IGNORED

FRC: Hunger creates good Christians

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

countessrascal, your post reminded me of why Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC aka Welfare) was set up during the 30s. It was set up by the government so that mothers of small children who were the only support of their families would NOT have to leave their children and go out and try to find work during the Depression. It was a way of caring for those "widows and orphans" that the bible talks so much about.

I found another salon.com article today worth adding to this thread: "The Five Least Christian Things Ever Said by Christians."

salon.com/2013/09/24/the_5_least_christian_things_ever_said_by_christians/

In addition to Ken Blackwell's insensitive idiocy, there's also a quote from none other than our own Kevin Swanson, to the effect that Christians should tell gay couples to die on their wedding day.

Yea verily, sunshine is indeed the best disinfectant!

They're so pro-life that they are happy to let people die rather than spend money to feed them. Too bad we can't all live off of the pretzels they are making with their attempt at logic.

Hmm, really? I seem to recall that when Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes he didn't say, "Okay, but you guys have to EARN this first. No free hand-outs here!"

Again and again in the Bible, from the first book to the last, we read God's command to help the poor. Not the deserving poor, not the pious poor, not the nice poor, not even the poor who can prove residency: just anybody who is poor. The only stipulation I have ever been able to find is in one of the Epistles, and even this applies only to members of one's own congregation: If somebody can work and won't, they don't get support. People outside the congregation are under no such restriction! And IIRC, that one bit of advice is from Paul, not divine revelation, according to Paul himself.

Basically God is too much of a wishy-washy liberal for a good American fundamentalist Christian. MAH TAX DOLLAZ!

The Rev Cook (quoted from the Right Wing Watch article, which I think is a reprint of the Christian Post) says it all:

So, the cuts would double the burden on charities to pick up the slack. The FRC needs to disappear.

My parish is full of people on fixed incomes, people supporting dependents, people supporting dependents who are going to die not join the economy, people who already qualify for food aid--how the hell are the rest of us supposed to replace all that just for our own members, let alone everyone else? And we're not from an unusually economically depressed area--actually we're pretty well off for the U.S.

People like this make me wish I had a Death Note. The worst part is, this idiotic rhetoric gets repeated by my parents. These are the people who are only able to stay in their home because my dad got Social Security disability after his job basically destroyed half of his heart and severely damaged his lungs. The only reason why I will be graduating this December is because I was able to get Pell Grants to meet my tuition costs I couldn't cover with my part time retail job. That money from the government is okay, but people on welfare and SNAP are lazy moochers in their view. It's such an idiotic, illogical worldview, but there's basically nothing that can be done to break them from it. And yes, of course, they are devoted viewers and listeners of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and all of the rest of the usual suspects.

I don't get the logic of a lot of people nowadays. My mother is a right-wing Republican Christian conservative who thinks government spending is out of control...

...who lives in government-subsidized housing with housing grants that cut back her rent, gets food stamps, lives off of Social Security, is on Medicare/Medicaid, and is on disability due to her inability to work because of a degenerative disease.

Everything she gets is from taxpayers, and yet she thinks that people shouldn't have to pay for that sort of thing. Hypocrisy, ho!

I don't get the logic of a lot of people nowadays. My mother is a right-wing Republican Christian conservative who thinks government spending is out of control...

...who lives in government-subsidized housing with housing grants that cut back her rent, gets food stamps, lives off of Social Security, is on Medicare/Medicaid, and is on disability due to her inability to work because of a degenerative disease.

Everything she gets is from taxpayers, and yet she thinks that people shouldn't have to pay for that sort of thing. Hypocrisy, ho!

I know a few people who are like your mom. I have an aunt by marriage who became disabled 20 years ago due to a car accident. She had neck and back injuries that caused injuries. My aunt worked off and on in the years prior to the accident and she doesn't collect a huge amount of disability. She is Republican who constantly talks government spending being out of control and one of her daughters constantly rants on FB about welfare, food stamps, and other forms of assistance.

When can I expect the FRC staff to live by their own wisdom and begin going hungry? Any takers? Josh?

Joshie boy would never do it. I know it has been discussed that food was probably limited per child when Josh was growing up, but I don't know it would matter to him now. He has been taught by Boob and Mullet that government assistance is evil. Josh really doesn't know how good he has it. There are some married fathers and husbands who have degrees or vocational training who are struggling to get or find work, while Josh gets a lot of things handed to him on a platter.

When Josh was growing up, the family received help from their church. But churches can only do so much. Some churches will refer people they are helping to government agencies or other non-profits. My aunt worked for Catholic Charities in the 80s and 90s and she would get referrals from different church leaders who were having trouble helping out people in need.

Josh will never go hungry.Jim Bob flaunts his 20+ pizzas on the show when they order for events,and if this were Josh or Jim bob who needed the food,they would be the first ones to be whooping and hollering.hypocrites.

How are these ppl supposed to feed their families? Even the food banks like Crisis Control (I know,i live in NC) have empty shelves.

Churches can only do so much.They can't make up for the loss.'

I hate FRC.

