IGNORED

Abigail: Four Months w/o Hot Water

GeoBQn

IIRC, Abigail's husband Jon works somewhere in D.C. and he commutes there. Maybe he could commute via train. I do know a few low income families with two cars. In those cases, the cars are older and usually one car isn't used that much. I won't snark on Abigail for having two cars. But the mini-fridge thing is just stupid for a few reasons.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Northern IN and I know a lot of poorer people with two cars. No bus here, no train, no taxi. You can walk but it might be quite a distance. We just got our second car after 6 years of marriage with the first, mostly because we're expecting number three and three carseats can't fit in our car. Not liking the car payments again but...

I live in Northern IN and I know a lot of poorer people with two cars. No bus here, no train, no taxi. You can walk but it might be quite a distance. We just got our second car after 6 years of marriage with the first, mostly because we're expecting number three and three carseats can't fit in our car. Not liking the car payments again but...

I know a lot of poor people with 2 cars also, or a car and a truck is more likely. We have the same environment, no public transportation, closest town is 20 miles away. We didn't get a 2nd car until we adopted our first child, 8 years into our marriage. My current car is 12 years old.

Is Abigail also a hoarder? The reasoning sounds similar.

Also know many lower income folks with multiple cars; because they are all older and unreliable, so if you have various ones, at least one works at any given time. Also, no local mass transit of any sort.

I don't think Abigail is a food hoarder, I remember she justified getting rid of the large fridge because she said it would lead to food hoarding. In today's post Abigail reveals that they bought a new TV last weekend and she also said they have watched Friday Night Lights on Netflix. I wonder if Abigail blew a gasket because of a certain storyline in season 4.

Why on earth would she buy a new TV when they need a water heater?! Take that $229 and put it toward the water heater! You're not the only one who has to deal with not having hot water, Abigail, your kids are being subjected to this. Get rid of your Netflix. $7.99 a month doesn't seem like much but over a year it adds up to almost a hundred dollars. But see, Abigail, your problem is that you secretly enjoy the cold showers because they make you feel holy. The REAL penance for you would to stop making shit financial decisions, get rid of TV and Netflix, and strictly budget so that, for the sake of your children, you can have a regular fridge, food in the cupboards, and hot running water.

Why on earth would she buy a new TV when they need a water heater?! Take that $229 and put it toward the water heater! You're not the only one who has to deal with not having hot water, Abigail, your kids are being subjected to this.

If I had to choose between hot water and TV hot water would win every time. As a matter of fact I have a TV but it hasn't been turned in in almost 2 years.

I can give Abigail a pass on having Netflix. Based on her saying that they bought a new TV leads me to believe that her father will be the one getting them a new water heater.

I would definitely give her a pass on Netflix if she weren't so determined to show off how poor she is and how much she's willing to give up enjoyable things for Jesus. The truth is that she's not. She keeps TV, she keeps Netflix, she goes to cafes, she rents a cello. She's not willing to give up the things she actually enjoys so that her family can have a comfortable life.

I don't give her a pass on Netflix at all. This woman claims she often struggles with food insecurity. She has half a dozen kids and no intention of stopping. The deserve to know there's food in the house more than she deserves to be entertained.

The tv is just fucking ridiculous. Take a close look at what she said in that post:

Winter is coming. We needed to buy more electric heaters for the house.

In other words, she needs to ensure that her children are sufficiently warm during the winter.

I get gripe of fear thinking "this is too much money to spend" when buying a normal amount of food at Aldi's.)

In other words, having a normal amount of food in the house is a struggle for their ever (purposely) growing family.

I'm hand wringing my laundry because my ancient washer has an almost non-existent spin cycle.

In other words, the washer is on it's last legs and her father will soon have to buy her a new one.

Finally:

There are dozens of needs for my household but I decided I "needed" a TV.

I like to lay in bed and watch TV. It's comforting to me, like drinking ginger ale.

See the theme here? It's the same with all of her posts. "I", "I", "I", "I". It's all about Abigail's wants over what her family needs. She knows they have needs but she likes to lay in bed and watch tv (when she should be homeschooling her kids) damnit!

