IGNORED

Any Suggestions for Corner of Joy?

0 kids n not countin

Thoughts on Moving. Can you help us?

My husband and I have been tossing around ideas for our next step in life. While we have enjoyed our life where we are for the last few years, we only moved here for my husband's job (beggars couldn't be choosers during a recession!). However, with several years of experience under his belt, and the wish for a weekend off now and again, we have been seriously considering a move. We are looking for our forever place and know that where we are now isn't quite right for us. First of all, it is VERY liberal, and the limited number of churches has made finding a church home very difficult (we are currently "settled" in a church, but have not committed to become members).

So now we have this super daunting task of deciding "what next?".

Here is what we are looking for:

1) A conservative town

2) Size doesn't matter, but it needs to have manufacturing companies for my engineer husband to find a job

3) A conservative non-denominational or Baptist church presence

4) Character! I love a cute towns, such as those with pretty downtowns, zoos, libraries, old buildings, stone hedges, cafes, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, parks, and the well-cared-for feeling

5) Affordable. I would like to be able to afford a place with a roof.

5) Preferrably in the mid-west. While we have tossed around other regions, we just really think it is important to be close enough to our families to pop over for a weekend visit without buying a plane ticket. That said, we are open to considering all options.

So, this is where you come in! I would LOVE to get your input! Where do you think my husband and I should think about moving? Have you read about/traveled to/lived in a place which would meet some of our requirements? How do you think we should go about finding a new place to live?

All comments and suggestions would be appreciated!

Someone suggested Fayetteville, Arkansas: :roll:

Has Arkansas every crossed your mind? Specifically, Northwest Arkansas? Fayetteville is a college town, this is true, so there will be liberal elements. However, it also has TONS of churches. Also there are other cities in NW Arkansas such as Bentonville, where the Walmart headquarters are. This area of the state is higher income, yet housing is super affordable. Also the crime rate is very low. Technically it is in the South, but it's so close to the Midwest!

First of all, it is VERY liberal, and the limited number of churches has made finding a church home very difficult

Is there really a town so liberal that it limits the number of churches? I would think that the size of the town would be a bigger factor. I used to live in the People's Republic of Madison, and a Google Maps search shows there are at least 10 different Baptist churches there.

Preferrably?

I imagine she's spent more time in downtowns, zoos, old buildings, stone hedges, cafes, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, and parks rather than libraries.

I don't understand the idea that a liberal city has less churches. I live in very liberal southern California and cannot throw a rock without hitting a church. Baptist churches are everywhere. I don't think it's that her town has a limited number of churches, I think the problem is that her town has a limited number of churches preaching hate.

Where I'm from Grand Rapids, MI. Amway capital of the world. Where we hold the record for highest number of churches on one street. (Truth be told I do love it here). :-)

I live in a very "blue" area (Montgomery County, MD) and on the main street near my house, we have three churches practically in a row, one a Baptist church. Hell, we have a Pentecostal church right in my neighborhood. It's a house that was converted into a church...don't ask me how they got the permit for that.

I live in a very "blue" area (Montgomery County, MD)

I live in Anne Arundel County! We're kind of red, though, because of Fort Meade and the high military population.

She could move to Topeka, KS. Not that we need more ignorant hate in this city, but it has everything they want. :cry:

I had to laugh reading her list. Then I thought well Portland would be a nightmare for her in regards to almost everything on her list.. Also this idea liberal equals horrible and wrong, while conservative is the best thing since slice bread is just funny in a way. Shouldn't they want to be in an area where their beliefs are challenged, so they can become stronger Christians. Instead what they really want is an echo chamber of their own beliefs and to not have to grow. I always find it interesting when people will say "oh this church has helped me grow so much spiritually." What I usually hear is "oh this church just helped to reinforce my already held beliefs and fit in with my world view.

