IGNORED

End of World and Fundies

lizziesmom

I have to admit on April 27, 2011 I entertained the notion that the world (as did most of Alabama) was coming to an end because of this:

KLI7aJQvTpg

Skip to the 7:30 mark. Just seconds after the camera feed is lost the church my BFF went to as a kid was leveled. The TV station had a Doppler radar on that site as well. It got blown away. That monster had already been on the ground for 130 miles without lifting. This is the same tornado outbreak that hit Kelly Crawford's house, but she lives further south and was hit by a different tornado. Anybody who can call a monster that killed, injured, an forever changed people as a blessing is nuts.

Well, nuts she is. There is no way Kelly doesn't suffer from an untreated mental illness...

Some of my Facebook friends who live kind of close to Kelly, were outraged by her blog post calling a tornado a blessing. She took an event that killed 238 people in the state of Alabama and made it all about her. She's a selfish narcissistic, condescending bitch! And yeah, I think she suffers from a mental illness on top of all of that.

I grew up assuming that the world would end in the next 20 years. While I stopped truly believing it, when I finally let go of my faith last year I realized how much that belief was still entrenched in the way I thought. It was very odd, though a huge relief, to think that the world will keep going for billions of years.

Other than just being really weird, there are a lot of harmful effects of that belief. I grew up terrified that the world would end and I wouldn't get to experience the rest of my life. I wasn't confident of my salvation either and every time I couldn't immediately find my mom I was really afraid that the rapture had happened and I had been "left behind" on earth without my family. And then of course I felt really guilty for being afraid because as Christians we were supposed to be sure of our salvation and be joyfully anticipating the rapture. Then I see people like my 83-year-old grandmother who refuses to make any plans for the end of her life because she believes Jesus will come first, or my cousin who says she doesn't need to think about future plans like college for her children (oldest is only 7) because she doesn't think we have that much time left.

Wouldn't that kind of belief system lead to a ton of drinking/drugs/random sex? If you think the worlds ending soon I would think teens would go really wild, to get the chance to experience everything.

Oooh, I think we must be sister wives! Mine refuses to take vacation unless he's forced into it. When his company switched their PTO policy to a "use-it-or-lose-it" system he was absolutely gobsmacked. He cannot fathom a vacation that doesn't involve illness of some sort.

Go without him! Thailand is amaaazing, especially when you get way up north, away from the heavy sex-tourism :(. Then take a ferry across the river to Laos and spend a couple of days on a slow boat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. And proceed to eat yourself silly. Lao cuisine is one of the better kept secrets in the world.

Wouldn't that kind of belief system lead to a ton of drinking/drugs/random sex? If you think the worlds ending soon I would think teens would go really wild, to get the chance to experience everything.

I think it's the fear they would get left behind after the rapture/go to hell that dissuades them from doing so.

In case any of you missed it, yesterday the end of the world was in the news. According to a new study, you've only got between 1.75 billion and 3.25 billion years to check everything off your bucket list before the earth goes kaput.

I haven't heard any reaction from Pat Robertson or any other fundie spokesperson to this prediction and was wondering what the general fundie thinks about it. You know, the people who are so convinced that Armageddon is right around the corner.

I didn't thnk it was even that long.I think the fear mongerers and conspiracy theorists are saying only a few yrs left,due to rad. poisoning from Japan.

I think it's the fear they would get left behind after the rapture/go to hell that dissuades them from doing so.

Definitely. There was always that thought that "What if I do [insert sinful behavior] but that's when Jesus comes back?"

Go without him! Thailand is amaaazing, especially when you get way up north, away from the heavy sex-tourism :(. Then take a ferry across the river to Laos and spend a couple of days on a slow boat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. And proceed to eat yourself silly. Lao cuisine is one of the better kept secrets in the world.

That sounds like an awesome trip. There are so many places I want to go. Should've started years ago! :)

If you can go the other way into Cambodia, see if you can arrange a trip on the Bamboo Railway. This handyman's work of genius is due to go the way of the pennyfarthing bike as the Trans-Asian Railway rolls ahead. As of September, the last section still in service ran out of Battambang. Imagine putting an outboard motor on a raft, then putting the raft on wheels (not fastening, just putting), then putting the whole contraption on a train track, sitting on it, and bucketing along at 30 mph. If you meet an oncoming raft, you stop, get off, disassemble your raft, walk the whole thing past the other guys (yes, passengers too), and put it back together.

Archived