IGNORED

Someone with hair bigger than Erin Bates

divadivine

Yes! DevaCurl and Miss Jessie's and Kinky Curly are awesome!

These are all newer products. Miss Jessie's and Deva will let you order inexpensive sample kits. The rule, if you are white, is forget you are white and get black lady hair products.

Black hair products usually don't work for my hair. Too heavy and greasy. But kinky curly custard is good if its too humid for mousse. I tried Deva no-poo once and had to wash my hair half a dozen times to get the stink out. Even then my husband made me sleep in the spare room because of the stench. I wished I could kick myself to the spare room so I could sleep.

What I want to know is why the black products section is labelled ethnic, in the US. They've been here about ten years fewer than we have, after 400 years are we still keeping track?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing this post title keeps me wishing every time I come on FJ that there's some new Bates news, because they're so much more interesting than the Duggars at this point. But no, it's just random conversation about how we all wash our hair. *sigh*

I would recommend a moisturizing shampoo, a leave in conditioner and an intensive conditioning treatment once per week or every other week. As far as brands. IME, the cheap ones are just as good as the expensive ones. Also have you considered using a flat iron? If used properly, they can help tame the frizzies.

What is an "intensive conditioning treatment"? Is it something I apply at home or something I have to go to a salon for?

Beyond a brush and comb, I'm not really into using any kind of gadget (especially not anything electrical as I'm pretty much an off-grid girl) -- just not into fussing over my appearance or having my bathroom cluttered with stuff -- while I don't love having frizzy hair, I accept this is what I got and am not really looking to force it to be different.

Yes! DevaCurl and Miss Jessie's and Kinky Curly are awesome!

These are all newer products. Miss Jessie's and Deva will let you order inexpensive sample kits. The rule, if you are white, is forget you are white and get black lady hair products.

Thanks for the info. I've tried products for black hair before, didn't notice much difference, can't stand the chemically smell.

What is an "intensive conditioning treatment"? Is it something I apply at home or something I have to go to a salon for?

Beyond a brush and comb, I'm not really into using any kind of gadget (especially not anything electrical as I'm pretty much an off-grid girl) -- just not into fussing over my appearance or having my bathroom cluttered with stuff -- while I don't love having frizzy hair, I accept this is what I got and am not really looking to force it to be different.

Thanks for the info. I've tried products for black hair before, didn't notice much difference, can't stand the chemically smell.

My intensive conditioning treatment is this: after washing, I apply a heavy conditioner such as Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (has silicones, which some people don't want in their hair) or Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture from root to tip, plop my hair in an old t-shirt, then sit under my soft bonnet hair dryer for an hour. If you don't want to use heat, you could wrap your hair in a plastic bag and let it hang out for a few hours, or do all of this before a shower and let hot water run over it in the shower.

The Kinky Curly products smell great, like candy. Knot Today is one of my favorite items; too bad I can't afford it these days, although it is relatively reasonably priced at Target.

My intensive conditioning treatment is this: after washing, I apply a heavy conditioner such as Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (has silicones, which some people don't want in their hair) or Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture from root to tip, plop my hair in an old t-shirt, then sit under my soft bonnet hair dryer for an hour. If you don't want to use heat, you could wrap your hair in a plastic bag and let it hang out for a few hours, or do all of this before a shower and let hot water run over it in the shower.

The Kinky Curly products smell great, like candy. Knot Today is one of my favorite items; too bad I can't afford it these days, although it is relatively reasonably priced at Target.

Thank you -- I might look into this.

Oh my goodness you are all so horrified by the idea of change it makes me laugh. As for washing your hair according to "someone else's schedule" that is my point exactly-- none of you would have ever thought of washing your hair every day if you lived a hundred years ago because it was unheard of. You only wash your hair every day because someone else came up with this schedule. I admit boys with sweaty heads do stink but most of us don't sweat that much.

I think I washed my hair every single day from the time I was able to do it myself (9 or 10) until I was in my forties. I always had wet hair standing and waiting for the school bus. Like I said it took some time to get used to it, but it worked out and I'm glad I made the change. Now I can afford to buy the really good shampoo plus my hair looks shinier and gets fewer split ends. But by all means continue on as you are! I'm sure the shampoo manufacturers are thrilled.

I don't think this is entirely true. My great-grandmother (born 1892) was still around in the 60's / early 70's when I was growing up. I was afraid of washing my hair as a youngster because I didn't like water getting on my face so she would help me. During this time she told me stories of her growing up. One of them was how she wished she could wash her hair everyday because of how dirty / greasy it always looked. She was a farm girl who had a lot of physical activity and didn't like to be smelly. Told me by the time she was 7 she would often sneak down to the creek & bathe / shampoo just to feel better. And when she got married and had seven children of her own she let them bathe as often as they wanted. Her earliest child was born in 1912 / last child 1931. She certainly lived 100 years ago & thought of it and did it often. As I am sure lots of others did too.

