IGNORED

Yemen: 8 year old girl dies from internal injuries on weddin

AtroposHeart

And I know that child brides are found in non Muslim cultures as well, I'm just referring to this instance and others like it. Other cultures have their own strange justifications for child brides.

Warren Jeffs' favorite justification for the practice has always been to marry 12-year-old girls off and get them pregnant before they can become educated, realize they are being abused and get away from the FLDS cult. In one of his endless sermons, he states this directly.

I cannot believe that any deity would want children to be raped. These kids should be playing and going to school, not locked away as "brides". It makes me so sick.

Muhammed, the perfect human and excellent model of conduct as the muslims call him, married his favourite wife Aisha when he was 50+ and she was six. He comsummated the marriage when she was nine.

Source: Sahih al-Bukari, one of the hadiths.

If this story turns out to be fabricated, I am more than happy. However, children are married off at a very young age across the world.

Here is an interesting article from National Geographic about child brides:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/ ... orney-text

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/vid ... re-nglive/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... otography/

A February 2009 law set the minimum age for marriage at 17, but it was repealed after some conservative lawmakers called it un-Islamic.

Yeah because it is so super islamic to let children bleed to death because they were raped under the veil of marriage.

I just can't find any appropiate words for my anger and sadness.

[edit] I should read the whole thread before posting. Nevertheless, what I wrote still stands.

Although I would be more than happy, if this child still lives and isn't married, there are so many more who are not as lucky.

:( So tragic. And i hope this case ends up not being true. But there are sadly so many more cases where it really does happen. All over the world, across all kinds of cultures and religions. :(

I hope it's not true - but I can't say that I'd trust politicians or journalists for the truth. Also - the father could have had more than one daughter, the police didn't specify which daughter he wanted to see, and so he sent another daughter. I wouldn't be surprised if the people involved are trying to cover it up. :( I guess I'm turning into a cynic.

I don't understand how anyone can find a religious justification for marrying prepubescent children. I know the justification usually used is that Mohammed married Aisha when she was nine, although many Muslim traditions claim that the marriage was unconsummated until she was older. But surely even the very religious and very uneducated would recognise puberty as the earliest point where a child could be considered "adult" and eligible to marry? Isn't marriage meant to be about reproduction? They aren't even paying lip service to that when they marry girls under 13.

I can´t find words to say how sorry I am for this poor little girl. May she rest in peace and may her husband never be happy and potent again, that bastard.

About Mohammed and Aisha: It´s hard to tell how old she was, there are different sources, you´ll find a range from 9 - 16. One has to consider the different times as well, it was normal to marry a younger girl at this times. However, a lot of sources say that Mohammed waited for her first period before he had sex with her. She lived in his household before, but they didn´t had sexual contacts.

Again: This cannot be historical proofen and I - as a muslima - am more than ashamed that some sick men are telling the world that it´s "islamic" to marry kids. :angry-banghead:

I'm also one who hopes this isn't true, but child brides is a serious thing going on in the world, and it's mostly girls who are forced to marry men old enough to be their fathers or in many cases, their grandfathers and raped.

I have three friends from Yemen - one came to Canada when she was a teenager - about ten plus years ago. The other two are married to each other and they've been here together maybe five (he's been here a lot longer than she has). It is amazing the difference between the woman who left as a teen and the one who left as an adult and regularly goes back to visit her

family. What I've found comparing that couple to my other Arab friends is that there is a vast difference between the Yemeni version of Islam and how a woman is supposed to be and how mainstream Muslims practice and treat women. Sadly, child brides twre doesn't surprise me.

Archived