IGNORED

I have the Wisdom book with bankruptcy Law!

homeschoolmomma1

It's meant to be a unit-study structure, but the cohesiveness of the unit is provided by the Bible passage. (The whole series of Wisdom Books covers the Sermon on the Mount.) So no individual subject is studied in any organized way, and often the connection to the Bible verse is strained at best. But hey, "Bible-centered education", right?

I was frustrated with it even as a kid, because, for instance, I was really interested in history but the history lessons were all hopelessly disconnected from each other. Like WW2 one month and John Wyclife the next and Alexander Graham Bell the next. (I'm making up those examples but you get the gist. Lots of moralizing biography and no coherence.) Fortunately for my history education, I read a lot on my own. My science education on the other hand... The combination of misinformation, weird spiritual analogies, incoherent structure, and no outside supplementation on that particular subject means that I know next to nothing about science. :embarrassed:

The Baptist school I went to used a mix of books like Bob Jones or A Beka books, and I remember similar morality lessons in one of my history books. For instance, talking about Pilgrim John Winthrop and how his wife was submissive, or how King Georgie III was so virtuous (along with his wife), that their court was known as the most boring court in Europe. I am still a Christian today, but I truly LOVE studying history for its own sake and don't need everything tied to a virtue lesson.

The more you learn about history, the more you learn how truly complex most situations and people are. Not that the world has never had heroes, but these sweeping character analyses conveniently stick people into categories that are usually too neat and tidy to be accurate.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You wouldn't want the secrets of the universe falling into the wrong hands....

Yes,I looked thru ebay and searched online,and couldn't find ATI materials anywhere.They really are a protected,'sacred sacrament'.

Apparently the buyers are brainwashed quite well,to never even think of reselling them.BZZT! Not allowed.Highly sensitive material.They must keep them locked in a vault for all time.

It's men like Gothard that Jesus warned us about being false prophet! Gothard gives Christians a bad name. It's nothing but a cult! Forgiveness and being forgiven have Nothing to do with illnesses! Forgiveness for the Christian means grace through Jesus. Everyone is able to be forgiven if they ask.

This isn't school material but propagnda for Gothard cult. No wonder the Duggars are under educated!

Yes and it's also making idols of men,something that was also warned about.The Duggars and their ilk follow Gothard like he's Jesus,and that is totally scary to me!

Jessa was annoying and misbehaving, and Jana asked her parents to step in. They told her to be nice to Jessa and forced her to hand over her beloved jewelry box to her.

I seem to recall Vyckie from No Longer Quivering telling a similar story--one of her sons was annoying his younger sister, so she(the sister)decided to "take out his trashes for him." I can't remember if they were ATI, though.

It's the incoherent structure that I find most problematic. Teaching facts (or 'facts") in a jumble with no relationship connecting them makes them more difficult to remember. A far more alarming consequence would be that the students are forced to think in a non-logical or non-linear fashion, which must do untold damage to their cognitive functions. It's like being taught by a disturbed brain spewing forth garbage in a stream and trying to make some sense of it. How did Gothard ever convince anyone to pay for these materials?!

This, a hundred times. Part of the thrill of learning is finding the continuity, seeing how things relate. Tying a bunch of arbitrarily chosen factoids togther is not going to allow for that -- though it may make for quite a successful bar trivia career.

I think I recall ati teaches something about doing something nice for someone who has wronged you? I'm thinking that's where Michelle and Vyckie got that from.

I think I recall ati teaches something about doing something nice for someone who has wronged you? I'm thinking that's where Michelle and Vyckie got that from.

I think the entire jewelry box incident was terrible, and was clearly traumatizing for Jana. Awful.

When appropriately applied, the principle of choosing to do something kind towards someone who has mistreated you can be very powerful, though I don't claim to be the best example of this! BUT I would never argue that someone in an abusive situation should take this approach, or that people shouldn't set proper boundaries to protect their own well-being. It should be an active, empowering choice, rather than passively "keeping sweet" and crushing your own sense of self.

I was really moved when a family member told the story about her friend who was really, really fed up with an aggravating co-worker (who was being incredibly nosy, bossy, etc.) Instead of responding passive-aggressively, or just aggressively, he decided that he was going to make a point of spending time with her and treat her kindly - to still see the personhood in her, rather than dwell on the pent-up frustrations. I was blown away by his example, and thinking of it still makes me take a good long look at my own failures to treat others as I'd want to be treated even when they are being rude to me.

(And by the way, this man is a gay Christian. I doubt ATI folks would expect that!)

On the last page of the Wisdom book that ATI posted as a sample is the song Amazing Grace and it says under the song the tune is Amazing Grace... I would never have known that lol

FYI--Amazing Grace can be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island--give it a whirl! "I once was lost but now am found was blind but now I see...was blind but now I see." :lol:

FYI--Amazing Grace can be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island--give it a whirl! "I once was lost but now am found was blind but now I see...was blind but now I see." :lol:

Back at a summer nerd camp I went to in high school, someone claimed that you can sing almost anything to the tune of Gilligan's Island. I haven't tried it with every song, but it was true for all the songs we tried that night - and for a long time afterward, there were a few songs that I always sang to the "wrong" tune. Including the camp song. :lol: Like some bizarre form of earworm.

