IGNORED

Todd Starnes and "American" Values

xReems

I'm sure all of you have heard who the new "Miss America" is and how she's of Indian (Yay Desi pride!) decent. Well, surprise surprise, there would be a bunch of backlashes, especially on Twitter. Majority of the criticism are from younger people, who just seriously lack education, but then enter good 'ol Todd Starnes, to throw in his 2 cents:

On his Twitter last night:

Miss Kansas, a gun-toting, deer-hunting, military veteran was America's choice - but not the liberal Miss America judges' choice.

The liberal Miss America judges won't say this - but Miss Kansas lost because she actually represented American values. #missamerica

American values? Just because someone is a gun-toting, deer-hunting, military veteran, doesn't make them "true american". If you honestly wanted a "true" american, the judges should have picked a Native American to represent true "american". Even that, how the fuck does "gun-toting" and "deer-hunting" represent what America is all about?! It makes absolutely no fucking sense and it sickens me that you feel that is what our country is based on. My father came to this country, from India, in '78 to get a better education and have a better living for him and his future family. You know why he loves this country? Because, compared to India, he does not get judged for his physical handicap but rather, gets praised for being strong and travel from one state to the next for work. My father feels proud that he can step outside of his home and know that he can travel from point A to point B with just his handicap. You know what? That's a true American with American values. This country is called "the melting pot" for a reason and if you have a fucking problem with that, get the fuck out of here and go create your own country where prejudice and racism with "true american values" could occur.

Ps. Go to Hell, Todd. It's people like you who give this country a bad rep.

I saw the show last night. She was pretty did a great dance & her answer was great. Was this guy & everyone throwing a fit be as pissed if the winner was black?

I don't own a gun, don't hunt( and have no desire to do either), but I am a military veteran. Does that mean I'm only 1/3 American?

ETA--Who the hell is Todd Starnes, and why does anyone care what he has to say?

Todd Starnes is one of the correspondence for Fox News. It shouldn't be surprising that he has a narrow viewpoint, hence why he's part of the Fox News Team, but his comments bothered me to the core and as an American with Indian decent, it irked me to the core.

It's just sad that people like him still exists.

Todd Starnes is one of the correspondence for Fox News. It shouldn't be surprising that he has a narrow viewpoint, hence why he's part of the Fox News Team, but his comments bothered me to the core and as an American with Indian decent, it irked me to the core.

It's just sad that people like him still exists.

No wonder I didn't know who he was--I avoid Fox News like the plague.

I didn't mean to come off flippantly with my "Why do people care what he has to say" comment. If I sounded like I was trying to minimize his shitty comments, I apologize. Of course what he said is ignorant. I probably should have phrased that differently, but I'm not sure how. Let me put it this way--if he had said something like that to me personally, my response would have included a sarcastic "yeah, cool story, bro", a snort and an eye roll--if I was feeling nice that day.

Oh you definitely didn't come off flippantly. I've been frustrated with all the criticism that ensued on Twitter last night. It just irks me when people make quick judgements based on a skin color or make assumptions on what someone is based on some qualities that they think is right. Such stupidity.

Oh you definitely didn't come off flippantly. I've been frustrated with all the criticism that ensued on Twitter last night. It just irks me when people make quick judgements based on a skin color or make assumptions on what someone is based on some qualities that they think is right. Such stupidity.

Todd Starnes is just mad 'cause he will never go on a date with a woman like Nina.

Why does someone like him even get a spot on national TV? Does he sprew his crap on his show too?

You know, it's weird that there's a segment of the population that thinks "midwestern small town" personifies "American values". I've lived in small town USA and I've lived significant amounts of time in the mid-west. I'm not sure what makes the people around there "more" American. Do they pay more in taxes? Create more jobs? Love America more? Or is it just right wingers feel they share more cultural values with "small town mid-westerners" and therefore like to talk up that area? Frankly, I see nothing intrinsically better about small towns or the mid-west. It's funny, despite having lived in the very areas that these rightwingers like to talk up as "American", these same people would probably look at me and never accept me as "American", 'cause I'm Chinese and have a funny sounding name. I wonder what they'd think if they knew I never took my white husband's very white bread last name? Probably get accused of being failing to assimilate or being a commie spy. :lol: :nenner:

I saw the show last night. She was pretty did a great dance & her answer was great. Was this guy & everyone throwing a fit be as pissed if the winner was black?

