IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures in Child Neglect: Vive La France

happy atheist

As others have said, Laura is guilty of abandonment and neglect. While there's no right way to grieve, I feel comfortable saying there are wrongs ways, and she's doing it wrong, because she's causing life-long harm to her kids. Trauma and neglect cause physical changes to the brain, and the younger a person, the bigger and further reaching the changes.

There are wrong ways. She's doing it wrong.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a way into university without exams?

ETa: interesting. Provided they're willing to wait until they turn 18 there ia a two hour multiple choice test which doesn't cover any specific knowledge, called the STAT test. I wonder if it's really that easy?

I took the STAT because I dropped out of year 12.

In a word - yes. It is that easy.

I scored in the 98th percentile over a 5 year period with my essay portion and I was in the 80th percentile or so for my logic/maths portion. I got into my university of choice and I'm doing a BSc.

Granted, I was doing IB instead of SACE in high school so the level of difficulty was somewhat higher, but I sincerely doubt I could have scored as well in SACE/IB as I did in the STAT test. My strongest facet of academics is certainly my essay writing, but I doubt I'd have been in the 98th percentile of all the people who sat the SACE English exam over a 5 year period, for example, like I was with the STAT.

With my STAT score combined with my university grades I was actually eligible to sit the UMAT and even be accepted into my university's medical school if I passed the test and the interviews, although I'd have required bridging classes in a couple of subjects. I couldn't have scored the 99.8% SACE grade required to sit the UMAT and study medicine.

The essay subjects aren't anything academic. I can't really remember the choices but the subject I remember choosing (or one of them, I can't remember if I had to do more than one short essay) was 'is capital punishment a deterrent?'. Other questions I remember are things like defining worlds like altruism, reading graphs and stuff like that. I think it was multiple choice the whole way through apart from the essay portion.

It was certainly easier than my IB work, which for my higher level subjects was college curriculum. Just as a comparison, the UMAT also has a reading comp section (understanding people, I think it's called), and a logic/maths section. I did several practice tests and while I always got full marks in reading comp, my first time through the logic/maths section was something like 65% (and I don't think I ever did better than 85% for those areas, which was part of why I didn't pursue a medical degree). Those are the only college entrance exams I have experience with since I never finished year 12.

I took the STAT because I dropped out of year 12.

In a word - yes. It is that easy.

I scored in the 98th percentile over a 5 year period with my essay portion and I was in the 80th percentile or so for my logic/maths portion. I got into my university of choice and I'm doing a BSc.

Granted, I was doing IB instead of SACE in high school so the level of difficulty was somewhat higher, but I sincerely doubt I could have scored as well in SACE/IB as I did in the STAT test. My strongest facet of academics is certainly my essay writing, but I doubt I'd have been in the 98th percentile of all the people who sat the SACE English exam over a 5 year period, for example, like I was with the STAT.

With my STAT score combined with my university grades I was actually eligible to sit the UMAT and even be accepted into my university's medical school if I passed the test and the interviews, although I'd have required bridging classes in a couple of subjects. I couldn't have scored the 99.8% SACE grade required to sit the UMAT and study medicine.

The essay subjects aren't anything academic. I can't really remember the choices but the subject I remember choosing (or one of them, I can't remember if I had to do more than one short essay) was 'is capital punishment a deterrent?'. Other questions I remember are things like defining worlds like altruism, reading graphs and stuff like that. I think it was multiple choice the whole way through apart from the essay portion.

It was certainly easier than my IB work, which for my higher level subjects was college curriculum. Just as a comparison, the UMAT also has a reading comp section (understanding people, I think it's called), and a logic/maths section. I did several practice tests and while I always got full marks in reading comp, my first time through the logic/maths section was something like 65% (and I don't think I ever did better than 85% for those areas, which was part of why I didn't pursue a medical degree). Those are the only college entrance exams I have experience with since I never finished year 12.

You dropped out of year 12, but you would have had an understanding of how to answer questions by then? formulate answers to satisfy someone elses question? etc? Is that a far assumption? Because the thing is, I wonder what these girls will be good for in adulthood - will they even be able to put up with being told what to do? or know how to jump those necessary hoops we all have to jump in order to get a job and be self sufficient adults? They live in a bubble where they are their own educators. Imagine an adult telling them what to do! or criticising them?! Especially in the headstrong teen years. I can't see this ending well. Unless Aicha wants to sell macadamia nuts from a roadside curb for real. And this is why I am so against home or "un" schooling, we should not have to pay the burden of allowing these children to slip into marginalised lifestyles on the fringe of society. Homeschooled children should be disallowed any benefits. if intelligent adults who can afford to sustain their lifestyle want to self educate their kids - fine, but its too much of a burden for society to be paying for this bullshit. We're basically subsidising a road trip holiday with some zoo visits and minecraft chucked in along the way for education.

Archived