IGNORED

Someone with hair bigger than Erin Bates

divadivine

Handmaiden, why do you care so much what the rest of us do? I couldn't care less whether you choose to never wash your hair or to wash it five times a day! I'm sure the shampoo manufacturers ARE thrilled to have my money, just like I'm thrilled they keep making their product so that I can buy it and use it. :P

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh my goodness you are all so horrified by the idea of change it makes me laugh. As for washing your hair according to "someone else's schedule" that is my point exactly-- none of you would have ever thought of washing your hair every day if you lived a hundred years ago because it was unheard of. You only wash your hair every day because someone else came up with this schedule. I admit boys with sweaty heads do stink but most of us don't sweat that much.

I think I washed my hair every single day from the time I was able to do it myself (9 or 10) until I was in my forties. I always had wet hair standing and waiting for the school bus. Like I said it took some time to get used to it, but it worked out and I'm glad I made the change. Now I can afford to buy the really good shampoo plus my hair looks shinier and gets fewer split ends. But by all means continue on as you are! I'm sure the shampoo manufacturers are thrilled.

We are all different for sure. What I do with my hair is so odd that I hardly tell anyone about it, because most people would be disgusted, although no one has told me my hair smells or is greasy etc.

I have really thick, kinky hair. It's mid-back length now, longest it's ever been, but even when it was shorter it takes a lot of time to wash (just getting it wet all the way through takes longer than most people's showers...). It's also WAY too frizzy to blow-dry so I have to let it air dry, which takes hours (days, if I keep it tied back).

Bottom line is, I wash it once every few months. It doesn't get greasy or smelly (if I ever notice it feeling greasy, it gets washed PDQ, but that has hardly ever happened.

I use regular shampoo although I'm looking forward to trying the baking soda/vinegar option.

I only use leave-in conditioner -- I can't tell any difference from using the kind that gets immediately rinsed out. I have more than enough "volume", just looking for something that keeps the frizz down.

The reasons I do it this way are many and specific to my life -- I generally bathe/shower in the evenings and wouldn't want to wash my hair because it would be wet overnight, which feels yucky to me (not to mention chills me to the bone) and also makes it dry with weird bed-head. In the colder weather I tend to take a bath in the evenings instead of a shower -- my form of relaxation -- and washing hair just isn't convenient from a bath (on top of the nighttime drying issue).

I'm sure as a teenager I washed my hair at least every week, still not a lot but at least in the somewhat-normal range. Then as a young adult, I once or twice went multiple weeks without washing and noticed that NOTHING BAD HAPPENED. So it just became my habit.

Now the worst problem I have is that I stocked up on a dozen bottles of shampoo years ago, but since one bottle now lasts me a year or more, it's gonna be a while before I'm "out" and I really wanted to try that baking soda/vinegar sooner than 2020! :lol:

Handmaiden, I'm not sure what your problem is or why this is so important to you that it's sounding like a crusade to get everyone believing as you do. I wash my hair when it needs it. It is neither daily or weekly. That's why I said not on someone else's schedule. It's not on your schedule or the shampoo manufacturers.

Oh my goodness you are all so horrified by the idea of change it makes me laugh. As for washing your hair according to "someone else's schedule" that is my point exactly-- none of you would have ever thought of washing your hair every day if you lived a hundred years ago because it was unheard of. You only wash your hair every day because someone else came up with this schedule. I admit boys with sweaty heads do stink but most of us don't sweat that much.

I think I washed my hair every single day from the time I was able to do it myself (9 or 10) until I was in my forties. I always had wet hair standing and waiting for the school bus. Like I said it took some time to get used to it, but it worked out and I'm glad I made the change. Now I can afford to buy the really good shampoo plus my hair looks shinier and gets fewer split ends. But by all means continue on as you are! I'm sure the shampoo manufacturers are thrilled.

I don't know why you're being so condescending about this incredibly minor, unimportant thing. As if we aren't all adults who can make our own choices! As it happens, I tried to cut back my hair washing for two years (using multiple techniques since they all kept failing). I'm cheap and I liked the idea of buying less product. The long and short of it is that after two days my hair is limp and lifeless, no matter how much care I've taken to do things "correctly". Leaving it three days was consistently a disaster. A hundred years ago I'd probably have worn it up in braids all the time, or something similar. Or I'd have kept it tucked away under a hat. Thankfully neither are necessary any more.

