IGNORED

FRC: Hunger creates good Christians

And very ticked off people!

Certainly they don't feel more Christian when hungry.They feel like no ones cares.Not even God.

Poverty destabizes society. Folks feel like they have nothing left to lose. Those who have nothing left to lose tend to lose it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poverty destabizes society. Folks feel like they have nothing left to lose. Those who have nothing left to lose tend to lose it.

Yep, just ask any country with large numbers of impoverished people. No one ever seems to notice that places like Norway where there is a social safety net are stable vs. Somalia where there is total anarchy that this might have something to do with the poverty and education.

I'm really worried...asshats like Josh are going to bring this country down. Creating millions of hungry, undereducated people is a GREAT idea for preserving the American way of life. :evil:

I understand that various parts of the Bible can be interpreted in a variety of ways. That is why there are so many different denominations in Christianity. However, I dare those simians at the FRC to outline a Biblical basis for telling the poor to fuck off and go to church.

Extra credit if they can come up with a Biblical mandate that forbids governments from trying to alleviate poverty. Because interpretation is one thing, but trying to marry Jesus to Ayn Rand is a whole other kettle of BLASPHEMY.

I just signed the petition. These people remind me of A Christmas Carol, and Scrooge's attitude that it's better for poor people to die so they can "decrease the surplus population." Unfortunately, I don't see these assholes having a change of heart as Scrooge did by the end of that story.

I grew up hungry and it's a large part of why I quit going to church. No reasonable and loving god would prove some dumb point by making a child go to bed with a stomachache from having nothing to eat, and fuck anyone who thinks otherwise. It's not a lesson, it's not bettering, it's not didactic. It makes you feel unworthy and low and small.

What the fuck ever, FRC. I hope none of your children ever know food insecurity.

I recall eating whatever I could at times,bc it was all we had.I didn't worry about whether it was good for me or not.All you have is all you have.Even a bag of skittles was something.I also froze tea and juice and ate them w a spoon,just to have something to 'eat'.

I think the worst was having to eat something over a yr old out of the freezer,which was freezer burnt,and also some old rice that I couldn't ever get soft,no matter how long I cooked it.Then there was the time I had nothing but some sprinkles that go on top of cupcakes for dinner.No cupcakes,mind you,just the sprinkles.sigh.I can't believe ppl throw food out.

I grew up hungry and it's a large part of why I quit going to church. No reasonable and loving god would prove some dumb point by making a child go to bed with a stomachache from having nothing to eat, and fuck anyone who thinks otherwise. It's not a lesson, it's not bettering, it's not didactic. It makes you feel unworthy and low and small.

What the fuck ever, FRC. I hope none of your children ever know food insecurity.

I wonder what the fundies would say about that.That the child wasn't Holy enough,wasn't favored by God...what.Any fundies here,I would really like to know.

I wonder what the fundies would say about that.That the child wasn't Holy enough,wasn't favored by God...what.Any fundies here,I would really like to know.

I expect they would pull out something like "The sins of the fathers being visited on their children" out of context and completely stupid.

And, to the idea that poverty is destabilizing-- I think they know this and believe that if they can pull the safety net away, and kill public schools, etc, they can put in place a few Christian Taliban schools (with Lunches) and teach boys the dominionist way. I know this sounds all "conspiracy theory" but I hear what they say and see what they do.

I also continue to believe that a lot of people want instability because they think there will be a revolution in which they will finally be recognized for what they are and they will be leaders of a brave new world of perfection....

They always seem to assume they won't be in the mass grave that always seems to accompany revolutions.

Sorry to double post, but I thought this was interesting.

76% of SNAP households included a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person. These vulnerable households receive 83% of all SNAP benefits.

SNAP eligibility is limited to households with gross income of no more than 130% of the federal poverty guideline, but the majority of households have income well below the maximum: 83% of SNAP households have gross income at or below 100% of the poverty guideline ($19,530 for a family of 3 in 2013), and these households receive about 91% of all benefits. 61% of SNAP households have gross income at or below 75% of the poverty guideline ($14,648 for a family of 3 in 2013).[ii]

The average SNAP household has a gross monthly income of $744; net monthly income of $338 after the standard deduction and, for certain households, deductions for child care, medical expenses, and shelter costs; and countable resources of $331, such as a bank account.[iii]

http://feedingamerica.org/how-we-fight- ... ities.aspx

I can't believe Republicans constantly want to cut food benefits, sigh.

