IGNORED

Abigail Miscarried

Ridiculous

Saturday, October 19, 2013

It's Me, It's Me, Oh Lord, Standing in the Need of Prayer

Long, hard, beautiful weekend. I need some prayers to get over the final hump to get discharged from the hospital and get home. I checked into the hospital at noon on Friday. Delivered Leo at 10:30 AM today. Now my labor has stalled again. I can't get the placenta out. Hoping to deliver it soon and get home.

Posted by Abigail at 3:08 PM

abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/2013/10/its-me-its-me-oh-lord-standing-in-need.html

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She described it in more detail. Is this the first time she's said that she has had 5 C-sections?

abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/2013/10/miscarriage-notes-part-3.html

She really takes the hard path for everything doesn't she?

That many c-sections are a huge risk to future pregnancies and deliveries... I guess yet another way fertility trumps all. Sometimes I wonder whether the hard-core, not-even-NFP Catholics really think through what they're doing in terms of the command "Do not put the Lord your God to the test", because this blase approach to maternal and child risk factors with the explanation of "don't you have enough faith??" is just irresponsible.

I too am glad she is okay, though. What a hard, hard thing to go through.

Nope, she's been very open about how many C-Sections she's had. I believe, though I don't know why, that she has to have one no matter what every time she gets pregnant. She claims that the doctors have told her that she can have more C-Sections no problem.

Nope, she's been very open about how many C-Sections she's had. I believe, though I don't know why, that she has to have one no matter what every time she gets pregnant. She claims that the doctors have told her that she can have more C-Sections no problem.

I had three C-sections in 3 years. It's been almost seven years since my last caesarean and I'm considering getting pregnant in the next year or two. Doctors have told me that I will have to deliver by caesarean, that the pregnancy will be considered high risk even though it's been a long time since my last operation, and that while they don't see enough risk factors to preclude my having a healthy baby and pregnancy they strongly advise that this fourth full term pregnancy I am contemplating be my last.

I am also suffering with an ongoing gall bladder infection, and my doctors and I are trying very hard to control the infection enough to allow for keyhole surgery, because removing my gall bladder whilst it's this infected would require full abdominal surgery, and with my history and my desire for another pregnancy we really want to avoid that - an abdominal surgery for my gall bladder would make another pregnancy/caesarean higher risk.

TL/DR- all doctors I have spoken to, including obstetricians, feel that pregnancies and births after two or more C-sections present risks and that the risks increase with each pregnancy and caesarean. I don't think they would endorse me having endless pregnancies that required C-section deliveries. Abigail's 5 are already well outside the safe range, especially as they have been quite close together.

This woman had nine c-sections.

http://www. manymcdaniels.com/birthstories.html

Yes, she praises God a lot. She added in January of 2013 that they didn't stop trying after 9 c-sections, but she just didn't get pregnant anymore.

Just because people do something doesn't mean it's advisable ;)

I'm sure there are people that can/do have various numbers of C-sections with no problems, but there are risks involved with each subsequent pregnancy.

Back in the dark ages when I was having kids, they used to say 3 was the absolute max you could have. I had 2, but didn't plan on having more kids, so I wasn't worried about it. Once you are pregnant, it's not like they can say, "well you've had your 3 c-sections so you're just screwed, so sorry!" They work with the circumstances they are in.

Not to judge, but ok who am I kidding, is it just me or is it really, really weird to be taking all sorts of pictures of yourself and others doing your miscarriage at a hospital? I mean maybe I am just not a big photographer in private moments type of person, but that seems very odd to me.

The fundie crowd has never cared whether or not it is advisable to have multiple c-sections. It's all about the BLESSINGS!!1!11!

aboverubies.org/en/articles/english-language/c-sections/1031-c-sections-how-many-is-too-many

The article was written by Melanie Beggs, mother of Lyndsie. The language that she uses to describe her early c-sections is so baffling. She went 3 weeks overdue with her first pregnancy, labored for 12 hours with no progression, saw her baby's heart-rate was dropping, but it's like she still feels regretful over having a c-section.