Just because something works for you doesn't mean everyone else is doing it wrong.

I do. And it's gross. Hence my daily hair wash. Sometimes--wait for it!--I wash my hair TWICE in one day. :o And it's perfectly healthy and easy to style. Takes me literally about 90 seconds to dry it with a blow dryer and a brush. I doubt shampoo makers are thrilled with me, though; as I mentioned before, I can make one bottle (bought on sale with a coupon) last a very long time.

Washing one's hair daily was unheard of a hundred years ago in large part because a lot of people didn't have the facilities for doing so. It's hard to wash and rinse your hair every day when you don't have an indoor bathroom (my grandparents didn't have a bathroom til my mother was in high school, and this was the early 1950s).

Well I'm one of those really lucky people who sweat out of their head. Not good at all.

I am perfectly happy to wash my hair daily as are probably those around me. 100 years ago people died of typhus so why are we even discussing it as some halcyon time for hair washing or lack of? Never understand that type of stupid debate.

Interestingly my Mother is late 70's in age and she has her hair done weekly. My sister twice a week. My kid used to be once but appears to have inherited my sweaty head :cry: You do what makes you feel comfy.

I work with a girl who like the OP eschews shampoo and hair washing. She got by the greasy look and her hair does look great, shiny and lustrous. Unfortunately good manners dictates that every time she brings this up I am prevented from saying it smells like every dinner she has ever cooked and occasionally of stale smoke which sometimes even as a non-smoker is hard to avoid. She sprays perfume on her bonce which just smells like somebody has sprayed perfume around your kitchen after cooking cabbage if you get my drift.

But hey we all think our own shit smells like roses anyway :lol:

I just don't even get the concept of dry shampoo. Why would it be any better than just putting your hair up if you don't have a bottle of water handy to get it wet?

On the topic of why they didn't wash their hair very often in 1900

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NALtY9s-yG ... ALtY9s-yG4

andthey all looked like this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UbEZ98jQka0/U ... Russell+(3).jpg

well, they wanted to, because she was a great beauty... with soap hair.

But, if you want to be really authentic you could powder your hair. They did that in the old days, too.

I just don't even get the concept of dry shampoo. Why would it be any better than just putting your hair up if you don't have a bottle of water handy to get it wet?

On the topic of why they didn't wash their hair very often in 1900

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NALtY9s-yG ... ALtY9s-yG4

andthey all looked like this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UbEZ98jQka0/U ... Russell+(3).jpg

well, they wanted to, because she was a great beauty... with soap hair.

Hehehe the picture. Black and white is SO forgiving.

The premise of dry shampoo is basically to absorb grease. Therefore it does nothing to clean hair just the allusion it is clean. You would be cheaper banging on some talc for it's absorbency but for the fact it is white.

So basically dry shampoo = talc with no colour.

But why would you use it if you weren't on a month long trek through the desert with a film crew?

But why would you use it if you weren't on a month long trek through the desert with a film crew?

My hair gets greasy unevenly. I have long, thick hair that's usually well-behaved. However, my forehead gets greasy, so my bangs/front of my hair gets greasy if I sleep on my face, which I tend to do. So if I want to skip a day of washing, I use dry shampoo to fluff up/de-grease my bangs.

I love the stuff. I also blow dry and/or hot roll my hair frequently, so it allows me to stretch a hairstyle over a couple of days if need be. My hair looks a bit like Lana del Rey. I don't have her duck lips, though! :lol:

That is so foreign to me you might as well be saying "here on planet grossbdwyb we use snonktrab on our skrooodrobsla every rotation of snickfarrr".

Rules for my type of hair: Water. Waterwaterwaterwater. And water. Don't ever touch dry hair, that includes sleeping on it and using hair dryers. Your hair needs to be saturated within a few hours of needing to look presentable. If you can't wet your hair, use hair ties liberally. Water waterwater. Showers, spray bottle, a wet brush. Lots and lots of water, plus the occasional condition, sometimes with shampoo.

We are all different for sure. What I do with my hair is so odd that I hardly tell anyone about it, because most people would be disgusted, although no one has told me my hair smells or is greasy etc.

I have really thick, kinky hair. It's mid-back length now, longest it's ever been, but even when it was shorter it takes a lot of time to wash (just getting it wet all the way through takes longer than most people's showers...). It's also WAY too frizzy to blow-dry so I have to let it air dry, which takes hours (days, if I keep it tied back).