What I can't believe is that anyone in a SNAP household votes Republican but they do.

Edited to add: Please find the link in this thread to the petition to TLC to take the Duggars off the air. As of now there are only 50 signatures. FJers we can do better.

The sad part us the red states use more government support then blue states even more then they put into the system. So they vote for less for themselves while sucking like a starving infant at a teat.

Nope, it doesn't make good Christians. I know what it does, because of really restrictive dieting that got out of control for about eighteen months at one time. And now I'm worried about food insecurity again. Partner withdrew from law school for now for health reasons, and all her loans were refunded. So I have to support us both on my loans, while she looks for a job. I already spend 2/3 of my income on rent (have to live in the middle of the city to be close to school) and go to all the lunch/networking events I can and ask my family for groceries, but things are still really tight.

She's a really good cook, but there's only so much you can stretch. I'm going to ask her to bring her stock of whatever food is left at her place when she moves, but I'm worried for us. May end up eating ramen and butter noodles a lot of the time. After rent and used textbooks, I have about 600/month for everything else, which goes fast in the city.

So, hunger:

-Makes me have to eat what's cheap and there, even if it's not healthy or right for me (I'm recovering from some problems with eating, so I need a nutrient-dense diet, and several cheap foods, as well as cow's milk, give me stomach problems as a result). I also earn rewards points through Lexis and get Amazon and Starbucks cards for it, but the food/drinks I can get that way aren't too healthy.

-Makes it harder to concentrate. Even if I'm not hungry, I'm always thinking about what I/we will eat next, when I really need to be focusing on classes, internship, and my law journal.

-It stresses relationships and is destabilizing overall. I yelled at her for snacking on my cereal yesterday while visiting, because I needed it for breakfast, but she was hungry.

-It exacerbates any illnesses, mental or physical (worrying worsens anxiety for both of us, and I have a really bad sprain and a cold right now that are taking forever to clear up. I'd do better with a better diet). It also makes things harder to treat, since you have to decide between healthcare and food. I have a problem with heartburn/reflux, but haven't been seen because I'm already spending $45/month on medicine and can't afford more.

-It makes you feel undignified. No one really knows I worry about this. My best friend's family is pretty wealthy, and he's loaned Partner money before, but I'd feel terrible if I went to him and said "we can barely feed ourselves." I don't mention it at church, either, though I always make sure to go to the monthly after-church lunches and eat all I can. And taking leftovers from a student event or sneaking food from a seminar or networking away in your bag is just humiliating. I don't even want to ask friends for their Lexis points.

-It messes with your metabolism. At school events (law schools host so many lunch events that if you plan right, you only need packed lunch 2 days a week or so), I tend to "load up" with more than I need or want at the time, in the hope that I won't be hungry later if I do. Then other times, there's nothing. The feast and famine aspects are just weird.

-I also worry that people will judge, because we have new-ish computers, nice clothes, home Internet, and Netflix. The first three are necessities for school and work, and Netflix is cheaper than cable, and aside from reading and computer games (that were a gift), it's our entertainment. I also drink a lot of Starbucks, etc. because I get gift cards thru Lexis and work, and sleep so little sometimes I just NEED the really strong drinks. People look at that, and would think we're moochers.

Sorry for the rant. I just don't know how we're going to make ends meet.

I was once in a similar situation, a broke grad student. And what save me were: 1- i was lucky that my friend who took me in his c ar to costco and let me buy under his membership (this happened once evry 4 month). I was able to buy several staples at prices cheaper than manhattan.

2- i learn to cook cheap but healthy food: rice and beans, dal, lentil stew, sweet potato soup, gnochhis, etc. Once you know how to make these, it takes very little effort. I would made my own pita bread also.

