IGNORED

Mom's Corner is in the blog site (Maxwell).

Justme

During my time in high school and college, I've only ever had one open-book test. It was for a math course that involved day-to-day money management. At the time, I thought it was totally awesome because I thought my class was getting away with something, a type of legitimate cheating. I had taken ridiculously detailed notes on how to use the formulas and had most of them memorized. In hindsight, I now realize that if I had not taken all those notes, an open book wouldn't have helped me. There wouldn't have been enough time to look up all the different formulas and finish the problems, especially with the more complicated formulas involving monthly finance rates for purchasing a car.

Speaking of all things Maxwell, did Miggy ever get her freebie book from Steve? I've been wondering how the reading is going.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Maxwells post things on their blog sometimes due to what Stevie reads here, so maybe something prompted him to post Teri's Corner here? I find her Corners (well, and his too) just way too long to get through one in entirety. Hopefully all the important stuff is said in the first few paragraphs because after that, I think most people lose interest.

Now Sarah has put the Dad's Corner up on their blog too. Are they trying to get more people to subscribe to their Corners?

I don't know if many of you have seen the way they put out the monthly Corners to people who subscribe. It's like a news letter where the Corners are the major part, but they also give quick blurbs about what else is going on at Maxwell house (baby on the way, their trips). They also advertise their products (and trips) there.

I'm thinking they are really trying to step up their marketing.

The recent blog posts have definitely taken a marketing turn. It's kind of sad. I have no interest in their wares, but I like to see glimpses of their personal lives.

Totally agree.

Back in freshman Biology for Bio Majors, I had Dr. T for part of the course. He invented the T. method of staining that helps identify certain diseases from cell cultures.

He told us in the first lab the he *EXPECTED* us to always have our notes/process step sheets/etc out on the table.

He said he has a 27ish step process of staining NAMED after him, he invented/developed that process, he knows it inside and out..,.and the last time he went w/o using a checksheet he skipped a step. Skipping that step nearly cost someone's life because they didn't have the info on which treatment to start using until they cultured more bacteria.

Learn to take good notes in life!

I think the Maxwells post things on their blog sometimes due to what Stevie reads here, so maybe something prompted him to post Teri's Corner here? I find her Corners (well, and his too) just way too long to get through one in entirety. Hopefully all the important stuff is said in the first few paragraphs because after that, I think most people lose interest.

ITA. They say a LOT about nearly nothing, and you can skip most of it to get the point.

Well, maybe if his kids took NOTES, they'd actually be able to write!! I glanced at a few other corners ( I just can't stand reading them). They were all shilling their crap. Time to schedule, buy this book. Can your children hold a conversation? Buy this book. Their "business" must really be slow as they are becoming much more aggressive peddling their snake oil....

Well since their business is all about raising children for Jesus and keeping them pure and then sending them out to presumeably become functional adults (even if the girls are only ever SAHMs that's still a big responsibility) and yet they have 4 adult children living at home including a 31 year old and none of their daughters are married, and none of their sons seem truly 'independent' it doesn't seem surprising. I wouldn't buy into the courtship model of a family for whom it clearly isn't working.

I think it's been speculated that the Maxwells are going to run out of steam if they can't marry off their adult children soon or keep having broken courtships. They have eight children, the youngest is 17, and have only married off two of them. Their courtship success rates hovers at 50%. Yet, their selling point is that they can raise "wholesome, pure" children who can still engage in the outside world.

Well, even fundies are not buying it when they see the eldest daughter still unmarried and uncourted at 31, and two broken engagements out of 4 courtships. Moreover, the children's career all seem connected to the family business. Not to say that being in a family business is a bad thing, or even that living with family until marriage is a bad thing....but people are probably thinking it's not just out of frugality/convenience that ALL their adult children are still connected to their parents, rather it's the Maxwell method is raising a generation of children who can't cut the apron strings.

Out of eight children, you'd think at least one would be able to operate independently of their family, perhaps enter into a separate career field. But no, the fact that all are attached to the Maxwell "ministry" seems to imply that they've raised their children to be forever dependent on Mommy and Daddy.

It's sad to see two commenters from Teri's Mom's Corners mentioning they are going to decline an invitation for one of their kids, look into stopping church activities, and one mother said she's going to cut down on her own socializing outside the family.

