IGNORED

Fake Jew Wedding Video

GeoBQn

This is a video about the marriage of Naomi from Everyday Set-Apart. She and her husband have been legally married since May (the betrothal ceremony), but they didn't have the religious ceremony until September, and she lived with her family during that entire time.

PuNyn9_983c

Some observations:

-Jewish weddings used to have separate betrothal and marriage ceremonies that were months apart, but the custom became to have them on the same day, what with the all the uncertainty of not knowing when you could get expelled or massacred by your neighbors.

-The lighting and tinting on the video looks awful.

-Just because a shofar is a Jewish object, doesn't mean that it gets used at every Jewish occasion.

-I can't tell if Naomi looks exhausted or resigned.

-In a video that was 7:51, Naomi spoke for less than 30 seconds. Joe even answered the one question that was directed to her.

-Seriously, whoever made this video . . . don't quit your day job.

I am not familiar with them. I went to her site and it looks like they are messianic jews (aka christians appropriating jewish traditions). Is that right?

Aren't messianics Jews for Jesus - actual Jews who convert?

Aren't messianics Jews for Jesus - actual Jews who convert?

messianic jews and jews for jesus are two different things.

I always mix them up, but I think Jews for Jesus are Jews that converted mostly, and messianic Jews are kinda their own sect that believe in a mixture of things that are mostly Christian but still call themselves Jews. I am not sure though.

There's a lot of fluidity in terms--Messianic Christians, Messianic Jews, Torah Observant Christians, Hebrew Roots, etc. Most of the Messianics I've come across with blogs are Christians who take on Jewish rituals. Basically, most "Messianic Jewish" organizations are not lead by Jewish converts to Christianity. They are coming from evangelical Christian movements to attempt to convert Jews. If you go to the Southern Baptist Convention website, you will find a lot of Messianic "synagogues" listed as member churches.

There's a lot of fluidity in terms--Messianic Christians, Messianic Jews, Torah Observant Christians, Hebrew Roots, etc. Most of the Messianics I've come across with blogs are Christians who take on Jewish rituals. Basically, most "Messianic Jewish" organizations are not lead by Jewish converts to Christianity. They are coming from evangelical Christian movements to attempt to convert Jews. If you go to the Southern Baptist Convention website, you will find a lot of Messianic "synagogues" listed as member churches.

What?? I no idea! I had always thought the terms were pretty interchangeable for Jews by birth who embrace the jeebus myth. Wow! christians will steal anything, won't they?

Ugh, Imagine having to listen to him pontificating for the rest of your life...Blurgh. Also, the playing of the shofars seems somehow sacrilegious. Boo.

I concur with all what has been said, but at the cost of sounding shallow: what about a bit of make up on your wedding day? A nicer head covering? Btw if this is supposed to be Jewish, why didn't she cover her hair until after. And indeed she doesn't look particularly happy, hopefully it's just because she's tired.

She looked bored out of her mind having to stand there and listen to him go on and on and on. And there was freaking tree branch in the way during the wedding ceremony.

It's got to be incredibly lonely to be part of a religious group like that when you don't have much of a community of people with the same beliefs.

That beard is pretty bad.

I thought it was interesting and surprising that according to a recent [link=http://www.pewforum.org/2013/10/01/jewish-american-beliefs-attitudes-culture-survey/]survey[/link], about a third of Jewish Americans think believing that Jesus was the messiah is compatible with being Jewish. I feel like these people would be a different case than people who started out Jewish and then came to believe in Jesus, though.

How very interesting! *looks around*

They try so hard anyway...

As a Jewish person sucked into the Messianic way of things in my youth I can say that the vast majority of people involved are not Jewish by birth. I can also say that the Jewish people who are involved did not have a Jewish education.

Ny experience leads me to define the following as such:

Jews for Jesus - Mostly christians with a little bit of Jewish flair. Mostly call the dude Jesus, will have services on Sunday. Christmas and Easter is ok.

Messianics- More of a mix of Judaism and Christianity. However, the vast majority of the Christian stuff will have Jewish names. Like Yeshua, never Jesus. Mikvah, not Baptism. No crosses, Christmas, all Jewish holidays.

The others, like Hebrew Roots- Refer to God as Yah, Yahshua instead of Jesus. I don't think I ever met a real honest to goodness Jew in that. Some of them don't even think that the Jews are right with when the holidays are so they have their own timing with them. I met some very far out there people!

In the congregation I was involved with, out of 300 families only 3 were actually Jewish by birth. I got sucked in because there was only one Jewish synagogue in the phone book (does that age me?) and it was Messianic. I thought it was like reform, conservative and so on, I just thought it was another branch. When I went it looked Jewish, and I had no Jewish education.

Archived