IGNORED

Teri Maxwell embarrasses/insults me

MamaJunebug

She wanted a new cell phone case. Had a long talk with herself about how to delay her desire by prayer.

Presto oopsie, Sarah finds a case that will fit and give it to her mom, as Sarah "is not going to use it." (Teri will not put up with contractions in her home.)

Then she wrote about how if we just pray enough, eventually God will be trained to answer our prayers. Ok, ok, she doesn't say that exactly. But she's teaching that an answered prayer is a granted prayer. That's not true, as any Christian knows - or should have been taught.

Infuriated. Embarassed. Frustrated that her and Steve's fans are lapping up this confusion as gospel [sic] truth.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She wanted a new cell phone case. Had a long talk with herself about how to delay her desire by prayer.

Presto oopsie, Sarah finds a case that will fit and give it to her mom, as Sarah "is not going to use it." (Teri will not put up with contractions in her home.)

Then she wrote about how if we just pray enough, eventually God will be trained to answer our prayers. Ok, ok, she doesn't say that exactly. But she's teaching that an answered prayer is a granted prayer. That's not true, as any Christian knows - or should have been taught.

Infuriated. Embarassed. Frustrated that her and Steve's fans are lapping up this confusion as gospel [sic] truth.

I'm a lapsed 'ebil Catholic' and I was taught you don't pray for things you want (those come with hard work) you pray for thanks, forgiveness ...and it's ok to pray for world peace and ending suffering etc...health of others..not personal wants.

I'm new to this Fundie thing, but it seems they create their own version or Christianity to suit their own needs....oh wait..that every religion/religious group EVER

I hate how fundies think of God as a prayer vending machine.

Why would God get Teri a new cell phone case, or help a fundie find the perfect material for a new frumper, or let them find a parking space on a busy day, but not answer more urgent prayers? God must be some sort of sociopath if he grants silly requests for some people, but there are other people who are praying that their cancer will be cured, or that they will get the job that will allow them to have enough money to feed their starving children, or pray that a dying relative will live, who dont get their prayers answered.

Why don't they just put on the hair shirts and have done with it? Is there NOTHING in their lives that isn't fraught with drama? No want that isn't considered an ungodly desire? Fucking A, it's a CELL PHONE CASE. A lousy cell phone case. Wanting a new one IS NOT A SIN!

Honestly, WTF are they trying to prove? He who leads the most miserable life wins?

Just shoot me now.

Ugh, I hate that 'God as Santa Claus' idea that fundies seem to have.

It's such an insult to people with real problems.

Does Teri ever question why the same God that gave her a case for her phone decided her first granddaughter would not live?

Why would you want to worship a being like that?

When did God become a candidate for obedience school?

My question is, why did Sarah have an extra cell phone case to begin with?

and my question is: why do they need cell phone for, since they have no friends outside the family, no social life and have limited internet access ? :lol:

I'm a lapsed 'ebil Catholic' and I was taught you don't pray for things you want (those come with hard work) you pray for thanks, forgiveness ...and it's ok to pray for world peace and ending suffering etc...health of others..not personal wants.

I'm new to this Fundie thing, but it seems they create their own version or Christianity to suit their own needs....oh wait..that every religion/religious group EVER

Even if I wasn't an atheist. I would seriously question that idea that one can train god as one could train a chihuahua. :roll:

If I were God (if he exists) I would be headdesking every time one of the Maxwells' trivial prayers popped up on the prayer chain/email/CB radio/pony express/whatever he uses. It has to be frustrating these people can't be bothered to use the damn brain he provided them to solve their problems or make a decision. It would be so tempting to smite Stevehovah...

God is not a slot machine. Gah at how some of these people have perverted Christianity.

I read that and wanted to puke. Their world is so small and controlled she convinces herself it's some god's provision that her daughter gave her an old, unused cell phone case.

I cannot even try to wrap my brain around such screwed up, selfish, ignorant thinking.

They can't actually wonder why people don't fall all over themselves to believe in their god. It takes a very deranged person to believe in a being who has an entire universe to be concerned with yet he gives you your very own cell phone case.

No wonder the 'children' are so stunted. This is the woman who 'taught' them their whole lives. Ignorance breeds ignorance.

Maxwellian wankery.

Another one here who was told you did not pray for material things for yourself. You asked for peace, justice, healing, and love for both those you knew and those you did not know. You fixed or apologized for what you had broken between you and someone else and then prayed for forgiveness.

Parking spots, cellphone cases, a good deal on a hotel, and things along those lines you got for your damned self.

This post actually makes me feel sad for Teri. It sounds like her inner-life is so devoid of purpose that she searches for meaning in the smallest things. "Yay! A new cellphone case! God does love me after all!" Gag. :roll:

Wouldn't it make sense to just go out and buy the cell phone case you want (or ask the children if they have one they're not using) and then spend that time praying instead for an end to hunger, war, disease. You know, the big stuff? This is right up there with god giving Raquel a horse.

No wonder there are earthquakes, airplane crashes, murders, nuclear disasters, famine - god is too busy answering the petty prayers of people like the Maxwells.

How I'm guessing this all actually went down:

Teri: (picks up her cell phone so she can dust off the table while she is cleaning the living room with Anna): Sigh, I never should have gotten a white cell, it just gets dirty too quickly. (silently pray to god for a new case)

Sarah: (mopping the floor in the kitchen overhears the conversation and says to herself): Gee, the last time I got a cell phone case it was buy-one get-one free. Think I may have the spare in my closet let me check.

Sarah: Hey Mom, look what I have!!!

I felt sad for Teri too, because I think having to over-analyze things the way she does would be exhausting. She felt guilty for wanting it. At the same time, this attitude of "I wanted a cell phone cover and god gave me one!!!" seems so childish and self-absorbed.

Teri said:

However, the more we pray, the more the Lord answers. He can’t answer if we aren’t praying. When He answers, we have the opportunity to give Him praise and glory as we share those answers with other.

Some omnipotent god you've got there Maxwells. Why can't he answer before you ask? He apparently knows every thought and everything about you, so surely he knows what you need/want before you do. Also I am pretty sure no one is asking for sick babies and wars and for people to be starving and treated cruelly, but that is all still going on. So all the folk praying for that stuff better shut the hell up!

I absolutely hate the idea that a God gives cell phone cases because of a prayer but children die every day. Some for no reason other than the place they were born and poverty.

What an asshold God.

Teri, I know the following statement is going to come as a shock to you, but you're a grownup, and I think you can handle it. Ready?

IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU.

God really, truly has much better things to do with her time.

The more I think about this post the more infuriated I become. Are the Maxwells really so out of touch with reality that they can't see how offensive this is?

Cell phone cases must really rate if one prayer gets through. Sparing Susannah Joy's life, something that was prayed for by hundreds of people? Not so much. Their god has some seriously fucked up priorities.

I am mostly a lurker here but I felt compelled to jump out of the woodwork and agree with all who have posted.

I have fundy family like this. The message is worship our God and this charmed life can be yours. You too can have the perfect clothes, nice house, and a lovely new cell phone case.

Yeah, well tell that to my profoundly disabled, medically fragile child who no end of praying could heal. The underlying message is that their prayers are, of course, vastly superior to any of ours. Their prayers, and overall piety, are so great that a cell phone case matters.

If this is their God then this is a God I want nothing to do with. Fortunately the God I look to is very different than the narrow-minded, legalistic, misogynist they have created.

Archived