Bottom line is, I wash it once every few months. It doesn't get greasy or smelly (if I ever notice it feeling greasy, it gets washed PDQ, but that has hardly ever happened.

I use regular shampoo although I'm looking forward to trying the baking soda/vinegar option.

I only use leave-in conditioner -- I can't tell any difference from using the kind that gets immediately rinsed out. I have more than enough "volume", just looking for something that keeps the frizz down.

The reasons I do it this way are many and specific to my life -- I generally bathe/shower in the evenings and wouldn't want to wash my hair because it would be wet overnight, which feels yucky to me (not to mention chills me to the bone) and also makes it dry with weird bed-head. In the colder weather I tend to take a bath in the evenings instead of a shower -- my form of relaxation -- and washing hair just isn't convenient from a bath (on top of the nighttime drying issue).

I'm sure as a teenager I washed my hair at least every week, still not a lot but at least in the somewhat-normal range. Then as a young adult, I once or twice went multiple weeks without washing and noticed that NOTHING BAD HAPPENED. So it just became my habit.

Now the worst problem I have is that I stocked up on a dozen bottles of shampoo years ago, but since one bottle now lasts me a year or more, it's gonna be a while before I'm "out" and I really wanted to try that baking soda/vinegar sooner than 2020! :lol:

I have naturally curly hair as do most people in my family. My cousins, who have thick, curly hair, do what you do, except they do not go months but a couple of weeks. Their hair smells. I have never told them because I do not want to upset them. But it stinks. Looks good but stinks.

I use shampoos and conditioners made for curly hair. It is a different universe than anything you have tried before. Expensive but worth it. Every day.

:embarrassed: All this talk about smelly hair is depressing me. Due to my disability I can't wash my hair without help,so it gets washed about once a week, if I'm lucky. And I sweat a lot. Ugghh

Both my aunt and my grandmother wash their hair once a week; my aunt because her's is thick, curly, and very dry and my grandmother because she has very thin hair that needs to be "set". Neither of them have smelly hair, but I don't know how much/little they sweat.

I have thick, straight, oily hair. I prefer to wash it every other day, but I sweat profusely at the gym and cannot stand that, so just depending on how my week/gym schedule is working, I can't always stick to the every-other schedule. However, my hair looks and acts much better when it is just cleaned. I have always been told, when doing something where your hair will need to be professionally done, that it should be one-day hair (washed the day before). This does not hold true with me. My hair will NOT hold any kind of curl or style unless it is just washed (within a few hours), the opposite of what is true for most people (so I've been told.)

That is so foreign to me you might as well be saying "here on planet grossbdwyb we use snonktrab on our skrooodrobsla every rotation of snickfarrr".

Rules for my type of hair: Water. Waterwaterwaterwater. And water. Don't ever touch dry hair, that includes sleeping on it and using hair dryers. Your hair needs to be saturated within a few hours of needing to look presentable. If you can't wet your hair, use hair ties liberally. Water waterwater. Showers, spray bottle, a wet brush. Lots and lots of water, plus the occasional condition, sometimes with shampoo.

And the water-only approach sounds foreign to me.

No one thing is going to work for all hair types. My hair is fine and extremely oily, so much so that a dry shampoo or cornstarch touch-up is needed by noon (after having washed my hair in the morning).

:wtf: I did not get that vibe from this thread at all. 100 years ago people did all sorts of things that we no longer do so I'm not sure why that is supposed to be a compelling argument.

If I don't wash my hair daily, it gets very oily, my scalp itches, and I end up scratching it like a dog with fleas. This happens no matter what shampoo/conditioner/styling products I use. Oh, and I love taking baths and showers. I love nice smelling body washes and lotions. My favorite scents are is Japanese Cherry Blossom and Moonlight Path by Bath and Body Works.

I blame my mother for this. When I was a baby, she would let me play in the tub until the water was cold.

I have naturally curly hair as do most people in my family. My cousins, who have thick, curly hair, do what you do, except they do not go months but a couple of weeks. Their hair smells. I have never told them because I do not want to upset them. But it stinks. Looks good but stinks.

I use shampoos and conditioners made for curly hair. It is a different universe than anything you have tried before. Expensive but worth it. Every day.

I suppose it's possible that my hair smells but no one has told me, although I have lived with a partner who would have spoken up, at least I'd like to think so.

