IGNORED

Vanilla Ice Goes Amish

Buzzard

I'm serious, this is actually a show on the DIY network. For some inexplicable reason someone thought it would be a good idea to take Vanilla Ice (time to get over your 1980s personna) and send him to stay in an Amish community in Ohio. Dressed like a thug Vanilla shows up, tats, earings and all, to stay with a nice man who I seriously doubt is actually Amish. Ice claims he's there to share his love of construction... :lol: He's even kind enough to help out with the laundry.

My favorite part is the beginning when he says that his "fans" know him as Vanilla Ice but he doubts anyone knows him around there.

Its a mix of "for richer for poorer" meets "a simple life" and "this old house"... without electricity. If you have a hankering for a washed up self promoting musician (wearing "ice ice baby" t shits) and a vast array of very clean baseball hats be sure you dont miss this show.

Much as I loved "build-it" shows, I'll pass. But thanks for alerting me it's there! I now know to avoid it. ;)

At the end of the show he talks about how he can bring "his style" to the Amish... seriously?

At the end of the show he talks about how he can bring "his style" to the Amish... seriously?

!

As before: men be crazy.

I'm trying to decide how anyone came up with this idea. Who was sitting around and suddenly thought, "Let's put Vanilla Ice with Amish people!"

I'm trying to decide how anyone came up with this idea. Who was sitting around and suddenly thought, "Let's put Vanilla Ice with Amish people!"

:hookah:

I find it so weird the Amish are willing to do tv shows. There's the one about rumspringer(spelling!?), the one about the Amish Mafia (seems super fake), and now this. For a community that rejects modern invention, participating in reality tv seems out of character.

Also, omg go away Vanilla ice.

Did I take one too many of one of my meds or is this thread really "Vanilla Ice Goes Amish" :confusion-seeingstars:

What style? He's best known for ripping off Queen (Greatest Band EVER) & David Bowie FFS.

I find it so weird the Amish are willing to do tv shows. There's the one about rumspringer(spelling!?), the one about the Amish Mafia (seems super fake), and now this. For a community that rejects modern invention, participating in reality tv seems out of character.

Also, omg go away Vanilla ice.

That is because it is out of character and they are not participating. The Amish Mafia actors and show has been busted wide open. Some of them may have been born into Amish families or have Amish relatives, but none of them, not a one, is actually baptized in the Amish Church. So they are not by the Amish definition adult members of any Amish community (must be baptized into the community as an adult). Baptized Amish who interview on camera for reality TV are shunned by their communities. They are literally removed from the life of the community.

These people are pretending to be Amish on TV. Frankly, these networks are making a mockery of Amish culture the same way they used to make a mockery of black culture through minstrel shows. Yes, the analogy is apt. They are producing what they think non Amish think Amish are like under all their restrictions. The Amish community is hardly above reproach, but like any community they should have their faults portrayed and described honestly and fairly.

The networks know that the Amish do not use the American judicial system. They can do this with impunity because the Amish have tied their own hands and cannot fight back in the only way that these producers understand--by hitting them in the pocketbook.

Hell, it would take more than smoking weed to alter one's mind enough to think that Amish and Vanilla Ice belong on the same show.

That is because it is out of character and they are not participating. The Amish Mafia actors and show has been busted wide open. Some of them may have been born into Amish families or have Amish relatives, but none of them, not a one, is actually baptized in the Amish Church. So they are not by the Amish definition adult members of any Amish community (must be baptized into the community as an adult). Baptized Amish who interview on camera for reality TV are shunned by their communities. They are literally removed from the life of the community.

These people are pretending to be Amish on TV. Frankly, these networks are making a mockery of Amish culture the same way they used to make a mockery of black culture through minstrel shows. Yes, the analogy is apt. They are producing what they think non Amish think Amish are like under all their restrictions. The Amish community is hardly above reproach, but like any community they should have their faults portrayed and described honestly and fairly.

The networks know that the Amish do not use the American judicial system. They can do this with impunity because the Amish have tied their own hands and cannot fight back in the only way that these producers understand--by hitting them in the pocketbook.

That makes so much sense.

Exactly. Anyone who is somewhat knowledgeable about Amish culture and religion will see three mockery in minutes. I watched the first season of Breaking Amish and was completely confused by why one of the girls had dark roots and such short hair if she was Amish. Once I found out they hasn't been Amish for years it all made sense. It's so insulting to the Amish. It's embarrassing to even be the same species as most of the recruits for those shows.

Probably the same guy who came up with his other TV show, the "Vanilla Ice Project" - someone who thought, sure, we'll give a washed up rapper a DIY home show.

Because, you know, there's not enough random pointless crap on TV already.

How do these people get shows? Didn't Bronson Pinchot have a show involving home improvement? Who is making these decisions and how do we change his mind?