Family togetherness is fine, but if you have to isolate yourself and your kids to achieve it, something is wrong.

It's sad to see two commenters from Teri's Mom's Corners mentioning they are going to decline an invitation for one of their kids, look into stopping church activities, and one mother said she's going to cut down on her own socializing outside the family.

Family togetherness is fine, but if you have to isolate yourself and your kids to achieve it, something is wrong.

I agree it is sad. The worst are the posters who have said they want to be like Teri & Steve. Some other ones that I have read r although they respect their own parents and how they are raised. The respect the Teri & Steve more.

The Corners are just depressing, although I did like the Fundiespeak line from Steve's with the young homeschooled fellow pumping gas for a season. Spring? Fall? Football? Fundie seasons are a strange way to mark time.

The Corners are just depressing, although I did like the Fundiespeak line from Steve's with the young homeschooled fellow pumping gas for a season. Spring? Fall? Football? Fundie seasons are a strange way to mark time.

I thought that was interesting, too. The way he said it implied that there is some kind of shame about having a job pumping gas and that he felt he needed to protect this young Christian boy from having such a menial job by explaining that it was only for a short time (oh, sorry, a "season"). If the kid hadn't been a Christian, Steve would have tried to paint an example of him in a negative way, you can be sure.

It makes you wonder how true Stevie''s story is, whether some of the details are changed or if they are complete bull. Only Stevie would get served by a home schooled parsters son. The same with this ladies that are always emailing Teri, or most 0f their book reviews. :liar: :naughty: something to think about Stevie?

So Steve met an articulate 14-year-old, eh? *scoff* Photos or it didn't happen!

I'm not saying that there aren't articulate children. I like to think that all of mine were, and not because I had the advice of Stevehovah and Terifying Maxwell in raising them to be that way. But like the poster just before me, any thing that guy says is suspect without documentation.

The dreadful duo are getting lax in what they allow in from their fans (or what they write as being from fans, either way works for me). Look at what "Debbie" said:

I see our children truly loving each other, and continuing to work at a close and spiritually connected relationship with each other, even once they leave home, and it is an incredible blessing.

"Debbie," "Debbie," "Debbie"!!! How far from home did you let your children leave? Anything more than 0.6 miles from the motherfathership is not allowed; you are aware of this, right?

Kudos to those of you who have noted that as the children [sic] get longer in the tooth, that as nobody's magically appeared to replace Lucky Elizabeth for Homeowner Joseph, and that as Poor Sarah continues to have the saddest "smile" I've seen in a woman approaching her mid-30s ... that as all that happens, bookings are dropping off (are even the faithful beginning to wonder what's up?) and that the shilling is (one-ton)ramping up like never before.

What would I give for a 20-minute interview with Teri's sister. Honestly?--I'd give her the assurance of a totally off-the-record Q&A. I wouldn't report on what she divulged. It would just satisfy my mind that S&T are mess-ups (or it would boggle my mind, if Sister said that the children - including Poor Sarah - are delightfully happy and content).

It makes you wonder how true Stevie''s story is, whether some of the details are changed or if they are complete bull. Only Stevie would get served by a home schooled parsters son. The same with this ladies that are always emailing Teri, or most 0f their book reviews. :liar: :naughty: something to think about Stevie?

Yes, how fortuitous that Steve just happened to be waited on by a shiny , happy son of a preacher man.

They so heavily edit other's comments to line up with their beliefs, it wouldn't surprise me if Steve "edits" his own stories to align with whatever point he thinks he's making.

I wonder what he means by an articulate 14 year old. Ive seen Sarah's writing, hopefully her speech isnt that stiff and awkward in real life too. He might just be able to speak normally in a way the Maxwells cant.

I remember being surprised by the report from a Maxwell sales pitchconference that said Mary's little spiel kind of petered out as she mumbled/muttered the last few words of her speech. And that Poor Sarah advanced from the back of the stage (that's where she stood for the balance of the concert, holding a guitar or banjo that she never played), and introduced herself as "Sarah, I'm the oldest, and also the shortest" and also mumbled the ending of her shtick as she turned to barrel back to the background.