3- never felt guilty about taking all kind of leftover from events but I was not a law student so maybe it is different in that case.

4 there are tons of groceries available at amazon. And nowthey have their subscribe program that has very cheap prices and you do not pay any shipping. That is how I get my 0% sugar cereal.

See, a lot of people in law school are, if not rich, at least well-off enough to have nice, new apartments and go out to drink two or three times a week. And if they can't pay summer rent, their families will. It's a class thing. There are less of us that have trouble, and there's a ton of emphasis on reputation. So it makes me very self-conscious.

I have to figure out this cooking thing though, because even my "staples" are expensive. I have to buy soy or almond milk, and I figured out I physiologically need to eat meat. Went practically vegetarian when I was on my really severe dieting kick, and now I feel like crap if I don't try to make up whatever it is I need that's in meat. I also need vitamins. It's just that I don't know where to cut while also taking care of my health.

I expect they would pull out something like "The sins of the fathers being visited on their children" out of context and completely stupid.

And, to the idea that poverty is destabilizing-- I think they know this and believe that if they can pull the safety net away, and kill public schools, etc, they can put in place a few Christian Taliban schools (with Lunches) and teach boys the dominionist way. I know this sounds all "conspiracy theory" but I hear what they say and see what they do.

I also continue to believe that a lot of people want instability because they think there will be a revolution in which they will finally be recognized for what they are and they will be leaders of a brave new world of perfection....

They always seem to assume they won't be in the mass grave that always seems to accompany revolutions.

Thanks,that sounds likely.Yes I think this whole fundy thing is a conspiracy;the good thing is it won't work financially.And that's just for starters.I can't imagine an America where all wives and moms stay home,have a large brood,no gov't assist,on one income where the patriarch runs his own business.Most home businesses fail.They should look into the stats on that.

It seems like everytime one of these "Christian" groups issue a statement these days it is at least 180 degrees from what Christ (you know, the guy the religion is about) preached and taught. All I can say is karma can be a bitch and when some of the judgmental ones are without food, electricity or other necessities due to some tragedy in their lives (cancer and massive bills perhaps?) I hope they are rewarded accordingly.

Part of me wants to agree, and the other part tells me that to wish for bad things to happen makes me just as bad as they are. As I type this the part that agrees is winning.

See, a lot of people in law school are, if not rich, at least well-off enough to have nice, new apartments and go out to drink two or three times a week. And if they can't pay summer rent, their families will. It's a class thing. There are less of us that have trouble, and there's a ton of emphasis on reputation. So it makes me very self-conscious.

I have to figure out this cooking thing though, because even my "staples" are expensive. I have to buy soy or almond milk, and I figured out I physiologically need to eat meat. Went practically vegetarian when I was on my really severe dieting kick, and now I feel like crap if I don't try to make up whatever it is I need that's in meat. I also need vitamins. It's just that I don't know where to cut while also taking care of my health.

Please explore the Food Bank options in your area and use them. Tell your pride to fuck right off. One day you will be a lawyer and you can pay it back.

If you create a thread in Quiver Full of Hobbies, subsection "food" and list your staples, some of us may be able to help you think of different ways to use them to max your nutrition.

Please explore the Food Bank options in your area and use them. Tell your pride to fuck right off. One day you will be a lawyer and you can pay it back.

If you create a thread in Quiver Full of Hobbies, subsection "food" and list your staples, some of us may be able to help you think of different ways to use them to max your nutrition.

What Jo said, lawlife. There's no shame in needing help. And don't worry about your classmates' financial situations. If anything, I think your current hardships are part of what will make you a mature, wise lawyer because you will understand the experiences of many of your clients.

What Jo said, lawlife. There's no shame in needing help. And don't worry about your classmates' financial situations. If anything, I think your current hardships are part of what will make you a mature, wise lawyer because you will understand the experiences of many of your clients.

Thirded. I really like the idea of having a How to Eat for Cheap thread in QFoH/Food... I have some resources and tips I could share and I'm always willing to pick up other ones (we are in the midst of my husband's PhD and thankfully two small kids = food assistance, no questions asked... otherwise there'd be major trouble).

Archived