Yes,there is a petition at change.org you can sign if you want the show to end.I know,I signed it.

I know a lot of people like that, and I bet she says "I worked all my life!" which implies they are entitled to what their taxes paid for but of course other people collecting it are just welfare queens. This is what my mother thinks. She also said she has paid more into the system than she has gotten out of it. I told her that will change when I put her into a state run nursing home :)

Josh will never go hungry.Jim Bob flaunts his 20+ pizzas on the show when they order for events,and if this were Josh or Jim bob who needed the food,they would be the first ones to be whooping and hollering.hypocrites.

How are these ppl supposed to feed their families? Even the food banks like Crisis Control (I know,i live in NC) have empty shelves.

I hate FRC.

Yes,there is a petition at change.org you can sign if you want the show to end.I know,I signed it.

Do you have a link? I'd be glad to both sign it and share it on my Facebook page. Thanks!

When seeing the hungry multitudes waiting to learn from him Jesus said "Fuck them. They really should have planned better. Plus starving will build strong character. It will do them good."

From the right wing conservative Christian Bible.

I hate FRC.

Josh will never go hungry and I agree with that. I think at least one Duggar kid will end up needing government assistance later on and I can see it being one of the girls or the younger boys. Josh doesn't realize that before TLC came into the picture, Mullet would have been considered a high risk for needing assistance if Boob died or became disabled. Anna right now can considered high risk if something was to happen to Josh. In that episode last year when Boob and Josh went to the doctor, Anna said that she wanted Josh to get healthy for the well being of their family. I give Josh credit for losing weight, but at the same time Anna doesn't realize that other things can happen to Josh. There are also been families that have faced financial hardships because the wife/mother becomes ill or disabled.

I also bet that Josh or FRC doesn't deeply research how churches operate when it comes to assistance. In some older threads here, posters were trying to figure out which church the Duggars used to attend. Boob and Mullet admitted to getting help in interviews and I doubt Josh has asked them about the process. I know that some churches have limits to give help. A friend of mine belonged to a church pastored by her uncle and they would give bill assistance for three months to people who applied. A lot of churches have their own financial troubles and sometimes the only help they can give is through clothing drives or food or meal drives for people in need.

People like this make me wish I had a Death Note. The worst part is, this idiotic rhetoric gets repeated by my parents. These are the people who are only able to stay in their home because my dad got Social Security disability after his job basically destroyed half of his heart and severely damaged his lungs. The only reason why I will be graduating this December is because I was able to get Pell Grants to meet my tuition costs I couldn't cover with my part time retail job. That money from the government is okay, but people on welfare and SNAP are lazy moochers in their view. It's such an idiotic, illogical worldview, but there's basically nothing that can be done to break them from it. And yes, of course, they are devoted viewers and listeners of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and all of the rest of the usual suspects.

I will never forget reading an article about people going to the grocery store at midnight, right as their stamps are loading for the month. They interviewed on gentleman on food stamps who said he hadn't eaten in 3 days, because the food ran out and food stamps don't cover nearly enough. He then said, "I don't know why all these other people are here."

Erm, the exact same reason you are, asshat.

Josh will never go hungry and I agree with that. I think at least one Duggar kid will end up needing government assistance later on and I can see it being one of the girls or the younger boys. Josh doesn't realize that before TLC came into the picture, Mullet would have been considered a high risk for needing assistance if Boob died or became disabled. Anna right now can considered high risk if something was to happen to Josh. In that episode last year when Boob and Josh went to the doctor, Anna said that she wanted Josh to get healthy for the well being of their family. I give Josh credit for losing weight, but at the same time Anna doesn't realize that other things can happen to Josh. There are also been families that have faced financial hardships because the wife/mother becomes ill or disabled.

I also bet that Josh or FRC doesn't deeply research how churches operate when it comes to assistance. In some older threads here, posters were trying to figure out which church the Duggars used to attend. Boob and Mullet admitted to getting help in interviews and I doubt Josh has asked them about the process. I know that some churches have limits to give help. A friend of mine belonged to a church pastored by her uncle and they would give bill assistance for three months to people who applied. A lot of churches have their own financial troubles and sometimes the only help they can give is through clothing drives or food or meal drives for people in need.

I doubt Josh and the FRC deeply research anything.

My ex-BF was like that too. He was signing on and never got a job the entire two years I knew him (we're talking 2006 - 2008, so pre-Brit recession). He'd done a teaching course and still needed one more qualification towards it, but this would have meant getting some sort of temporary job to fund this, and he refused to do this as he "hadn't spent all those years getting a degree just to work in a pub!" I'd say to him, "But Mark, nobody's saying you have to work in a pub or a shop forever, it's only temporary while you work towards what you actually want to do". But that still wasn't a good enough reason for him to "lower himself", and yet he'd slag off his housemates, calling them scroungers on the basis that they weren't white or British. They all had jobs and worked fucking hard except him - doing the minimum wage jobs he thought he was too good for! (In my defence, when I met him, he didn't exactly have a sign on his head stating that he was a racist hypocrite)...

Archived