IGNORED

this woman makes me sick - Vicki Courtney

Joykins

Austin,

I also understand that some teachers are on all day and are engaged. But I find people want so much more out of teachers than they give in their own life and job. I seriously feel like in many ways teaching is hard because of the schedule, etc and just getting time for dr appts, or to think.

Seriously if a teacher has 20 minutes a day where they suck, I can live with it.

I agree with you, believe me. The stress is enormous and it's not that he complains. He rarely says anything bout it. It's just evident. But you are in a tiny minority who believe "teachers are people, too". A lot of parents expect public schools to fix every problem their kids have and take very little responsibility for those problems themselves. Since parents expect this, administrators now expect this. Nevermind that kids are only in school for 14% of the lives up to age 18.

People say that public schools are declining or performing poorly and they blame teachers. They're an easy target, I suppose. But I say that a community's schools are a reflection of that community, so if your schools suck, it's probably because your community sucks. Education is an investment that people must make in the lives of their children, and teachers cannot do it alone. Believe me, if they could, they would.

It's coincidental that you mentioned doctor appointments, because last night he told me that he believes a health issue he's had before has returned and I immediately told him "You MUST get to the doctor" and the first thing out of his mouth was "I hope they can work me in so I don't have to miss school". And I'm like, WTF? It's your health, dude, and you're not 30 any more (he's nearly 58). But this comes from not wanting to leave his kids high and dry (his school will not get a substitute teacher for an absent teacher - if you have to be out for something unavoidable, they get an aide to cover the class - which means babysitting the class). I don't care. If he does not call today, I will make the appointment myself and he can get over it.

There's a reason that 33% of educators leave the field within the first five years.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Austin, my mom was like that too - all my life, I had to go to the dentist at like 6:45 am so she could get me home in time for both of us to go to school, and the doctor at 4:30 or later, after she was done for the day. Even when I was getting teeth pulled, or had an injury or a bad infection.

When my mom got breast cancer, she had enough sick days to take an entire semester off for chemo. Because she hadn't taken one in 10 or 15 years.

People say that public schools are declining or performing poorly and they blame teachers. They're an easy target, I suppose. But I say that a community's schools are a reflection of that community, so if your schools suck, it's probably because your community sucks. Education is an investment that people must make in the lives of their children, and teachers cannot do it alone. Believe me, if they could, they would.

This.

Archived