IGNORED

Mom's Corner is in the blog site (Maxwell).

Justme

During my time in high school and college, I've only ever had one open-book test. It was for a math course that involved day-to-day money management. At the time, I thought it was totally awesome because I thought my class was getting away with something, a type of legitimate cheating. I had taken ridiculously detailed notes on how to use the formulas and had most of them memorized. In hindsight, I now realize that if I had not taken all those notes, an open book wouldn't have helped me. There wouldn't have been enough time to look up all the different formulas and finish the problems, especially with the more complicated formulas involving monthly finance rates for purchasing a car.

Speaking of all things Maxwell, did Miggy ever get her freebie book from Steve? I've been wondering how the reading is going.

Hi. Yes - got the book and a bookmark with a bible verse, a whole lot of advertising material and a nice little note. Unfortunately a really heavy workload and sickness means I've only made it through the first chapter. Holidays start tomorrow and its on my goal list to read and summarise. Let me just give you the opening "... Many discussions our family had in the past ten years about the difficulty of having meaningful conversations with others. We realised this was because of a lack of conversation skills on the part of others."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. Yes - got the book and a bookmark with a bible verse, a whole lot of advertising material and a nice little note. Unfortunately a really heavy workload and sickness means I've only made it through the first chapter. Holidays start tomorrow and its on my goal list to read and summarise. Let me just give you the opening "... Many discussions our family had in the past ten years about the difficulty of having meaningful conversations with others. We realised this was because of a lack of conversation skills on the part of others."

But see, that's their whole gig. They try to make people feel like there is something wrong with them and they need help. Hey, you! You're a bad conversationalist/a bad manager of time/whatever your problems are and here's your solution!

From Stevehovah's conversational how-to:

"Many discussions our family had in the past ten years about the difficulty of having meaningful conversations with others. We realised this was because of a lack of conversation skills on the part of others."

Ay, papi!!!

What's "meaningful" if it doesn't have to do with death and where you go afterward...

and...

"WE realized this was because of A LACK of conversation skills in OTHERS"?!?!

Is he speaking for the mouse in his pocket, or do the other Maxes all believe that they alone are near God's perfection?

And of course, nothing is ever Stevehovah's fault. It's those temptatious women in the workplace, the restaurant servers who are willfully there to make a living and not share with Steve their prayer requests, and finally, people who lack conversational skills.

BTW, I believe it would be "conversational skills," and not "conversation skills." Perhaps along with a book on memory aids, Maxhell House Publishing can give Poor Sarah an assignment to write a book on proper use of grammar in written and spoken English?

.... Naaaah........ :angry-banghead:

Thanks, Miggy. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Get plenty of rest, and whenever you have a free moment, I'm sure we will all be waiting. :)

During my time in high school and college, I've only ever had one open-book test. It was for a math course that involved day-to-day money management. At the time, I thought it was totally awesome because I thought my class was getting away with something, a type of legitimate cheating. I had taken ridiculously detailed notes on how to use the formulas and had most of them memorized. In hindsight, I now realize that if I had not taken all those notes, an open book wouldn't have helped me. There wouldn't have been enough time to look up all the different formulas and finish the problems, especially with the more complicated formulas involving monthly finance rates for purchasing a car.

Speaking of all things Maxwell, did Miggy ever get her freebie book from Steve? I've been wondering how the reading is going.

For one high school bio test, we were all given handouts with the outline of a hand and told that we could fill that hand with as many notes as we wanted and use them for the test. (No going outside the lines!!!) We spent hours finding creative ways to cram that hand with information. If I recall, the test was about all the body systems...digestive, etc. The day of the test arrived, and I barely looked at my notes. I had written so small that it took too long to find details, and it was just easier to rely on my own recall. It's hard to avoid absorbing at least a little bit of info (even just a little bit) when you work at parsing and processing notes for something like that.

I'm an engineer, and it was standard for my courses in college to be open notes, open book, or both. And they were still hard. If your test consists of questions that can be easily answered from notes, then your test is not testing thinking skills. Some subjects are based on memorization by nature, especially at the lower levels. But if notes and book make a test easy, then the test is asking the wrong questions.

I was just going to write the exact same thing. I, too, am an engineer. In most classes we were allowed at least a formula sheet, if not open book. It wasn't about regurgitating answers, it was about the student's ability to work their way through a problem from start to finish. Some of these problems would have many, many parts that relied on the correctness of previous parts.

Problems were never plug and chug. Nearly all of the time, there was a lot of work assessing/manipulating the problem in order to decide which equation to use. My favorite test problem was in heat transfer. The question was "how long has this person been dead?". We were only given their current temperature, outside temperature and a few other factors like height. Most of us had no clue, but we had to figure out that a human body mostly resembled a cylinder and to apply heat transfer equations that applied to cylinders. 90% of the class got that wrong. I got it correct, because I had taken good notes and the professor had covered a similar, but different type of problem in class.

Edited because there=/= their

Archived