When he was on The Surreal Life (yes, I watched it, but for anthropological reasons. That's my story & I'm sticking to it) he kept whining about how the name Vanilla Ice was holding him back & for now on he was Rob van Winkle or whatever his name is. Interesting how as soon as he was offered the slightest money & attention the old name became just dandy again.

Exactly. Anyone who is somewhat knowledgeable about Amish culture and religion will see three mockery in minutes. I watched the first season of Breaking Amish and was completely confused by why one of the girls had dark roots and such short hair if she was Amish. Once I found out they hasn't been Amish for years it all made sense. It's so insulting to the Amish. It's embarrassing to even be the same species as most of the recruits for those shows.

These people had a gas refrigerator in their kitchen and piped gas lighting in the home. Thats not the standard Amish way of life as I understood it. I also believed that baptised Amish would not be photographed due to either a prohibition of graven images or something about pride (thats what they told me on my 8th grade field trip to lancaster).

Also of note, when he went to shave there was a sink in the bathroom but no running water (and no mirror). Why install a sink with modern fixtures unless you only turned the water off to be fake amish?

In other words, they are about as real as any other reality show.

From time to time I tell my husband I wish i was merceanary enough and so completely without shame that I could participate in a reality series.... because a lot of them make a ton of money, and I like money. But-- like being a TV evangelist , there are just some things that are too nasty to do for money, even very good money.

How do these people get shows? Didn't Bronson Pinchot have a show involving home improvement? Who is making these decisions and how do we change his mind?

Bronson Pinchot and Vanilla Ice both at least seem to have a bit of actual carpentry skill. They may have washed up as musicians and actors, and so they need other ways to pay the bills. So they milk their backgrounds and get a couple extra minutes of fame.

Bronson Pinchot and Vanilla Ice both at least seem to have a bit of actual carpentry skill. They may have washed up as musicians and actors, and so they need other ways to pay the bills. So they milk their backgrounds and get a couple extra minutes of fame.

I've seen some episodes on The Bronson Pinchot Project on DIY and I have to admit I like the show. On one episode, he and assistants went to Portland, Maine to fetch an old cupola for one of the buildings on the property. It was like a little tiny Florida room for him to have a cup of coffee in the morning. It thought it was pretty cool! I do like he is restoring his property and not just trashing everything.

It also depends on the particular order that these Amish belong to. For instance there are some groups of Beachy Amish that do not have restrictions on video or print images and some groups of New Order Amish are the same. But I do agree that there has been lots of abuse and exploitation of the "image" of the Amish. One of my good friends is Old Order Amish and she is appalled that these types of shows are on tv. I will probably watch the new Vanilla Ice show just so I can report to Rachel what's on now. And I happen to like his other shows.

In other words, they are about as real as any other reality show.

From time to time I tell my husband I wish i was merceanary enough and so completely without shame that I could participate in a reality series.... because a lot of them make a ton of money, and I like money. But-- like being a TV evangelist , there are just some things that are too nasty to do for money, even very good money.

We know a family that was on the wedding show Rich Bride, Poor Bride.

Tons of creative editing later, they amplified the drama, made the father sound like a cheap jerk (when in reality he paid a ton for the wedding), caught him making an embarrassing comment about a friend, and thoroughly embarrassed the family. All they got in return was a discount toward the cost of the wedding planner. NOT worth it!

It also depends on the particular order that these Amish belong to. For instance there are some groups of Beachy Amish that do not have restrictions on video or print images and some groups of New Order Amish are the same. But I do agree that there has been lots of abuse and exploitation of the "image" of the Amish. One of my good friends is Old Order Amish and she is appalled that these types of shows are on tv. I will probably watch the new Vanilla Ice show just so I can report to Rachel what's on now. And I happen to like his other shows.

The Amish Mafia "stories" are set in communities of Old Order Amish. One in Lancaster County, and one in Ohio, so these people are portraying people who very much have rules against appearing on video and giving interviews about church dynamics to the "English". It would be like a secular Jew dressing up and pretending to be an actual Hasid living a Hasidic lifestyle for the camera. Complete with pictures of the secular Jew eating bacon when not "on set". Reality TV as unreal as it can get.

I've seen some episodes on The Bronson Pinchot Project on DIY and I have to admit I like the show. On one episode, he and assistants went to Portland, Maine to fetch an old cupola for one of the buildings on the property. It was like a little tiny Florida room for him to have a cup of coffee in the morning. It thought it was pretty cool! I do like he is restoring his property and not just trashing everything.

Gotta disagree. Bronson Pinchot takes old stuff and makes it all look the same as his other old suff. I am all for some "distressed" furniture and decorating, but every single thing in every single room being hit with the white and gray paint to give it a "patina" is not creative, it is just repetitive. Vanilla Ice mostly just flips a house...or makes it over-the-top.

Aaaaaand I have totally given myself up as a DIY channel addict. In my defense, we are building a house and I started out trying to learn some stuff.

Archived