to date than the almighty. IF you are feeling a spare prayer coming on you could always try one of the lesser things like I dunno World Peace, end of child poverty etc. Not a must though 8-)

The multiplying of the cheesecake is my favorite. But Jesus did it with loaves and fish so why not?

I'm going to a party later today. Promised to bring 3 dozen meatballs. But I'm just making one and praying it will multiply in the crock pot. And if it doesn't, its no doubt because my friend is a pagan non-believer.

I just finally got past level 107 on Candy Crush, after being stuck on it for nearly a week. Clearly the Lord was with me. :dance:

coffee-with-jesus-gods-will.png?w=562

When I believed in god I would pray for things along the lines of cell phone cases and parking spots. I no longer pray but good things (coincidences) still happen in my life.

As for people starving in the world etc., it is because of their own fault or because of satanic oppression. The reasons very right along with whatever dogma the Christian believes.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason people are starving is because we do nothing. It is everyone's job to take care of each other. Kinda hard to do that when you live in an insular kingdom like the Maxwells.

When I believed in god I would pray for things along the lines of cell phone cases and parking spots. I no longer pray but good things (coincidences) still happen in my life.

As for people starving in the world etc., it is because of their own fault or because of satanic oppression. The reasons very right along with whatever dogma the Christian believes.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason people are starving is because we do nothing. It is everyone's job to take care of each other. Kinda hard to do that when you live in an insular kingdom like the Maxwells.

Just curious what people here on FJ do to take care of others?

I, for example, sponsor 3 children monthly with Compassion International and annually support Samaritan's Purse Christmas Shoe Boxes. These are both Christian organization's...I'm sure there are many secular choices. We also support various local charities, secular and christian. I usually only donate to 4 star rated organizations on Charity Navigator http://www.charitynavigator.org/ I would encourage everyone to read the tips on this site. We routinely donate 12-15% of our annual income.

I, for example, sponsor 3 children monthly with Compassion International and annually support Samaritan's Purse Christmas Shoe Boxes. These are both Christian organization's...I'm sure there are many secular choices. We also support various local charities, secular and christian. I usually only donate to 4 star rated organizations on Charity Navigator http://www.charitynavigator.org/ I would encourage everyone to read the tips on this site. We routinely donate 12-15% of our annual income.

Charity is done in silence and with discretion.

That's wonderful, but if you're a Christian, please read Matthew 6:1-4.

I apologize for my generalization. It was a mistake. I didn't have time to go back and fix it.

When I wrote "we" I meant as a whole in the world. If the peoples of the world. It was never, ever meant to be an attack on anyone. I'm uneducated but I'm not mean.

That's wonderful, but if you're a Christian, please read Matthew 6:1-4.

I am a Christian...and I did think about it before posting my charitable giving. I elected to do so on an anonymous chat board for one primary reason...as I read the opinions of others who post here, I often wonder if this is just a place to complain about what other people do, or if it is a place where people can be encouraged to make a difference. Our giving is never something we talk about in public...and I wrongly thought this would be an OK place to mention it. I was wrong.... :embarrassed:

I am a Christian...and I did think about it before posting my charitable giving. I elected to do so on an anonymous chat board for one primary reason...as I read the opinions of others who post here, I often wonder if this is just a place to complain about what other people do, or if it is a place where people can be encouraged to make a difference. Our giving is never something we talk about in public...and I wrongly thought this would be an OK place to mention it. I was wrong.... :embarrassed:

What you said kind of came across as "Look what I'm doing, what are YOU doing?". A touch boastful and a touch judgy maybe?

Why do you have the urge to encourage people to make a difference? You are curious about what we are doing to 'make this difference', well I can be brief about that, that's none of your christian business.

Well fuck you all. I did not win the lottery and that is pure shit.

Sometimes, God says "No".

Sometimes, God says "No".

He needs to do it more often to dafty halfwits who want phone-cases and ruin their kids chance at an autonomous life. BUT no he said no to me about a few million..git. Dude needs to get his shit right. :lol:

Well fuck you all. I did not win the lottery and that is pure shit.

You didn't pray for it hard enough or with the proper words. God heard you, but it sounded like to him it was more like a wish. You need to take a class in Christianese and be ready for next time.

Archived