IGNORED

End of World and Fundies

lizziesmom

In case any of you missed it, yesterday the end of the world was in the news. According to a new study, you've only got between 1.75 billion and 3.25 billion years to check everything off your bucket list before the earth goes kaput.

I haven't heard any reaction from Pat Robertson or any other fundie spokesperson to this prediction and was wondering what the general fundie thinks about it. You know, the people who are so convinced that Armageddon is right around the corner.

They're all so depressed at the news of the delay of the second coming that they've drawn the shades and retreated to their beds to cry for a while. Don't worry. They'll be back in battle mode as soon as they've had a few cups of tea and reconvinced themselves that the lies of satan influence the "evil scientists", so that news can't possibly be correct.

I guess this means though, that I'd better get to work on my own bucket list. I still haven't been to Morocco or Thailand, and it will probably take me another 1 billion years to convince my husband that his clients can actually live without him, and vacation is good. :)

They think it's ridiculous. Seriously, go check out the Rapture Ready forums. rr-bb.com. Everyone there is convinced that Jesus will be coming any day now. Possibly Tuesday. Wednesday at the latest.

Some of these people have been thinking this for decades.

I guess this means though, that I'd better get to work on my own bucket list. I still haven't been to Morocco or Thailand, and it will probably take me another 1 billion years to convince my husband that his clients can actually live without him, and vacation is good. :)

Oooh, I think we must be sister wives! Mine refuses to take vacation unless he's forced into it. When his company switched their PTO policy to a "use-it-or-lose-it" system he was absolutely gobsmacked. He cannot fathom a vacation that doesn't involve illness of some sort.

They think it's ridiculous. Seriously, go check out the Rapture Ready forums. rr-bb.com. Everyone there is convinced that Jesus will be coming any day now. Possibly Tuesday. Wednesday at the latest.

What if the Rapture itself is a figment of a misreading or misinterpretation of the Book of Revelation?

What if the Rapture itself is a figment of a misreading or misinterpretation of the Book of Revelation?

My hat's off to anyone who can understand the Book of Revelation. I listened to sermons about it for an entire summer and tried repeatedly to read it. Impossible IMO to understand it.

They're all so depressed at the news of the delay of the second coming that they've drawn the shades and retreated to their beds to cry for a while. Don't worry. They'll be back in battle mode as soon as they've had a few cups of tea and reconvinced themselves that the lies of satan influence the "evil scientists", so that news can't possibly be correct.

I hope you're right. I would prefer that to seeing them redouble their efforts to bring about thermonuclear war or catastrophic flooding, hastening the process of making the planet uninhabitable.

Mark 13:32: "But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Christ's own words. What part of that don't fundies get?

I've been a lurker on RR for years. They've been saying that Jesus is coming any day now the entire time. Its laughable. I remember a post a few years ago where a RR member was surprised by a old noise, a particularly bad thunder storm I think, and thought it was signalling the rapture. If I remember right she rounded her kids up ready!

I grew up assuming that the world would end in the next 20 years. While I stopped truly believing it, when I finally let go of my faith last year I realized how much that belief was still entrenched in the way I thought. It was very odd, though a huge relief, to think that the world will keep going for billions of years.

Other than just being really weird, there are a lot of harmful effects of that belief. I grew up terrified that the world would end and I wouldn't get to experience the rest of my life. I wasn't confident of my salvation either and every time I couldn't immediately find my mom I was really afraid that the rapture had happened and I had been "left behind" on earth without my family. And then of course I felt really guilty for being afraid because as Christians we were supposed to be sure of our salvation and be joyfully anticipating the rapture. Then I see people like my 83-year-old grandmother who refuses to make any plans for the end of her life because she believes Jesus will come first, or my cousin who says she doesn't need to think about future plans like college for her children (oldest is only 7) because she doesn't think we have that much time left.

In case any of you missed it, yesterday the end of the world was in the news. According to a new study, you've only got between 1.75 billion and 3.25 billion years to check everything off your bucket list before the earth goes kaput.

I haven't heard any reaction from Pat Robertson or any other fundie spokesperson to this prediction and was wondering what the general fundie thinks about it. You know, the people who are so convinced that Armageddon is right around the corner.

I doubt the average fundie counts that high and Jesus won't let it happen anyway.

Mark 13:32: "But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

QFT.

