IGNORED

New Polygamy Shows:"Breaking Faith" & "Escaping the Prophet"

Two new shows featuring polygamy will premier this fall. According to the NY Post:

“Breaking The Faith†and “Escaping the Prophet†will both deal with FLDS (Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) — whose followers practice polygamy — and, by extension, with Warren Jeffs, its ex-president who’s serving life in prison for sexually assaulting two young girls.

You can read the whole article here: http://nypost.com/2013/09/24/tlc-tackli ... sial-flds/

I am pretty interested in watching these new shows!I hope Polygamy USA is back for a second season!

(Edited to fix typo)

TLC is really going balls to the wall with the fundamentalist thing these days. I guess the Browns really are done and they need a new pony for people to gawk at.

LOL. I have read at some other sites that people believe TLC is throwing the Browns under the bus to get better ratings(a la Kate plus 8).

I just keep hoping for a special on "Escaping the Cult of Gothard." I am not going to lie, I am thrilled to watch two more polygamy shows.

Additionally, Sister Wives Blog is hinting about another polygamy special(sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/tlc-tackling-controversial-flds.html#comment-form).

LOL. I have read at some other sites that people believe TLC is throwing the Browns under the bus to get better ratings(a la Kate plus 8).

I just keep hoping for a special on "Escaping the Cult of Gothard." I am not going to lie, I am thrilled to watch two more polygamy shows.

Additionally, Sister Wives Blog is hinting about another polygamy special(sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/tlc-tackling-controversial-flds.html#comment-form).

I'm the same way.

Why TLC!! TLC wants every show to have a "storyline" and sure twists the truth. Nat Geo did a great job with polygamy USA. My husband spent a lot of his growing up in CP and short creek (CC) and still works out there sometimes and Polygamy USA is the realest of the polygamy shows for sure. I have meet people on both shows and Arthur was Arthur in person, no different then tv. The sister wives were different then the show. Kids are wild and the one that surprised me was Meri. Nicest of the bunch for sure.

They do need a escape from Gothard show. While it is good to show the polygamy side of life, the FLDS is relatively small and shrinking. Gothard and the offshoots have many more followers, many just joining up, and are growing in numbers.

I'm also hoping there's a second season of Polygamy USA and I do plan to watch those shows about the FLDS cult. I'm actually reading the book The Witness Wore Red, and it's another good book about the FLDS cult.

• 1 month later...

Of course I have no hope TLC will tell the truth. So far from the constant previews, the show is a re-inactment of events that happened years ago. It should be more of a movie with follow up commentary , then a series. I would be fine if TLC said this is the story of what happened years ago, because I believe that all abusive situations that involve religions should be brought to light.

Personally, I can't wait. The more stories we hear about people successfully getting away from Warren Jeffs, the better and the FLDS, the better.

I think the breaking the faith is being done in the same way as breaking Amish. Lots of half truths and ommitted facts. Ex flds pretending to be leaving for the first time. Do you remember on breaking Amish they all were amazed by a light switch? What's a microwave? Lol give me a break

I saw a woman on instagram wearing a flds dress. She was an actress and filming a segment for one of these shows. Doing reenactments I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the first episode of Breaking the Faith.

The uncovered weird pressed wood floors reminded me of the old Life in a Shoe house.

That can't be safe.

Meh, not impressed. This seems exactly like amish mafia and pretty scripted. Women trying to escape with the help on excommunicated men... Its a big secret, but TLC was there to film it and help them start a new life.

Weird images of women polishing hundred of pictures of Jeffs... yeah, TLC was there to film it.

I believe the boys were kicked out, but I'm not so sure what the deal is with the women and the "plan."

I'm actually really worried about this show. In the previews, it shows Carolyn Jessop helping the girls to adjust to the outside world, and I really, really, really don't want to think about her being part of something that's Breaking Amish levels of bad.

That said, some of the shots were so melodramatic, it was hard not to start laughing. Yes, let's film this girl standing in the middle of an empty room, looking stoic with serious music. That's a wonderful idea.

I just hope there's no "Amish gone wild" sort of exploitation like there was in Breaking Amish.

That was the part of Breaking Amish (both original and LA) that disturbed me the most. On the original's reunion show, Sabrina describes being drunk, having Jeremiah start to have sex with her, and then pushing him away and saying no. On the LA version, they have footage of some sort of drunken threesome.

There's no sign of any producers stepping out and saying, "hey, stop, sex without proper consent is RAPE!" No, they put these young men and women together, even though some are strangers to each other, they know that some of them are naive and vulnerable, and they just film what happens and let the girls deal with some major fallout and slut-shaming without doing a thing to protect or help them.

Some of the girls on Breaking Faith have relatively short hair. The women of the faith never cut their hair. This is a dead giveaway for the show being fake. Why do people fall for this?

If anyone is looking for an accurate show about polygamy I recommend, "What Love Is This." It is a public access show in Utah. Doris the host can be a little annoying but the show is full of first hand accounts of former polygamy members. The most current episode features Shanell Snow, a former polygamist from the Kingston group. She is the sister of Kollene Snow, who appeared on TLC's Sister Wives. Kollene has also been a guest on "What Love Is This."

whatloveisthis.tv/archive.htm

I've been forgetting to set my DVR to record this show. I'm disappointed that it seems like Breaking Amish type situation. I did see previews the other day for the episode that featured Carolyn Jessop.

It's ridiculously fake.

Here's a great perspective:

politicsrusprinciple.tumblr.com/post/68723648381/longer-breaking-the-faith-review

Sad because they don't need to fake it in order to have an interesting show, but I predict within 2 episodes its *trying alcohol for the first time* and *kissing* and everything else that was contrived for breaking amish.

It's ridiculously fake.

Here's a great perspective:

politicsrusprinciple.tumblr.com/post/68723648381/longer-breaking-the-faith-review

Sad because they don't need to fake it in order to have an interesting show, but I predict within 2 episodes its *trying alcohol for the first time* and *kissing* and everything else that was contrived for breaking amish.

Yes it is sad. I have been down there. There is no way in hell that a film crew could have followed an unmarried girl into an empty house. There is an FLDS owned security camera system all over the place. The church would know and go out of its way to kick the film crew out of town and punish the girl.

I'll never understand that. I think these young people's stories (as well as the Breaking Amish crew) are interesting enough that a reality show could be built around them even if they're well out of the religion. Listening to Matt & Zack talk about their opinions and experiences of the church was fascinating. On the second episode, seeing some of the girls' reactions to the truth about why Warren is in prison and meeting Carolyn Jessop was fascinating. They may've been faking the timeline there, but I don't think any of them are accomplished enough actresses to have faked those emotions. I don't know why TLC insists on all the fakery and smoke and mirrors.

Yes, the outrage over Breaking Amish was great. But then everybody wanted to hear about their real stories. You're always going to get the rebels and type As to do reality tv. It would have been better if they were just honest and said they have been conflicted about their faith, but never really left their community, which was I think the point. Ex-Amish kids who never left Lancaster in NYC was still fun.

Same with flds. Why not just say first epis are reenacted. They're out of FLDS but still in Short Creek. As long as they're there they still are under the control and influence of the prophet and families. Now they're leaving. Still interesting.

That being said, I'm still obsessed with all things Mormon polygamist!

Archived