IGNORED

LiaS: Scandalous Shorts

DomWackTroll

Okay, Kim C. took her kids to a movie yesterday, and check out the VERY short shorts on one of her daughters.

inashoe.com/2013/10/12709/

Those aren't the kind of "acceptable bermudas" we've seen on them before. And for the second time in about a week, a commenter notices and asks what happened to their modesty policy. Kim told the first person who asked that she will soon be writing a separate post about it. I wait with bated breath.

oh goodie! She may be my favorite hate read, and has been since the day that she suggested telling boys not to cry was an acceptable method of parenting.

Hopefully she has thrown out the modesty policy and decided to not be fundie anymore.

I can hope anyway...but I bet it wont happen. Theyve always been less modest than other fundies, but still fundie

The thing with Kim and Perry is that they've always thought they could have it both ways, because that's just how very mature they are in their Christianity. Sure, they listen to the Rolling Stones and Janis Joplin, and they drink alcohol, too, and, oh, the girls go driving around alone and not under their father's "umbrella of protection," but it's all okay because DISCERNMENT.

Kim and her daughters haven't stuck to their modest dress rules for quite some time. I think it is very interesting and can't wait to hear what Kim says about it. The whole family is not outwardly fundy anymore.

Here are Kim's reasons (inashoe.com/2013/10/4-moms-why-we-dont-always-wear-skirts/):

Our children grew up. Of course we still lay down some ground rules and exert influence over what our children wear, but the older and wiser they get, the more freedom they enjoy. They are choosing to wear less skirts now, but as long as they are dressing in a way that glorifies God, we’re ok with that.

Our circumstances changed. We used to wear pants and shorts regularly around the house, but never to town. That was for a variety of reasons, some of which changed with our move to town. One example: when we lived 50 miles away, a trip to town took the entire day and nearly always included a visit to Vision Forum, where we wear skirts out of respect for the convictions of others. Now, a 15 minute trip to the grocery store doesn’t necessarily warrant a change of wardrobe.

Our habits changed. I started exercising recently, and since I can do it in my air-conditioned home now, I don’t have to change clothes afterward, especially if I intend to exercise more later. I also prefer not to take walks or ride a bicycle in a skirt. And – surprise! When I don’t wear a skirt every day, my girls are less likely to wear skirts as well.

Emphasis added.

Respect for the convictions of others? Since when?

Here are Kim's reasons (inashoe.com/2013/10/4-moms-why-we-dont-always-wear-skirts/):

Emphasis added.

Respect for the convictions of others? Since when?

Respect for the convictions of Dougie who pays the bills.

Respect for the convictions of Dougie who pays the bills.

Exactly. It's just easier to pacify Doug and then do whatever they want on their own time. Doug's too busy jet-setting and doing the Liberace-esque "mentor" thing with his interns to really give a shit about the Coghlans, though if he bothered to look at their blog and FB pages, I'm sure he'd disapprove.

Heck, Doug says that women should be "keepers at home," yet he employs a ton of them in his call center, so hypocrisy in employment habits is nothing new for him.

I also find them interesting because they're both second generation, so I've often wondered how being born into vs choosing to be fundie effects what you worry about. More culturally fundie and less legalistic maybe?

Heck, Doug says that women should be "keepers at home," yet he employs a ton of them in his call center, so hypocrisy in employment habits is nothing new for him.

I suspect he views them as unchristian, and therefore they don't count. And he can pay them less than he would a man, so God would be pleased. Given many of the dominionists think some people were born to be slaves, using the nonchristians in roles he'd not want for his own family just makes sense--- dollars and sense ; 0

sort of like Hobby Lobby getting sweaty about a relatively small amount of their insurance dollar providing for contraceptive or abortions, cause they see that as a cost and supporting abortion, but overlooking the forced/encouraged abortion, infanticide of girls and more or less slave labor of the people in China making the gee gaws they have made their billions selling. It only is a problem if it costs you money or makes you look bad in front of others.

Doug's wife working on a phone bank would be unchristian. The other women working on a phone bank is a whole other thing.... it's making him money, and God wants that. :snooty:

I've wondered if this "not modest all the time" view might cause problems for Perry at work? Like the higher ups at VF might not appreciate the opposing viewpoints (or "scandalous" photos) appearing on the same website that often hawks VF merchandise? Something about it seems hypocritical to me. Or it seems to go against their other apparent view that their version of Christianity is infallible. If modesty rules are not so set in stone, what else might not be? It fascinates me because they seem more OK with these "slippery slope"issues than other Fundy families I know of, but are affiliated with such a stern organization. Like I'm happy to see them think for themselves, but mad they aren't more consistent.

OT--but did anybody else laugh at her using the butter melter as a ladle?

It looks just like a tiny little saucepan, but of course no one would actually use a pan that small. That’s how I knew it had to be a ladle./quote]

Nope--pretty sure it is a butter melter. Small pan, no lid.

Just made me giggle.

Carry on!

I got a good giggle out of her belief that it couldn't possibly be any kind of sauce pan.

OT--but did anybody else laugh at her using the butter melter as a ladle?

So thats what those are. I saw them one day, and I always wondered what someone could possibly cook with a pan that small. I always thought that it would be super awesome to use for a child's play kitchen-bonus points because it is not bright pink.

On a related note, today's post from Kim mentions that some man recently bought her daughter Lydia's hair and tried to do the same with Kaitlyn, who declined because she's a "good girl, she is." Eliza Doolittle reference aside, I know people buy and sell hair. I've donated my own to various charities. Still, the scenario as described seems distasteful, like the girls are unwittingly (or maybe wittingly; I don't know) involved in fulfilling some online creep's long-hair fetish.

Yeah, thats kinda weird, why would someone buy another person's hair? How exactly do you ask someone if you can buy their hair?

Yeah, sure, donate it to charity if you want, I know people who have done that, but it seems a bit weird to buy someones hair.

i have read that this charities about donating hair dont work well at all, and selling the hair is not something that weird and its well payed if its long and not dyed, the girl selled her hair to buy an ipod, you can read that in her blog.

Archived