IGNORED

Need Queen Size Crochet afghan pattern

Mela99

I am looking for a good crochet pattern for a nice, cozy, queen sized afghan. I've been meaning to make one for our bed for forever. I have the yarn already, but no pattern.

I would say my skill level is intermediate and I'm open to pretty much anything - other than patterns with squares and strips and stuff you need to sew together. I'd like a one-piece pattern.

Anybody have a suggestion?

• 2 months later...
I am looking for a good crochet pattern for a nice, cozy, queen sized afghan. I've been meaning to make one for our bed for forever. I have the yarn already, but no pattern.

I would say my skill level is intermediate and I'm open to pretty much anything - other than patterns with squares and strips and stuff you need to sew together. I'd like a one-piece pattern.

Anybody have a suggestion?

I have a couple "go to" patterns that I use for everything because they can be sized for whatever you want just depending on how big you make your beginning chain.

Your chain for both needs to be divisible by 3 +1. For a baby blanket I chain somewhere between 133 and 151 depending on the type of yarn and size of hook I'm using, to give you an idea.

Pattern 1:

Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; ch 1 turn

Row 2: sc in first sc *skip next sc, 1sc 1dc in next sc* repeat across until last sc; sc in last sc; ch1 turn

Row 3: sc in first sc *skip next dc, 1sc 1dc in next sc* repeat across until last sc; sc in last sc; ch1 turn

Row 4: repeat row 3 until desired size

Last Row: sc in each stitch across; DO NOT FASTEN OFF

Edging:

Round 1: sc evenly around, 3sc in corners

Round 2: reverse sc in each sc around

Pattern 2:

Row 1: (dc, ch2, sc) in 4th ch from hook *skip next 2 ch, (2dc, ch2, sc) in next ch, repeat from * across; ch3 turn

Row 2: (dc, ch2, sc) in first ch2 space, (2dc, ch2, sc) in each ch2 space across; ch3 turn

Row 3: repeat row 2 until desired size

Edging will complete itself automatically as you work the pattern, so once it's the desired size you are done :)

Here are examples of both patterns:

post-132-14451998512532_thumb.jpg

post-132-1445199851293_thumb.jpg

post-132-1445199851328_thumb.jpg

post-132-14451998513711_thumb.jpg

If you try either of them and run into problems or have questions let me know. I can do both of these in my sleep. I double checked my typing, but I can read a post 3 times and still miss typos, so I may have missed something in the pattern. Hopefully not, though.

• 2 months later...

I've been crocheting for about 50 years but haven't ever made my own patterns because I'm seriously weak in the math dept. When you say divided by 3 + 1 are you saying (for simplicity sake) that you would chain 31 if you were making something that small?

• 1 year later...

I realize this thread is old, but I just wanted to say that I like both of those patterns Curious.

I have done a queen sized granny square afghan and a twin sized afghan, that was made with squares, but not granny squares.

I like working on the granny squares because they are small and portable, so I can take them on the road with me, and not have a big bulky afghan to carry around. And being a woman of a certain age, I get too hot when I am doing a big piece that covers me as I work, so the squares are great for that as well, BUT, and this is a big BUT , I hate to sew those damn things together. If I could crochet the squares and then pay someone to sew them together, I would be content to do granny squares all the time. There are so many amazing patterns for squares out there that I am just dying to try. But ugh, After sewing up these last two afghans that I made, I just can't face that again for awhile.

Archived