Where I'm from Grand Rapids, MI. Amway capital of the world. Where we hold the record for highest number of churches on one street. (Truth be told I do love it here). :-)

I grew up in Grand Rapids, and it immediately crossed my mind here. good old "Bible Belt of the Midwest." That said, when my ex and I first moved to Portland, OR, I was surprised at how many churches I saw, especially since some publication or another had just named us the "least religious city in the US" (not sure how accurate that actually is). My ex just replied with "'least religious city in the US' is akin to 'healthiest menu item at McDonald's.'" and I mean really, he has a point, we have our very own Portland Mars hill, spouting off hatred/misogyny left and right, and that fundie church that was recently in the news for suing for a negative Yelp review is here too. They protest at the abortion clinic every week :/

I grew up in Grand Rapids, and it immediately crossed my mind here. good old "Bible Belt of the Midwest." That said, when my ex and I first moved to Portland, OR, I was surprised at how many churches I saw, especially since some publication or another had just named us the "least religious city in the US" (not sure how accurate that actually is). My ex just replied with "'least religious city in the US' is akin to 'healthiest menu item at McDonald's.'" and I mean really, he has a point, we have our very own Portland Mars hill, spouting off hatred/misogyny left and right, and that fundie church that was recently in the news for suing for a negative Yelp review is here too. They protest at the abortion clinic every week :/

Portland as a city I think is not very religious, but like any city we will have lots of churches. Reminds me of the old small town joke of having to have equeal churches to bar ratio. Religious adherence isn't necessarily connected to the number of churches one has in a city. There are thoughts many people who do not believe, will go to church for the social aspect and sense of belonging. Then there is a sense of curiousity and exploring the unknown, which I think people may take part in. Then you have the fact Portland does attract a lot of transplants from other areas of the country. As far as the Mars Hill thing I did chuckle at the welcome the neighborhood gave them. I didn't agree it was the best approach or right, but had to laugh and think well gee you don't set up your church where you rail against homosexuality on a regular basis, in the gay neighbor hood of Portland. The gays are not going to say oh hey let us make you some baked goods and you can tell me I'm horrible and going to hell sounds like fun. :roll:

I was just going to say Grand Rapids. I live in the middle of the palm. My (super liberal) family refers to Grand Rapids as "those baptists out west." :)

Stillwater, MN, would fit the bill for many of her requirements. It's a beautiful town with lots of antique shops, character, etc. Very close to Mpls/St Paul with lots of job opportunities for her hubby, I would imagine.

However, I wouldn't call it "conservative," and while there are a lot of churches, since it's MN they are typically Catholic and Lutheran. There may be some Baptist and non-denoms around too, though.

Stillwater, MN, would fit the bill for many of her requirements. It's a beautiful town with lots of antique shops, character, etc. Very close to Mpls/St Paul with lots of job opportunities for her hubby, I would imagine.

However, I wouldn't call it "conservative," and while there are a lot of churches, since it's MN they are typically Catholic and Lutheran. There may be some Baptist and non-denoms around too, though.

Isn't Stillwater in Michelle Bachman's district? Perfect!

I had to laugh reading her list. Then I thought well Portland would be a nightmare for her in regards to almost everything on her list.. Also this idea liberal equals horrible and wrong, while conservative is the best thing since slice bread is just funny in a way. Shouldn't they want to be in an area where their beliefs are challenged, so they can become stronger Christians. Instead what they really want is an echo chamber of their own beliefs and to not have to grow. I always find it interesting when people will say "oh this church has helped me grow so much spiritually." What I usually hear is "oh this church just helped to reinforce my already held beliefs and fit in with my world view.

Does this mean I should want to move to Arkansas to strengthen my knowledge that right wing people are selfish, dumb assholes?

There is a huge Baptist church in the middle of the city where my university is, between my (very liberal) university campus and another (even more liberal) university campus. They love to post incendiary church signs being condescending to liberals and making pretty blatant political statements. It's maddening, but yeah, conservative churches exist in the most liberal areas.

I don't understand the idea that a liberal city has less churches. I live in very liberal southern California and cannot throw a rock without hitting a church. Baptist churches are everywhere. I don't think it's that her town has a limited number of churches, I think the problem is that her town has a limited number of churches preaching hate.

Seriously. I live in LA and there are, I believe, 8 churches and a couple of synagogues within a mile radius of me. Several are Baptist. (There are also several medical marijuana clinics. Maybe she should give those a try.)

Anoka County, Minnesota. NW of Minneapolis. Bachman Territory

Almost anywhere in the south but Georgia has this:

Forsyth County, GA

Romney-81% of vote

U.S. Representative- Republican

State Representatives- Republican

District 1-Republican

District 2- Republican

District 3- Republican

District 4- Republican

District 5- Republican

Cherokee County, GA