IGNORED

Duggars' Handwriting

Pretzel

I came across a picture of some of the Duggars' signatures and I was wonderwing whether anyone here knew a bit more about character traits visible in handwriting and such...? I think it's interesting that the girls don't use cursive and Jana uses capitals in her signature. :think:

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=402765363155612&set=a.388579354574213.1073741828.269181913180625&type=1&theater

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anna's signature looks like a childs writing - not messy, just childlike. Signatures don't always reflect handwriting so we can't really use this to judge her regular writing. I do wonder though, what sort of example she will be setting her kids as their teacher.

I am shocked by Anna's signature. She writes like my 6 year old daughter.

And John Davids? Did he skip writing completely at SOTDRT?

Signatures aren't generally a very accurate gauge of how good someone's handwriting is. If you looked at mine you'd think I didn't know how to spell half my name and I thought lower case letters were squiggly lines.

What I find really odd is that the girls all just print their names, some of them very carefully, whereas the guys have actual signatures. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Okay, firstly there is no law that says your signature has to be in cursive. This is something third grade teachers tell their kids to get them enthused about script, but the truth is that however you habitually write your name is your "actual" signature. It isn't less authentic if you print it.

Secondly, there are any number of reasons to have a "childish" handwriting style. Unfortunately, teaching handwriting is not something America, as a rule, excels at. I have to say, Anna's signature is not all that different from mine (well, if my name were Anna Duggar, which it's not, but that's not the point). It isn't shocking, it's an artifact from having teachers who didn't know how to teach lefties to write combined with lack of practice. The nieces, whom I taught to write cursive because their schools didn't intend to spend any time on it, have better handwriting than I do because even though my script is slow I have spent a lot of time and effort learning how to teach it. So long as the handwriting is neat and legible and doesn't take forever, "childish" isn't really a problem. (And of course, different people prefer different styles of script to teach children, but that's another issue.)

I'm sorry for jumping on everybody so early in the conversation, but I'm beyond tired of listening to and reading people insinuate that you can more or less judge a person's intelligence by their handwriting. It wouldn't be so insulting if it were true, but as it is not...!

My handwriting is utter crap. I spent several years with teachers demanding I slant one way or another and just generally fudging up what really should have been an easy process simply because I was left-handed. I think I had three different "methods" drilled into me. I eventually got to where I just didn't GAF, and I became a penmanship flunkout. Yes, really. What has resulted is handwriting that includes both printed and cursive letters in a big hodge-podge.

It works. But I hope to goodness I'm never judged by it.

My handwriting is about ten times worse than any of their signatures are. I can't offer any snark here.

And I print everything, even my signature. The schools in my area stopped teaching cursive years ago. I wouldn't know how to sign my name in cursive if I wanted to.

Yeah, my sixth grade English teacher called my handwriting a "grandmotherly scrawl". I try not to write anything in cursice, because it's illegible. If I have to print something, I use block letters. I think I've forgotton how to write in lowercase! Part of it is being lefthanded, part of it is sheer laziness. :)

My son (12) still learned cursive in school, but the teachers mostly require all work to be done on the computer, so it is a dying lesson.

Depends what the reasoning was. I mean, were these 'stand in a line and collect a signature' cards? Did they write them out beforehand, or were these spur of the moment creations? If someone tells me to sign my name to something, well, it looks like John David's, because I'm used to "signing" for packages and things where they want the name as quick as possible.

If I'm signing my name to a legal document? It's a practiced signature, because I don't use cursive for anything but my signature, and I don't sign a lot of legal documents.

If I suddenly become famous and have to sign my name for people at a moment's notice? If I'm a teenager, I'm going to make it "unique" and pretty and practice the shit out of it. If I'm maybe a shy young adult who simply married into this fame crap and am told to "make it legible" as quick as possible, it's going to look more like Anna's.

I think that explains more of the girl's writing than any specific simple graphology. The boys, on the other hand, have a really wide variance when all of them were, presumably, taught to write by the same person. My mother never really "taught" me handwriting; I never sat down and copied her letters (I had a set of plastic stencils I used to learn to write before I started school) but my regular handwriting now looks a little bit like hers. My brother's is an echo of mine with some unusual embellishments because he forms a couple of his letters totally backwards- where most people would start from the letter and form the letter in a down and to the right motion, he goes up and to the left, even though he's not left-handed.

Are there left-handed Duggars?

A signature isn't supposed to be in print. I guess the Duggars aren't taught at the SOTDRT. Even Anna printed her name. SMH.

A signature isn't supposed to be in print. I guess the Duggars aren't taught at the SOTDRT. Even Anna printed her name. SMH.

That's just a silly claim.

If you go to the next picture in the series you can see the signatures for the rest of the family (either click on the picture itself or click next).

The thing that stands out the most to me is that Jackson is 9 years old and he is writing his name with a backwards J. I remember doing that as a 6 year old just starting grade 1 - the teacher corrected me and it didn't happen again. He is NINE!! What the hell kind of education is going on in that family when a grade 3 kid can't even write his name correctly?

How long ago was this? Jackson and Johannah's writing looks like my little sisters. She is five.

The date on it is 2010, so its not that bad-it was 3 years ago, so they would only be 5 and 6.

Those cards are from 2010. So Jackson must have been 6 then and in 1st or 2nd grade.