I used to have really thick hair and I could go about three days max without it looking greasy. Now it is thin and it takes longer. Maybe 5-6 days. Before that it loses volume though which, when it's already thin, is annoying. So I still wash it about every 3 though to avoid that. I also use shampoo/conditioner for hair that falls out (not enough that it's super obvious but it's always all over my clothes without the products) and that only lasts for about 2-3 days.

Funny about the old-time hairstyles... my hair holds curl/style better towards the end of a "cycle" when it needs to be washed again maybe due to grease? :lol: (I also agree that mine tends to look best the day after I wash it.)

I have dry shampoo but the one I have only lasts about half a day before I have to reapply. So I don't use it too much - a few times if I've woken up late and will only be out of the house for a few hours.

I have fine, straight hair and need to wash it every day or it looks greasy and my scalp itches. For me it's no bother at all... I shower daily anyway and it takes all of 1 minute to wash my hair, and with my straight cut I just comb it out and I'm good to go.

I had a roommate a while ago who only washed her hair once a week and she looked good... her hair was thick and straight and maybe started to get a little greasy that last day. I have another friend now whose hair looks greasy and limp frequently and I haven't asked her how often she washes it but I think it needs to be more often. Sometimes when people have greasy-looking hair I wonder if they are even showering daily.

I have fine, straight hair and need to wash it every day or it looks greasy and my scalp itches. For me it's no bother at all... I shower daily anyway and it takes all of 1 minute to wash my hair, and with my straight cut I just comb it out and I'm good to go.

This is me. I have tried the apple cider vinegar and whatever but couldn't handle it. My hair just looked gross. I couldn't try and power through either. It was just bad.

I just recently started using coconut oil diluted in about a cup of warm h20 for a biweekly deep condition. I just mix the coconut oil and water together and then apply to dry (and not freshly washed) hair. I leave it on for as long as possible (at least one hour, I've even left it on overnight with a cap on), then get in the shower and shampoo it out. I do my own highlights and recently messed them up big time, which left me with dry hair. This deep conditioning treatment works well for me and is dirt cheap.

I also have a recipe for homemade dry shampoo that works better than the aerosol kind, and again, is dirt cheap. I'm all about the dirt cheap these days! If anyone wants the recipe, pm me.

A intensive conditioning treatment is a cream or oil product that you leave in your hair for several minutes after shampooing and conditioning. A friend of mine swears by Suave Moroccan Infusion Deep Conditioning and Shine Mask. It's not expensive at all.

I don't know what it is about suave products that make my scalp itch and I even get sores if I use them. It sucks because I like their smells, lol.

Does anyone else remember a product called, Pssssst ? It was an aerosol spray can of dry shampoo. My older sister used to buy it. I used to sneak it from her room and use it because it seemed cool. I don't know why I did that because it just made my hair white and gummy. I have never used a dry shampoo since - are they better now?

Someone posted a picture of the "big hair" young woman and Jinger on instigram.

web.stagram.com/p/548795663718925148_396873951

It looks like that's her... she posted the picture of herself.

Just an FYI, some of the black hair products like Miss Jessie's and Kinky Curly and Mixed Chicks are not traditional. I think a lot of black women hated those old school products too! The assumption of the old school products, sort of like the assumptions with white hair products, was that every woman of whatever color has exactly the same hair. Not true and the new school stuff takes that into account.

It looks like that's her... she posted the picture of herself.

It looks like it is actually her sister. Abigail looks like the one with the slightly smaller hair. I was looking at her instagram and found her sister Kristina, who seems to the one with the hugest hair from the picture with Jinger. Her pictures are on this site

pizap.com/u/1453074941

If that woman in some of the pictures is their mom, you can see where the big hair comes from

And this looks to be Abigail's pinterest. You can see her hair inspiration pics.

pinterest.com/abigailkrull13/boards/

But based on their dress and interest in pop culture, it seems they are more on the fundie lite side.

It looks like it is actually her sister. Abigail looks like the one with the slightly smaller hair. I was looking at her instagram and found her sister Kristina, who seems to the one with the hugest hair from the picture with Jinger. Her pictures are on this site

pizap.com/u/1453074941

If that woman in some of the pictures is their mom, you can see where the big hair comes from

And this looks to be Abigail's pinterest. You can see her hair inspiration pics.

pinterest.com/abigailkrull13/boards/

But based on their dress and interest in pop culture, it seems they are more on the fundie lite side.

Holy shit! Big hair runs in the family!!!

pizap.com/u/1453074941

To quote a guy in a long ago bar when a woman walked in with a similar "do"... "Hair by mixmaster..."

Archived