I wonder if it was inadvisable to have more than X c-sections when the incision was done differently than it is now? I have a couple of non-religious, non-child collector friends who have had more than 5 c-sections and one is a midwife. I do not believe she is the type to take a risk with her health. Anyhow, the small bikini line incision wasn't always done and I know the previous incisions carried a higher risk of uterine rupture.

I wonder if it was inadvisable to have more than X c-sections when the incision was done differently than it is now? I have a couple of non-religious, non-child collector friends who have had more than 5 c-sections and one is a midwife. I do not believe she is the type to take a risk with her health. Anyhow, the small bikini line incision wasn't always done and I know the previous incisions carried a higher risk of uterine rupture.

My first one was a "classical" incision. The second one was a bikini cut. It's been a really long time since I was pregnant, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but there are other risks in addition to uterine rupture, though that is the most well known one, I think. There is one that has to do with placenta attachment or something to do with the placenta that can be a problem because of scar tissue on the uterus, I can't think what that's called off the top of my head. Placenta privia (sp) maybe?

I've said before, I wanted a c-section from the get go. I kept trying to talk my dr. into one because labor scared the bejezzus out of me, thinking what it would do to my back. He pooh poohed me and said everything would be fine. Then I ended up having to have an "emergency" c-section anyway. The FSM clearly heard my prayers that day ;) Once I had the first one, I knew I was home free on any subsequent pregnancy since back then they didn't encourage VBAC.

I will say my OB/GYN did half-hardheartedly ask if I was considering it, in that face scrunched up way that you ask someone if they'd like to do something that you hope they are going to say no to because you'd rather poke a fork in your eye than do it;) He was happy when I said that I was perfectly happy with another c-section.

For me the "birth experience" was mostly about getting babies out fast with the least trauma to both of us and the babies being healthy. I didn't have some dream birth plan that I wanted to accomplish or I would not feel fulfilled or like a real woman or anything like that. My goal was just to get a living human out of me, in one piece. I didn't really care how it happened. I was fairly young when I had my kids and there wasn't the internet yet, so I didn't know I was supposed to worry about that stuff ;)

Not to judge, but ok who am I kidding, is it just me or is it really, really weird to be taking all sorts of pictures of yourself and others doing your miscarriage at a hospital? I mean maybe I am just not a big photographer in private moments type of person, but that seems very odd to me.

It's a little odd to me, too. Especially with all the smiles. She has one of her that's labeled 26 and a half hours into labor, and she says she looks a little worse for wear, but other than a bit of mussy hair, she looks fine to me. She's also smiling.

Now, my labor was 12 hours and my baby fine, but I wasn't smiling like that or up for pictures whatsoever when I was just about to begin pushing.

In any case, I was wondering, if she had so many c-sections before, did she actually have a vaginal delivery here or what? How does that work?

I am totally ignorant about 14 week miscarriages, so the 26 hour thing really threw me for a loop. At what point do they induce labor instead of doing a D&C w/ miscarriages? I have had one D & C and one that I was able to miscarry on my own. Anyway, her having to labor just seemed really horrible and sad to me. I can't imagine... :(

Also, was she implying that if they gave her too much pitocin too soon she might have to have a c-section? Like I said, maybe I am just a complete idiot, but I had no clue that you could have a c-section after miscarrying at 14 weeks.

I was also a bit surprised by the way the nurse just popped up and said, "it's a boy". I am having a really hard time understanding how they went from telling her to "flush it", to cleaning the body and announcing that it was boy.

I lost a pregnancy at 16 weeks. From the time my pains started till I delivered, it was about 10 hours (only the first 5 were painful). I had to go the bathroom and the momentum of getting out of the bed delivered the baby. Hours later, part of the placenta came out. I should have had a D&C because not all of the placenta came out. I spent a week in pain with cramps before I passed the rest of the placenta. When I complained to my doctor, I was told it was from having a miscarriage. I had a harder time recovering from my miscarriage than recovering from birthing my two children.