"House of the Rising Son" works too.

The more you learn about history, the more you learn how truly complex most situations and people are. Not that the world has never had heroes, but these sweeping character analyses conveniently stick people into categories that are usually too neat and tidy to be accurate.

And that's how you get Anne Boleyn, Protestant Hero.

Ooo,ooo can I answer the medical questions??? I have an MD so it should be OK..Let's see:

None. Rheumatoid arthritis results from a complex interaction between genes and environment, leading to a breakdown of immune tolerance and synovial inflammation. The initiation of RA is a combination of pre-determined (genetic) and stochastic (random) events. Susceptibility to RA is clearly defined by a pattern of inherited genes, with the HLA major histocompatability genes as the most important. However, scores of minor genes that include cytokine promoters, T cell signaling genes, and many others, contribute to susceptibility and severity. Epigenetic influences, such as hypomethylation of DNA or expression of microRNAs, can also increase pro-inflammatory gene expression.

Not one bit of evidence that unforgiveness (is that a word?) is involved

It doesn't.

Oh sure, you went to medical school and think you have all the answers, but have you ever read a Wisdom booklet? I see my doctor this coming Wednesday and I sure hope he's up on all this Wisdom booklet knowledge and not that silly biology, chemistry, anatomy stuff.

I always ask any doctor I see what Wisdom Booklet they have gotten to. I personally won't see anyone who hasn't completed at least 20 Wisdom Booklets.

Sad news... my computers were down today at work. I hope to scan tomorrow. I think I will only scan the bankruptcy stuff and even I am a bit hesitant to do that due to copy write. Wish it was on Amazon where I could do the first few pages as a preview...

Thoughts on how I can do it

We learned that at 4-H camp back in the '80's... We made it our mission to see how many songs we could sing to the tune of Gilligan's Island. So, when I had to sing Amazing Grace yesterday at two Masses (back to back... because I'm an Evil Heathen) it took everything I had in me to not start giggling and bust out in the Gilligan's Island tune... I doubt anyone at 7:40 mass would have noticed... most of them are still asleep or hard of hearing. [goes off to prayer closet to repent for evil comment about hard of hearing parish members and for making an idol out of the tune to Gilligan's Island.]

I always ask any doctor I see what Wisdom Booklet they have gotten to. I personally won't see anyone who hasn't completed at least 20 Wisdom Booklets.

The sad thing is that Gothard sends teams overseas to evangelise the IBLP way to ppl in government. If you scroll back through Sara Smith's blog you'll see that she's been part of multiple delegations, I know she's been to Peru and Romania and I'm sure there have been other countries. I don't know how much of it is Gothard-spin (or how successful they are) but it looks like they are actually meeting with government employees who are fairly high in the bureaucracy, as high as government ministers for healthcare, and running workshops to peddle this bullshit. I suspect they have a underestimated the intelligence and training of ppl who don't come from the 'enlightened' global North and I hope they are laughed out of the room but I just find the whole idea disturbing and predatory.

The sad thing is that Gothard sends teams overseas to evangelise the IBLP way to ppl in government. If you scroll back through Sara Smith's blog you'll see that she's been part of multiple delegations, I know she's been to Peru and Romania and I'm sure there have been other countries. I don't know how much of it is Gothard-spin (or how successful they are) but it looks like they are actually meeting with government employees who are fairly high in the bureaucracy, as high as government ministers for healthcare, and running workshops to peddle this bullshit. I suspect they have a underestimated the intelligence and training of ppl who don't come from the 'enlightened' global North and I hope they are laughed out of the room but I just find the whole idea disturbing and predatory.

Wasn't it on a blog about one of their trips to Peru where they quoted Gothard saying he went to talk to hospital leaders and discussed the brain-stomach connection and then they cured a dying child by taking part of his stomach and putting it in his brain? They made the blog private after that got mocked and people wanted them to explain more. Gothard thinks he has all this amazing medical advice and since American doctors ignore him he will have to search for others who will listen to him.

IIRC that was on Davilla's blog when they went to preach the good tidings of Gothard to the great unwashed ex-commies in Romania. Although I could be wrong.

I wonder if Gothard actually believes in his own 'science'? There was an interesting article on Recovering Grace about his godly hydroponics scheme a while back (hydroponics + godly music=better tomatoes apparently. Get your setup today at the special low price of eleventy squillion dollars or.your eldest child.). By all accounts the scheme folded quietly when they realised it was bogus. But not before a fair number of (struggling) fundy families had been had. Or perhaps he folded it because there was squiet amongst the rank and file and he knew he couldn't get away with it anymore. I'm fascinated to know how much of their bullshit the fundy leaders actually believe.

oh, ffs. That's not what mourning means!

I can't get past the first idea. Do these people have no concept whatsoever of the English language?

Well... here we go

I think this is all I will scan. I hope it worked

frenchfry912.blog.com/2013/10/15/gain-some-wisdom/

By the way. The blog name is misleading for a reason... I like french fries but that is not what the book is about ;)

Also this is the teacher's book that is why there is answers lol

might be easier and more legal to just take pics and post them as long as they are large enough to read.

No worries, just scanned them. I just don't think I can copy the whole book. BTW did the link work?

Archived