My guess is if she was black from a blue state, yes. Wait, were any red state reps not white? Personally, I can do without a white, blonde, tattooed bimbo for Miss America. Happy the winner has money for med school. I guess people like this racist would rather have no medical care in communities begging for doctors than an Indian.

Why does someone like him even get a spot on national TV? Does he sprew his crap on his show too?

You know, it's weird that there's a segment of the population that thinks "midwestern small town" personifies "American values". I've lived in small town USA and I've lived significant amounts of time in the mid-west. I'm not sure what makes the people around there "more" American. Do they pay more in taxes? Create more jobs? Love America more? Or is it just right wingers feel they share more cultural values with "small town mid-westerners" and therefore like to talk up that area? Frankly, I see nothing intrinsically better about small towns or the mid-west. It's funny, despite having lived in the very areas that these rightwingers like to talk up as "American", these same people would probably look at me and never accept me as "American", 'cause I'm Chinese and have a funny sounding name. I wonder what they'd think if they knew I never took my white husband's very white bread last name? Probably get accused of being failing to assimilate or being a commie spy. :lol: :nenner:

Honestly, my small midwestern town would not care whether you took your spouse's last name or not. Many women here don't. People here are not as judgmental as people would like us to be. In fact, a lack of being publicly judgmental is probably our big selling point. Everyone is just too polite to bother each other. The downside is that in most places like this, there is a core population that has been in town for five generations or so and all know each other (and are possibly related) and no one not in that core group ever really belongs. In general, no one will be mean to you, but you will not be included. Race and religion is not a factor in that matter at all. It is all about the correct and longstanding last name. I cannot really get in the door to get regular sub teaching jobs in our little town in spite of being on the sub list for four years, because they "don't know" me--even though I have been subbing (only once a month or so) in the district for this long. Subs who are alums, whose parents work there, or who retired from the district get all the jobs.

I'll also say that most people I encounter in my midwestern state don't really have that notion that we are more special or more American. Even most conservatives. Most people just want a reason to leave. It seems to be the ones who do leave that romanticize the region later.

Todd Starnes is just mad 'cause he will never go on a date with a woman like Nina.

I agree--I told my husband that from what I've read in the last few days (miss ks has been in the local news all week) the Miss America Pagent has evolved into a beauty contest for dedicated over achievers. (It may always have been--I haven't watched it since I was about 11) and not one of the people bleating and tweeting would have a chance in hell of ever dating any of the contestants.

What I thought was funny is the day before the contest the uproar was all about having a woman with tattoos was wrong and showed a lack of values and what's the world coming to, cause tattoos are trashy and don't represent Miss America and on and on........but the second someone wins who is disliked even more.....people are upset that the poor sweet girl they were JUST bitching about lost !

Maybe it's totally different people, but I bet there's some overlap.

What I thought was funny is the day before the contest the uproar was all about having a woman with tattoos was wrong and showed a lack of values and what's the world coming to, cause tattoos are trashy and don't represent Miss America and on and on........but the second someone wins who is disliked even more.....people are upset that the poor sweet girl they were JUST bitching about lost !

Maybe it's totally different people, but I bet there's some overlap.

I'm sure you're right. I'm also sure some of these folks regularly bitch about women in the millitary...

Well put xReems and I'm proud to say I hail from Middlesex County NJ, with the highest per capita Desi population in the US.

Honestly, my small midwestern town would not care whether you took your spouse's last name or not. Many women here don't. People here are not as judgmental as people would like us to be. In fact, a lack of being publicly judgmental is probably our big selling point. Everyone is just too polite to bother each other. The downside is that in most places like this, there is a core population that has been in town for five generations or so and all know each other (and are possibly related) and no one not in that core group ever really belongs. In general, no one will be mean to you, but you will not be included. Race and religion is not a factor in that matter at all. It is all about the correct and longstanding last name. I cannot really get in the door to get regular sub teaching jobs in our little town in spite of being on the sub list for four years, because they "don't know" me--even though I have been subbing (only once a month or so) in the district for this long. Subs who are alums, whose parents work there, or who retired from the district get all the jobs.

I'll also say that most people I encounter in my midwestern state don't really have that notion that we are more special or more American. Even most conservatives. Most people just want a reason to leave. It seems to be the ones who do leave that romanticize the region later.

QFT. The ones who womp on about small-town American values tend to live inside the Beltway. We actual small-town people tend to be less concerned with values and more concerned with making sure nobody freezes to death.

ETA: Someone once said that "family values" means that only certain families have value. In the same way, "American values" means that only certain Americans have value.

Archived