Of course a signature says nothing about intelligence or intellect. I hope nobody believes that. And a signature doesn not have to be in cursive. I just wondered whether some people had theories on different handwriting and associated character traits. Like artistic handwriting coming from a more creative person etc. I noticed that Joy's handwriting is more artistic than e.g. Jana's. Etc. I know it is all just theory and we will never know for sure but it could be interesting speculation. No snark intended.

That claim is absolutely not defensible.

If you go to the next picture in the series you can see the signatures for the rest of the family (either click on the picture itself or click next).

The thing that stands out the most to me is that Jackson is 9 years old and he is writing his name with a backwards J. I remember doing that as a 6 year old just starting grade 1 - the teacher corrected me and it didn't happen again. He is NINE!! What the hell kind of education is going on in that family when a grade 3 kid can't even write his name correctly?

These are from 2010 (the date's on the bottom). I was about to snark on Hannie's as well, but it's only a little bit behind instead of waaaaaayyyyyyy behind.

That claim is absolutely not defensible.

While I would agree with you that you can certainly use a print signature, I was always taught that it was a really, really bad idea, since it'd be much easier to copy than a cursive one. Mind you, that doesn't matter much for autographs and it seems likely they use something different for legal docs.

It's not really surprising to me that Anna's signature looks a bit un-practiced. After all, what would a young lady who went from being homeschooled to being a submissive stay at home mom really have to sign on a regular basis? Pay checks? Signing off on documents at work? Legal forms? Bar tabs? :lol:

She probably signs some documents now as part of her appearance on the show, and a stray autograph here and there, but otherwise she doesn't get to practice it much.

i have a book about graphology that haves a chapter dedicated to signatures, i can look what says about duggars signatures but im not sure if is reliable like a science

How long ago was this? Jackson and Johannah's writing looks like my little sisters. She is five.

The date on it is 2010, so its not that bad-it was 3 years ago, so they would only be 5 and 6.

That's much better to think of him as a 6 year old writing a backwards J. I saw that the album was called '2013' so I just assumed they were recent. I guess all I was looking at were the signatures.

ok im looking in the book and first thing is that none of the duggar signatures have a paraph?(tell me if you understand this word because i had to translate it in google and i dont know if has any sense for you) my book is about spanish signatures and says that in some countries its usual not doing it so the interpretation about not having it is not valid there.(nothing in the book about using bible quotes in the signature either lol)

Other thing is that you have to compare the signature with the handwriting of the same person in a text and i dont have that. And there is the interpretation about the use of the surnames that is not valid for them either since the surname sistem is diferent there also.

So im going to put something of the book here as an example and if you think that it worths it i will translate other things later:

if the signature is very upward(more than 10º):the person have big ambitions impossible to make and that generates him frustation, upward(less than 10º):the person have ambitions but realistic ones, horizontal:madurity and selfcontrol or falling: sadness or tiredness

The only thing you can tell about a person from their signature is how much they've practised their signature (if it looks impeccable for example). Unless there is a particular problem or deficit which might be indicated by getting letters backwards, writing in illegibly small letters, etc. Graphology is about as scientific as phrenology or palmistry; ie not at all.

Jacksons backward j might indicate a problem if he's still doing it but its not abnormal at the age he was.

My handwriting is utter crap. I spent several years with teachers demanding I slant one way or another and just generally fudging up what really should have been an easy process simply because I was left-handed. I think I had three different "methods" drilled into me. I eventually got to where I just didn't GAF, and I became a penmanship flunkout. Yes, really. What has resulted is handwriting that includes both printed and cursive letters in a big hodge-podge.

It works. But I hope to goodness I'm never judged by it.

I had a similar experience with the teachers in my grade school ( which, ironically, was also a Christian school ). Hold the paper this way, hold your pencil this way...I'm right-handed but I hold my pencil differently than others probably because of autism-related motor issues. The teachers really didn't get that. They always insisted that I hold it the "right way", even though the "right way" was uncomfortable and made it harder and slower to write. And they always wondered why I took so long to write...Luckily, my family was not so insistant on how I held a pencil as long as my handwriting was readable.

Also, what's up with the Bible verses with some of the Duggars' signatures?

I was always taught that it was a really, really bad idea

People say that, but I don't think it holds up either. You can, as we can see from those examples, write in cursive and sign your name in a clear, legible, easy-to-copy fashion. (You're probably sacrificing speed at the sake of legibility, but that's the price we pay.) Or you can write in print, and sign your name, in a messy, idiosyncratic, hard-to-copy fashion. Many people who habitually write in print will switch to a sort of home-brewed italics when writing quickly (indeed, that's how cursive scripts evolved in the first place), and, again, that can run the gamut between legible, easy-to-copy and impenetrable, hard-to-copy.

Like so many things, I suspect this is an after-the-fact justification for insisting people hew to pre-existing social convention, that is, signing their names in a script-style handwriting. When your eight year old asks "why do I have to learn cursive?" and you don't want to get into an argument as to whether or not it is required as your signature (a story about as accurate as the "pool water changes color when you pee in it" tale), you wrack your brain and whip that one out. Maybe you believe it, it certainly sounds plausible on first glance. And then the kid grows up and repeats the story (plenty of adults believe the one about the pee) because they never doubted it.

Archived