Only the boys were full-voiced, and even then one of them was reported to have mumbled. Oh, and the oldest grandchild recited the 23rd Psalm in full voice, but she was 3 at the time. We'll see how confident she sounds at age 15 or 16 after having been told to defer to her boy cousin Joshua for several years. :naughty:

I can buy that the Maxwells get fan mail, if only because they do have a public website that people can search for, and so all 6 fans across the US can end up there as a self-selecting group.

But just happening to run into a homeschooled gas station attendant? Those are some odds, I guess...

When Stevie describes meeting the kid at the Shell station he says "Then I learned his name, that he was a Christian, that he was homeschooled, and that his father had been a pastor".

Doesn't it make you wonder how all that personal information came about? I'm sure Steve bombarded him with questions. I mean, really, how many young kids are going to divulge that kind of information to a stranger without prodding? Unbelievable.

In case it gets deleted, here is the comment in question:

"Happy Birthday Jesse!

Hope you have a fun day. Glad to hear you enjoy playing the piano and your garden knowledge sounds a blessing. My lawn needs some TLC, pond needs draining and my bush needs a trim. We could sure do with more godly garden experts here.

I love espressos too. Here in Australia you can buy espresso flavoured chocolate and Pepsi.

Hope you have a blessed day.

Blessings

Kylie M."

Bwah, ha, ha.

Stevie boy would shit bibles if he knew how well adjusted, honest, compassionate and intelligent my 21 year old niece is. I know we're all proud of our family, but she really just knocks all our socks off. Even with her government education, freedom to date and have a life outside her family, both parents working outside the home, going away to college, having boyfriends, living on her own, having jobs...the whole shebang of bad things for human beings, according to Stevie...she is not only fully capable of having a conversation with anyone about anything, in large part because of her compassion; her willingness and ability to see 'other' sides of discussions and situations. She's a rare gem in the world overall and is going to make the world a better place.

Just so you all know I'm not just a proud aunt because my other niece...not so much like her sister. Loved and adored just as much, and we're all just as proud of her, but as a person - she's not even close to her sister. This isn't just talking about my pride in my own.

No daily bible study or religion would have made her a better person. In fact, I think any of that shit would have stifled her and shut down what is her natural character. Which I know in Stevie's world is the entire point, but still.

My niece could talk circles around any Maxwell and she'd do it without once offending - aside from the fact that her entire life is offensive to them.

When I read Steve's corner I felt ill. He's so narrow minded and just plain ugly. He's prevented his children from becoming whatever their natural traits and abilities may have allowed them to become. He's got robots without brains, just what a cult leader needs, but it's bad parenting. Among the worst.

Check out the comments on Stevie's "Raising a Winner" post. 8-)

Emily on September 17, 2013 at 10:25 am said:

What an amazing, blessed coincidence that you were served by an articulate, homeschooled preacher’s son! What are the odds? Your stories never fail to convict and inspire

Stevie boy would shit bibles if he knew how well adjusted, honest, compassionate and intelligent my 21 year old niece is. I know we're all proud of our family, but she really just knocks all our socks off. Even with her government education, freedom to date and have a life outside her family, both parents working outside the home, going away to college, having boyfriends, living on her own, having jobs...the whole shebang of bad things for human beings, according to Stevie...she is not only fully capable of having a conversation with anyone about anything, in large part because of her compassion; her willingness and ability to see 'other' sides of discussions and situations. She's a rare gem in the world overall and is going to make the world a better place.

That's all very nice but does she know where she's going when she dies?

That home about St Peter and the Catholic would fit well in the context of the Maxwells:

A man dies and St Peter meets him at the pearly gates. He looks on the roll and says, "Oh yes, I see your name on the list. Come right in but I need to make sure you keep your voice down. Now follow me and I'll show you where to go".

The man follows St Peter. They walk down some golden streets, see some lions hanging out with some lambs and all of that stuff. The man is amazed: "Wow! I've never seen golden streets before".

St Peter says, "I'm glad you like it here but I need you to remember to keep it down."

They get to a heavenly mansion and St Peter days, "Here's the mansion Jesus has built for you. "You can have a look around. I'll send some angels around shortly to help you get settled in. But I need you to know it's very important to keep it quiet. Don't speak to loudly and keep the music down, especially if it's anything other than badly played bluegrass."

"Why?" says the man.

"Well", says St Peter, "the Maxwells are next door and they think they're the only ones here."

Archived