IGNORED

Someone with hair bigger than Erin Bates

divadivine

I am not going to snark on those girl's hair because it may be the only way that they can express themselves.

But how is that expression? They have basically the same out of date big hair their moms wore at their ages - and probably today as well. Just wondering why you see it that way when all I see is a bunch of sameness, even with bouffant girl. The only one I see who is testing her wings is the tie shirt girl in front who is definitely trying to express herself!!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
White blouses that were tucked in and not too tight.

And these girls are obviously told not to tuck; the shirt hanging down outside the skirt makes their waist disappear and their figures less shapely-- which is what Gothard is going for obviously. However a couple of the girls are belted, the one has her shirt tied, and miss big hair has tucked her shirt in, I believe, although it is hard to see.

I don't think the colored shirts have special significance. All of the group shots at JTTH have the girls arrayed in blocks of color.

At least hairwise, I would be the perfect Gothard and/or VF maiden. I have big curly/wavy hair and I do a lot of Botkin-esque messy updos. When I was a teen, I used to wish I had been a teen in the 80s (I was a child in the 80s) because my hair would have been "cool", instead of having to flat iron it into submission all the time. :lol:

It's weird and fascinating how Gothard's preference for 80s hair (and, perhaps, the fact that a lot of the Gothard fathers were young men in the 80s/early 90s) has led to this spiritualizing of a certain hairstyle. I mean, I know big hair goes back further than that in Southern churches, but some of these girls really look like they stepped out of a hair salon in 1985.

I think she's just going for the Amy Winehouse look. She and the girl with the personal wind machine hair a couple of rows back both have false eyelashes on. They and the girl with belt! and necklace! and earrings! were probs just ready for their end-of-camp show skit, lip syncing to rehab in glittery sequin dresses and beehives.

right?

"They tried to make her go to Journey/she said 'no, no, no!" :lol:

I can't tell if she's bald or has very blonde hair that is completely scraped back.

I'm a little surprised to see Black girls in the photo. My first thought was that they're possibly adoptees. I have Child Catchers on the brain, I guess.

Her hair is very blond. She is wearing a hair covering. I wonder if she is young or just petite.

Regarding the colored shirts, I think each group/cabin/team gets a different color of shirt. That way they can identify which girls go with which leaders perhaps.

This picture makes me sad. I'd have been one of those girls with the glasses and the parted-down-the-middle braided hair. Those are the girls with the incredibly strict parents who never allow them even the slightest degree of individuality. They can't try to be attractive because that's sinful -- sex = evil. The girls with the elaborate hair, makeup, and jewelry have more liberal parents -- mind you, still within the framework of the fundies, but liberal and permissive, comparatively. They are the popular girls. Their hairstyles might be a decade or two old, but they are at the cutting edge of fundy style.

That life sucked. I feel for the girls -- all of them.

Regarding the colored shirts, I think each group/cabin/team gets a different color of shirt. That way they can identify which girls go with which leaders perhaps.

Yes that's what I read somewhere. And it was asked if girls could wear pants and the answer was "girls can wear pants as long as they wear a skirt over it" and I guess that's what they do when it's cold.

I can't even get a handle on what the hair of the girl with the green shirts is doing. It's crazy. Looks like a tail fan on a turkey.

After looking all the teams over, I'm going for the white shirt girls FTW! :D

Not all the girls who go to JTTH are fully in the gothard fold. Outsiders are sent there by parents/guardians who are trying to get them to God.

Yup. I suspect there are a couple of those types in this group. The Abused Girl who shall not be named essentially admitted she was cutting herself and pretty rebellious before her turn at Indoctrination Boot Camp.

Wow, that girl's hair is fucking epic! It deserves its own Facebook page or Twitter feed.

How does she sleep with that thing? Doesn't it cause neck strain? I'd ask how she swims or runs with that hair, but I assume it's a moot question, as those activities are NOT ALLOWED.

Where do these girls get their fashion and hair style inspiration? since they can't watch tv, read magazines, etc

My guess is pictures of their mothers in their pre-fundy days.

Obviously, she's a big Steel Pulse fan!

post-3034-1445199818767_thumb.jpg.jpg]

(I once found myself at a show, standing behind David Hinds, the gentleman pictured above. He was seated. I could not see over his tower of hair. I was dying to ask him how he was able to sleep in a bed with a headboard, fit into a sub-compact car, swim, wear a motorcycle helmet, etc.. Alas, I never got up the nerve to do so)

Check out the girl in the purple shirt with the big necklace and the belt (and I think she has on big earrings). She has two buttons undone! And she looks like she could be going to the mall! Scary stuff for the fundies.

On an opposite note; how about the girl in the blue shirt with transition lens glasses... poor thing.

On an opposite note; how about the girl in the blue shirt with transition lens glasses... poor thing.

Or the tiny girl on the first row in the blue shirt.

That is some record setting hair. Rarely have I seen such structures on the heads of women younger than 25 since 1994.

I just wonder how long it takes to achieve that look? Probably far more time than I would ever willingly put into a hairstyle. :think:

I am pleased that there is at least some allowance for individuality. I like how the girl in the purple with the belt accessorized.

I think she's just going for the Amy Winehouse look. She and the girl with the personal wind machine hair a couple of rows back both have false eyelashes on. They and the girl with belt! and necklace! and earrings! were probs just ready for their end-of-camp show skit, lip syncing to rehab in glittery sequin dresses and beehives.

right?

Now that I take a closer look, I wonder if those two are sisters. I mean, the one with big hair and the one with the wind-swept hair.

My guess is pictures of their mothers in their pre-fundy days.

From the queen bee girls at the ATI conference. I attended a fundy high school that was only open to children of the denomination I grew up in. We had very strict uniform requirements but, teenagers being teenagers, all the distinctions in social status were still obvious (well, obvious to us) in the way we dressed. The thing was that the things that were fashionable in the school bore very little resemblance to the things that were fashionable in the outside world. The 'cool' set had spiral perms scraped back into a French braid or a banana clip-none of this teasing and hairspraying business-and this was around 2000.

Archived