I feel for Abigail. But I can't imagine the whole process taking as long as she says.

Also, was she implying that if they gave her too much pitocin too soon she might have to have a c-section? Like I said, maybe I am just a complete idiot, but I had no clue that you could have a c-section after miscarrying at 14 weeks.

I don't see where she implied that. My read was just that the doctors were nervous about giving her pitocin due to her c-section history, so they started her with barely any at all and increased the dosage slooowwwlyy over several hours. Until finally there was a shift change and a new doctor came in and cranked up the pitocin amount, which finally got things moving.

I have zero medical training though, so maybe I read that wrong. The FDA info for piton states that "except in unusual circumstances" pitocin should not be used with someone who has had "prior cesarian sections" and also discusses (in another part) the risk of uterine rupture. I'm guessing this why the history prior c-sections came up as an issue, but maybe someone with more medical knowledge can chime in?

Edit: Changed "pitocin website" to "FDA info for pitocin." Here's a link if anyone's interested: http://www.drugs.com/pro/pitocin.html

This thing is horrid to quote on but Curious, what you are talking about is Placenta Accreta, it is when the placenta attaches in a way that it can grow outside the scar tissue, the placenta can also go further and attach to other organs like the bladder as well. I know some one who had two c-sections, in the middle of the second they discovered Placenta Accreta, friend was given a full hysterectomy on the table and almost bled to death. She also developed some infection as well later. The doctors said she was very lucky, her daughter was almost left motherless.

Accreta and uterine rupture are more common with classic cuts, but can happen in bikini cuts as well, but the type of cut and stitches make classic more

risky.

I think it's interesting that others are finding this story rather odd as well. I mean if the baby has been gone as long as she said, I hate to say this but the baby should show deterioration and not be so easy to see the gender. The time and break down of events seem odd. The photos seem strange, I just feel bad saying this, but her story is not rining true.

I don't see where she implied that. My read was just that the doctors were nervous about giving her pitocin due to her c-section history, so they started her with barely any at all and increased the dosage slooowwwlyy over several hours. Until finally there was a shift change and a new doctor came in and cranked up the pitocin amount, which finally got things moving.

I have zero medical training though, so maybe I read that wrong. The FDA info for piton states that "except in unusual circumstances" pitocin should not be used with someone who has had "prior cesarian sections" and also discusses (in another part) the risk of uterine rupture. I'm guessing this why the history prior c-sections came up as an issue, but maybe someone with more medical knowledge can chime in?

Edit: Changed "pitocin website" to "FDA info for pitocin." Here's a link if anyone's interested: http://www.drugs.com/pro/pitocin.html

Okay, that makes more sense. I have never had a c-section, so I didn't know pitocin wasn't advisable for those who have had them before.

I thought she was saying they were afraid that they would end up doing a c-section if they gave it too fast.

Okay, that makes more sense. I have never had a c-section, so I didn't know pitocin wasn't advisable for those who have had them before.

I thought she was saying they were afraid that they would end up doing a c-section if they gave it too fast.

For my mother's third and last c-section in the early 90s, she actually had an attempted VBAC with a failed early induction. She went in two weeks before her due date and was hooked to Pitocin all day with no result, went home, then came back that two weeks later, after her water broke, labored 16 hours with Pitocin, and wound up with a c-section anyway. I never thought much of the story until I started having kids/learning childbirth lingo and realized that the doctor must have been out of his damn mind to first induce her, then send her home, then to give her Pit again with her risk factors.

I'm kind of wondering why on earth her OBs would have recommended 1) waiting all this time before inducing and 2) inducing at all (and with Pitocin) rather than a D&C. Am I right that this is the first time that she would have actually "given birth" (as it were) vaginally?

It's all very odd. So far in life she's the only person I've heard of having Pitocin to induce expulsion of a 14 week missed miscarriage. She's an odd duck so perhaps that was all the OB could talk her into.

Archived