IGNORED

Mom's Corner is in the blog site (Maxwell).

Justme

Sarah posted an entire Mom's Corner in the blog. It's about siblings (pt 7). {{yawnnn}} I just skimmed it. Guess even the FREE corners are lacking in traffic. :wink-penguin:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want excitement, read Steve's for September. He admonishes a public school teacher for having her students take notes to study for a test. Steve says how can you expect those kids to become hard workers. Apparently Steve's children were expected to learn via osmosis and never write anything down for study. Oh those miscreant GOVERNMENT SCHOOL TEACHERS and their wiley ways.

I read all the mom's corners today. Different goals, I guess. My goals weren't to raise my kids to be best friends. My goals were to raise them to go out in the world and make a difference. Our definitions of making a difference aren't the same either. I don't consider making money off God's name and calling it a ministry making a difference. I call that evil.

If you want excitement, read Steve's for September. He admonishes a public school teacher for having her students take notes to study for a test. Steve says how can you expect those kids to become hard workers. Apparently Steve's children were expected to learn via osmosis and never write anything down for study. Oh those miscreant GOVERNMENT SCHOOL TEACHERS and their wiley ways.

Well, maybe if his kids took NOTES, they'd actually be able to write!! I glanced at a few other corners ( I just can't stand reading them). They were all shilling their crap. Time to schedule, buy this book. Can your children hold a conversation? Buy this book. Their "business" must really be slow as they are becoming much more aggressive peddling their snake oil....

Dear Steve, perhaps some ppl want children to have more out if their education than a head full if facts to regurgitate on command. Perhaps skills like critical thinking, constructing a logical argument and learning to communicate said argument also have a place. Just something to think about.

I read Steve's Corner. He wasn't objecting to taking notes per se; it was open book exams where the students were allowed to use those notes.

I read Steve's Corner. He wasn't objecting to taking notes per se; it was open book exams where the students were allowed to use those notes.

Right & he had an issue with that. I don't see a problem, epically if the subject was a hard one.

I see nothing wrong with open notebook tests. The student learns to take good notes ( or pay the price of a bad grade). He or she learns to look back on those notes and apply what he or she wrote to the answer.

How many situations in our post school, grown up lives do we have to memorize and regurgitate things? Very few jobs require this. Taking good notes and knowing how to look things up is very helpful in many jobs.

I will sometimes let my students use notes for tests. Volume and surface area, for example. They always get formula sheets. It allows me to use higher order questions on my tests. I don't care that they've memorized formulas. We can always looks those up. What I care about is their problem solving skills and their ability to think through a problem.

I'm an engineer, and it was standard for my courses in college to be open notes, open book, or both. And they were still hard. If your test consists of questions that can be easily answered from notes, then your test is not testing thinking skills. Some subjects are based on memorization by nature, especially at the lower levels. But if notes and book make a test easy, then the test is asking the wrong questions.

I see nothing wrong with open notebook tests. The student learns to take good notes ( or pay the price of a bad grade). He or she learns to look back on those notes and apply what he or she wrote to the answer.

How many situations in our post school, grown up lives do we have to memorize and regurgitate things? Very few jobs require this. Taking good notes and knowing how to look things up is very helpful in many jobs.

Totally agree.

I'm an engineer, and it was standard for my courses in college to be open notes, open book, or both. And they were still hard. If your test consists of questions that can be easily answered from notes, then your test is not testing thinking skills. Some subjects are based on memorization by nature, especially at the lower levels. But if notes and book make a test easy, then the test is asking the wrong questions.

This, especially the last sentence. Sadly, we all know the MaxKids education isn't about learning to think-it's about learning the right answer and regurgitatung on cue. What's that quote attributed to Yeats? "Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."

Describes the situation perfectly.

Thiiiiiis. Some of the hardest tests I've had in my life have been open-book tests, all in engineering.

And that's before we start talking about final projects. I'm surprised that Steve, coming as he does from an engineering background, doesn't remember this sort of thing.

Though, it seems the type of knowledge that fundies like is a sort of received wisdom. They read books that are True and they accept that Truth and the interpretation (yes, "the") of what that means. If they're asked to cough up that on a test and it was an open notes test, I can see why they might look down on that. But as you said, that's not a good test!

Though I suppose mainly they just care about the good PERSON test...

So in this sibling-focused Mom's Corner, "Debbie" natters on for paragraphs which boil down to "I just did exactly what you said, Teri, to the letter, and my children turned out perfectly."

:roll:

I use notes all the time in my job. Wtf is wrong with him?

The problem is, obviously, that you have a job! Women shouldn't have jobs. Now, men can have jobs, but only jobs that don't require notes or looking things up. Like Steve's job- the one where he spouts nonsense off the top of his head. No notes required!

I will sometimes let my students use notes for tests. Volume and surface area, for example. They always get formula sheets. It allows me to use higher order questions on my tests. I don't care that they've memorized formulas. We can always looks those up. What I care about is their problem solving skills and their ability to think through a problem.

Sounds like u r a good teacher & u want your students to do well.

During the years we have our children living in our homes, we have the ability to influence their relationships with each other.

First sentence I read and my first thought was "During the 30-50 years" because they don't seem to let their kids leave.

I am inclined to agree that they may be running short on funds. That is the downside to no one working outside the home at a real job with a real paycheck. Eventually, even in a paid for house with conservative spending and a nest egg, when the economy taking results in almost no interest, when the business atmosphere for your goods changes--without a job bringing money in from the outside, things can get tight.

Has anyone been reading the comments that her corner post has gotten? I sware the people make comments really have to make up their own minds and not listen to that the crap the Maxwells put out!! Also a thought about sibling relationships, what about Steve? Does he get along w/ his sister?

Steve is exaggerating the amount of tests that are open-note. I've been in school for what seems like forever, and very rarely have I taken an open-note test. (I also don't think open-note tests are bad! You still have to know the material in order to answer intelligently in the allotted time.)

Steve is exaggerating the amount of tests that are open-note. I've been in school for what seems like forever, and very rarely have I taken an open-note test. (I also don't think open-note tests are bad! You still have to know the material in order to answer intelligently in the allotted time.)

ITA. It's pretty rare for me to have tests that are open note at any level.

I dreaded open-book/open-note exams because that meant they were going to be much harder than a normal test.

Archived