It's time for her to grow the hell up! She needs to get off her ass, put those kids in school, and get a job. They are in financial ruin and her sitting on that blog going back and forth between whining about POVERTY 11!!!11 / we bought a new TV isn't going to cut it.

:angry-banghead:

With Abigial, I can understand her having Netflix since they were watching it on the computer, but I don't think they should have a bought a TV. I agree with singsing, on the cafes and renting the cello. Wasn't she paying $60 to rent the cello?

The Amish have full size fridges and freezers. They run on propane. There are also propane light fixtures. If you want to see all the really cool non electric stuff go to www.lehmans.com. You can get canning lids by the gross

I got this popcorn popper called a WhiryPop, hat is so much fin.

The Amish live very comfortably without electricity

The Amish have full size fridges and freezers. They run on propane. There are also propane light fixtures. If you want to see all the really cool non electric stuff go to http://www.lehmans.com. You can get canning lids by the gross

ep

I got this popcorn popper called a WhiryPop, hat is so much fin.

The Amish live very comfortably without electricity

Depends on the group. Some allow it, some don't.

Depends on the group. Some allow it, some don't.

Yes, apparently where I live they don't. I shop at Amish scratch and dent groceries and there aren't light fixtures in the 5 or so shops I go to. It's just sunlight from large shop windows or candle light on dark days. There are no refrigeration units. (Those stores are awesome, though! All kinds of name brand foods and natural whole foods type foods for under a dollar a box/can/unit. Sometimes a quarter! Abigail should look into it. Lol)

Some don't allow it publicly, but that doesn't mean people don't sneak it. It also doesn't mean they don't have gas generators in their basements to power their full size fridges and stoves....and charge their cell phones. lol Our Amish friends don't have lights in their leather shop, but they do have a freezer, stove, etc. in the house that run off the generator.

I don't give her a pass on Netflix at all. This woman claims she often struggles with food insecurity. She has half a dozen kids and no intention of stopping. The deserve to know there's food in the house more than she deserves to be entertained.

The tv is just fucking ridiculous. Take a close look at what she said in that post:

In other words, she needs to ensure that her children are sufficiently warm during the winter.

In other words, having a normal amount of food in the house is a struggle for their ever (purposely) growing family.

In other words, the washer is on it's last legs and her father will soon have to buy her a new one.

Finally:

See the theme here? It's the same with all of her posts. "I", "I", "I", "I". It's all about Abigail's wants over what her family needs. She knows they have needs but she likes to lay in bed and watch tv (when she should be homeschooling her kids) damnit!

It's time for her to grow the hell up! She needs to get off her ass, put those kids in school, and get a job. They are in financial ruin and her sitting on that blog going back and forth between whining about POVERTY 11!!!11 / we bought a new TV isn't going to cut it.

:angry-banghead:

Oh yes!

She should concentrate on being a decent Mother rather than a fecking decent Carmelite. Sorry but that is just another stupid fad to me. I'm Ok saying that.

I would give a pass on netflix if it was part of the entertainment budget. Its not a necessity but its nice to have. Internet should also be part of the entreatment budget unless its needed for work. Paying for netflix and internet instead of a hot water heater is silly. Prioritize your expenses lady.

How can she call herself a mother if she isn't caring for her kids properly? A mini fridge? Real mothers don't let their kids starve or go without proper nutrition. Poor kids! She's such a twat.

How can she call herself a mother if she isn't caring for her kids properly? A mini fridge? Real mothers don't let their kids starve or go without proper nutrition. Poor kids! She's such a twat.

And what about where she was reading to her kids, from Shakespeare I think, while they did their homework? Who does that? Does she really think they can take in the story and focus on the homework at the same time?

I take cold showers on purpose from time to time. (today being one of those times- I couldn't get cool to save my life!) Certainly has nothing to do with my relationship with God!

And why does she equate renting as something to be looked down upon vs. owning a home. Psh- I'll rent forever, then I'm not responsible when the water heater breaks or the A/C goes out or I need a new roof! I don't want those expenses!! I'd say renting is better than owning!

How do you effectively wash and disinfect everything from soiled underwear, to dishes that held raw chicken, to hands that touch everything??? I am not a germaphobe, but cold water and Purell do not do the same job as warm/hot water does when it comes to cleaning and sanitizing.

Archived