Well few claim to know the actual date (most fundie responses to Camping used this exact verse), but there are supposedly signs that the end is near. Just off the top of my head the reforming of Israel is a big one, and the gospel has to have been spread to the whole earth. Then there are "wars and rumors of war" and increased natural disasters. People have been seeing these signs for the past two thousand years, but of course we're the first generation to actually get it right.

I especially love the thread about Hollywood making fun of the rapture. One poster was saying they hope the rapture came while people were watching the movie. It would serve the movie goer right to be left alone and behind for seeing a mocking movie on the rapture. Such sweet people over there.

Also, the Pope is the AntiChrist. :think:

Has anyone here seen Rapturepalooza with Anna Kendrick? It's a pretty funny movie with an interesting take on the end of times.

I don't think all fundies believe that,wouldn't that negate their plans for a big family and lots of future gkids?

I know I recall reading the Jeubs said they didn't think they were living in end times,and I thought it would be interesting to know why they thought that,since many take a literal interpretation of the fig tree and Israel in relationship to each other.

As a Christian, for me personally Mark 13:32 is the end of the discussion as far as when the world will end. There have been wars, disasters, disease, and famine since the beginning of time. So, going around looking for "signs" is useless and pointless, and that was the point Jesus was making.

I have to admit that I was kind of pissed that the Rapture didn't come when that tool Harold Camping said it would on May 21, 2011. Not because I believe that rot, but it would have made my commute easier, with fewer cars on I-95 or Rt 202 during the evening rush, when most of the offices were getting of work in Wilmington.

As a Christian, for me personally Mark 13:32 is the end of the discussion as far as when the world will end. There have been wars, disasters, disease, and famine since the beginning of time. So, going around looking for "signs" is useless and pointless, and that was the point Jesus was making.

Also QFT. In addition there is Jesus' rather pointed reminder that no matter when He returns, we'd better be doing the work He assigned us. You know, feeding the hungry, healing the sick, visiting those who are for whatever reason confined, clothing the naked . . .

Also QFT. In addition there is Jesus' rather pointed reminder that no matter when He returns, we'd better be doing the work He assigned us. You know, feeding the hungry, healing the sick, visiting those who are for whatever reason confined, clothing the naked . . .

EXACTLY! And this is the complete opposite of what fundies are doing. How someone like Chad Paine's dad can close his medical practice for stuffing envelopes for Gothard and think it's more godly or Christ-like boggles my mind.

I've been a lurker on RR for years. They've been saying that Jesus is coming any day now the entire time. Its laughable. I remember a post a few years ago where a RR member was surprised by a old noise, a particularly bad thunder storm I think, and thought it was signalling the rapture. If I remember right she rounded her kids up ready!

Oh my god. As a child I was very, very scared of storms (for non-rapture related reasons). I think if my own mom had told me a storm could be signalling the END OF THE WORLD I would have just died of anxiety.

Oh my god. As a child I was very, very scared of storms (for non-rapture related reasons). I think if my own mom had told me a storm could be signalling the END OF THE WORLD I would have just died of anxiety.

Ugh, I'd always worry that a particularly bad storm meant the end of the world (I'd worry even more though when the sun shone through the clouds to get that beams of light effect. I guess all the illustrations of Jesus coming back had him on a cloud with beams of light. :lol: ). I know a lot of people who had the same fears as kids (and some even as adults). My mom even talks about how afraid of the rapture she was as a kid, but yet she passed it on to her kids anyway.

I have to admit on April 27, 2011 I entertained the notion that the world (as did most of Alabama) was coming to an end because of this:

KLI7aJQvTpg

Skip to the 7:30 mark. Just seconds after the camera feed is lost the church my BFF went to as a kid was leveled. The TV station had a Doppler radar on that site as well. It got blown away. That monster had already been on the ground for 130 miles without lifting. This is the same tornado outbreak that hit Kelly Crawford's house, but she lives further south and was hit by a different tornado. Anybody who can call a monster that killed, injured, an forever changed people as a blessing is nuts.

I'd worry even more though when the sun shone through the clouds to get that beams of light effect. I guess all the illustrations of Jesus coming back had him on a cloud with beams of light.

Me too!!! I'd immediately start praying because I was scared that the end of the world would happen before I could get all my sins forgiven. Seriously, no matter where I was or what I was doing, I'd just freeze and start praying like crazy. I had to have looked like a nut. I do feel a little better, though, because I thought I was the only one that had this reaction to the clouds/beams of light thing.

Oh, and this is my first post. Hi everyone!

Archived