IGNORED

GOP’s secret anti-choice plot

doggie

This is pretty much been kept out of the limelight but really can be a big problem.

http://www.salon.com/2013/09/19/gops_se ... rs_scarce/

This is mentioned relatively frequently here in Brownbackistan, however, it falls on deaf ears. There was even a discussion if KU (our state med school) could lose accreditation if abortion was no longer taught and a lot of fluffery went on while they were discussing it--basically they don't care and can't imagine it being important.

Understand, our state had, at least for a while and maybe still in the most anti abortion current bill, a clause where a doctor could withhold information about a woman's pregnancy IF he thought she might choose to abort if she had the information, and the woman could not sue for "wrongful life" for a severely disabled child if she learned she had been ill informed nor could she sue if she herself suffered illness or injury because her doctor withheld information. Her owner husband could sue if she actually died from not having the information (property rights and all that).

Why is this one area acceptable for the government to make all decisions about but in every other aspect of life it should be hands off?

More and more, I believe their anti big governement talk is really anti Federal level government control. Many of the republican politicians I know want lots and lots and lots of state and local government control of people and their actions to force them into the mold they think is "best" for them, but they don't want federal say on any of it. Because--that is why they keep passing, or trying to pass, laws that say "We don't have to follow federal gun, education, etc laws and narrowing abortion laws in their states.

The newest judge in my state (who couldn't get appointed until the governor changed the rules so that he appointed the judge instead of a committee selecting a group from which he would choose a judge to appoint) is all about locality. He calls himself a crunchy conservative, and he is smart--and scary as hell. He thinks people should limit their range to a very small area (50 miles?) and views larger groupings (federal/national) and destructive. Of course, the small area rules should not be limited by the national laws.

Balkanization didn't work in the Balkans, I can't imagine it would work here.

More and more, I believe their anti big governement talk is really anti Federal level government control.

This is so true. The sweeping agenda of our new Red overlords here in NC has been breathtaking. However in among all the new legislation making our state as much a Far Right Paradise as possible (inc: anti-women, anti-poor, and pro-business laws across the board) they have also passed a number of laws that control what NC counties and cities may do. That is, the state is trying to control how progressive (Democratic) the Cities and Counties can be be in their own legislation. Make no mistake, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Ashville are very progressive, Blue areas on the map but we are all being forced to live like our entire state is straight up, 100% blood red.

In regards to the article posted, it is not a secret. I read a similar article about 6 months ago. My biggest concern is that, setting aside the whole issue of choice, there are times when a surgical abortion is required to save a woman's life. In an emergency I would like a doctor trained in the procedure operating on my daughter or my theoretical granddaughter rather than someone who has had never seen an abortion performed. Women have bodies that differ from men, we can get pregnant-- how can American medical schools pretend otherwise and not deal with whatever complications that may arise?

Archived