Got any brands to recommend? Back 20 years or more I'm sure I tried all sorts of different products for curly/frizzy hair, but it's been so long I don't remember what I tried anymore. Also I'm going gray now and the gray hairs seem to have a totally different texture than my dark hairs (is that common or just me?) and so maybe my hair will react differently nowadays.

I would recommend a moisturizing shampoo, a leave in conditioner and an intensive conditioning treatment once per week or every other week. As far as brands. IME, the cheap ones are just as good as the expensive ones. Also have you considered using a flat iron? If used properly, they can help tame the frizzies.

When I fractured my elbow last year I didn't wash my hair for a week or two at a time because I couldn't, and the results were not cute. I skip days every now and then, but I have fine hair and its prone to getting oily and itchy so its every day for me.

I'm stuck on the green dress: it looks like she is wearing a prom dress with a black tee underneath and a black sweater over, but even though she has attempted to make it more modest, it is still very sensual with it's clingy material and slim cut.

And bruised-eye girl might have gotten a bump on the nose. I think it looks a bit more than just "dark circles."

With their black eyeliner and big hair, she and her sisters really look like throwbacks to the 60's-- it wouldn't be their mother they are emulating but their grandmother.

The dress looks like jersey to me, not prom dress material. Either way, I think its actually a cute dress, even with the modesty adjustments. But I am a sucker for a maxi or a midi dress, they are just so comfortable. Her and the other girl (her sister?) in the glittery shirt are certainly dressed more fashionable than I would expect. Those outfits would not look out of place at many a mall store. They are definitely not the buy used save the difference types.

:embarrassed: All this talk about smelly hair is depressing me. Due to my disability I can't wash my hair without help,so it gets washed about once a week, if I'm lucky. And I sweat a lot. Ugghh

Pretty sure it will not be smelly after a week. The girl I know we are talking months!

The water only thing would be foreign to me also but August did say for 'my type of hair' so that may explain it.

My hair is fairly short sometimes a bob or a crop and I could wash it in washing up liquid and it looks the same. I'm not posh :lol: I do have to use polytar products very rarely now compared to my youth so maybe my hair is just used to any old crap.

I use quite a lot of products when it's cropped such as moulding clay, or wax, defining serums or hairsprays or gel fix if going out so I kind of need a carwash to shift all that shit. Just now I'm in mid bob phase so use just a bit of texturising serum which is very light.

Hair, hair, hair.

I wash my hair every other day because it's fine and gets greasy and my scalp itches when it's not clean.

I don't particularly care what others do, so long as I don't have to smell their dirty hair.

I don't wash my hair more than twice a week. It did take awhile to get used to it. I think part of why some people can't do that has to do with whether or not they use product (gel, mouse, hairspray). Obviously not everyone, but some people. I don't use any. Heck, I don't even own a hairdryer. Or a curling iron/flatiron.

And I know my hair doesn't smell, because I have very blunt family members and I've asked them. Especially because I use a vinegar rinse and I didn't want to smell like vinegar. (My hair is super fine and rediculously tangly if I don't use an acv rinse)

Everyone has to do what is right for them though. What works for one person doesn't work for another. Like how some people drink mint tea to get rid of heartburn and mint tea gives me heartburn. :lol:

I suppose it's possible that my hair smells but no one has told me, although I have lived with a partner who would have spoken up, at least I'd like to think so.

Got any brands to recommend? Back 20 years or more I'm sure I tried all sorts of different products for curly/frizzy hair, but it's been so long I don't remember what I tried anymore. Also I'm going gray now and the gray hairs seem to have a totally different texture than my dark hairs (is that common or just me?) and so maybe my hair will react differently nowadays.

Yes! DevaCurl and Miss Jessie's and Kinky Curly are awesome!

These are all newer products. Miss Jessie's and Deva will let you order inexpensive sample kits. The rule, if you are white, is forget you are white and get black lady hair products.

If I don't wash my hair daily, it gets very oily, my scalp itches, and I end up scratching it like a dog with fleas. This happens no matter what shampoo/conditioner/styling products I use. Oh, and I love taking baths and showers. I love nice smelling body washes and lotions. My favorite scents are is Japanese Cherry Blossom and Moonlight Path by Bath and Body Works.

I blame my mother for this. When I was a baby, she would let me play in the tub until the water was cold.

Same here...I also work out several times a week and use product. If I don't wash every day my scalp itches like crazy.

Archived